Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FLASHLIGHT vs LASER stranded on an island

*THE POLL* Once & for all Flashlight v/s Laser

• High Powered Flashlight of your choice

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • High Powered Laser of your choice

Votes: 22 56.4%

• Total voters
When I go on camping trips I like to bring a big parabolic mirror. It will start fires easily and never needs to be recharged or refueled.

How does it work at night? :na:

You start your fire before the sun goes down and make a torch. Or walk by the moonlight that illuminates your island. ;)

How do you think people got around before electricity?

You start your fire before the sun goes down and make a torch. Or walk by the moonlight that illuminates your island. ;)

How do you think people got around before electricity?

Sunlight and candle mostly as I understand, but I prefer my light on my demand. Personally. :can:

Cheech

A laser is to sensitive to anything. I wouldn't trust one with my life.
But maybe It can blind birds and small animals that you can walk over and hit over the head with a stick.

Sunlight and candle mostly as I understand, but I prefer my light on my demand. Personally. :can:

Well, of course a flashlight is always a good option for 21st century adventuring, but when the batteries crap out, it's always good to have a "plan B."

PlanB_One-Step_photo_0907.jpg

Hello Everyone,

It still seems everyone is split & it's close to being even just like before.

Jayrob I really like that combo. How many lumens out the front of the flashlight end putting out?

Thank you,

Alfie Chip

Definitely a flashlight. Lasers are fun to play with and can start fires, flashlights can do that and actually allow you to see well at night. I love lasers, but if this was an actual situation, I can't see a laser helping with survival much.

OK, yet another reason to use a flashlight-A single AA quark light on moon mode has passed 15 days (360 hours) with a single alkaline. Efficiency increases with voltage, so it will be well over 2x as long with 2 alkaline batteries. Lithium is still being tested. Let's see a laser run for 360 hours on an AA:na:

OK, yet another reason to use a flashlight-A single AA quark light on moon mode has passed 15 days (360 hours) with a single alkaline. Efficiency increases with voltage, so it will be well over 2x as long with 2 alkaline batteries. Lithium is still being tested. Let's see a laser run for 360 hours on an AA:na:

One probably could, you'd just have trouble finding it... I've run a 2xAAA, 5mW red laser for 3 days straight, but I got bored with it so I stopped the test.

Burnsy

definatly a high powered 405/445nm waterproof laser.
A flashlight can't beat the utility of lighting a fire and shine SOS it to an airplane ;)

jayrob

Hello Everyone,

It still seems everyone is split & it's close to being even just like before.

Jayrob I really like that combo. How many lumens out the front of the flashlight end putting out?

Thank you,

Alfie Chip

I would guess over 200... (just comparing to some of my Q5 lights visually)

It's plenty bright!

It's since been upgraded to a 445 diode in the back...

I have it running at 532mA's. It puts out 370mW's through AixiZ 405 glass...

Last edited:
One probably could, you'd just have trouble finding it... I've run a 2xAAA, 5mW red laser for 3 days straight, but I got bored with it so I stopped the test.

A 5mW red laser is not useful in ANY survival scenario :na:
Also, a quark on a single alkaline has passed 17 straight days of runtime earlier today.

A flashlight can't beat the utility of lighting a fire and shine SOS it to an airplane ;)

Neither a 405 nor 445 has any hope whatsoever of signaling a plane at any altitude above a few thousand feet (I doubt there are any low-flying planes over somewhere you would be stranded). A 405 is too dim. Diode lasers in general (including 405s) have pretty bad divergences and 445s have just plain awful divergences. So chances are, signaling a plane is not an option. Also, remember, lasers can light fire to black, dry magazine paper and similar stuff. Chances are, wherever you're stranded the best you can hope for is some moist dead grass.

Actually I think a flashlight would do both of those things better... My choice would be a multi-mode 6D Mag85.