Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Fluoroantimonic Acid - The Strongest Acid in the World

trussmonkey25

No match for the acid blood in RIdley Scotts alien though :p
View attachment 70823
First thing that came to mind. Keep the baking soda handy in case one bleeds on you. In the video watching that drumstick being burned with acid made my skin crawl. That needs to be included into OSHA safety classes

Last edited:

blueasthesky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty scary stuff! I’m scared of your basic HCL 😳

-Alex

paul1598419

That took me back to my chemistry courses in college. Many courses and labs. Thanks for the memories.

Seoul_lasers

Strong yes, but it is quite containable in teflon and other fluorinated plastics.

Ears and Eggs

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another very cool video from Thoisoi2 showing the powerful superacids chloro and fluorosulfonic acid.

paul1598419

In college we often spilled concentrated sulfuric acid on our skin and as long as you get to the basin and rinse it off it won't burn you at all. I would be far more concerned with getting concentrated NaOH on my skin. Even oxidizers like 70% H2O2, or hydrogen peroxide, is more dangerous.

Ears and Eggs

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, with a lot of common acids, even in concentrated form, you seem to get a little bit of time to wash it off before any harm is done. As long as it's not a superacid or something with nasty toxic effects like hydrofluoric acid.

Later in this video, he intentionally pours some of the >95% Fuming Nitric Acid on his finger and no real harm is done.

Anthony P

LPF Site Supporter
In college we often spilled concentrated sulfuric acid on our skin and as long as you get to the basin and rinse it off it won't burn you at all. I would be far more concerned with getting concentrated NaOH on my skin. Even oxidizers like 70% H2O2, or hydrogen peroxide, is more dangerous.
To this day, I have a scar on my little toe from a small drop of NaOH that dripped on my shoe in the lab about 20 years ago.

skijohn

I think I showed this before but Hank talks about fluorosulfonic acid, Hanks commentary is the best! :ROFLMAO:

Ears and Eggs

Super Moderator
Staff member
When dealing with really tough, set in, protein stains on your anime body pillow, fluorosulfonic acid can be a lifesaver! :ROFLMAO: