Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Flashlight Beamshots Collection

I was outside late tonight, so grabbed my camera, a few lights and snapped a few pictures... these were done fairly fast so as not to alarm my neighbors :p

My camera makes things look a whole lot brighter than they are... but the way the flashlights light things up should be easily apparent.

The fire hydrant, light pole, and fist branches are at a distance of about 45 meters.

The higher tree branches are at a distance of about 75 meters.

[3/28/13 - Updated, more beamshots below.]

First, the control shot:

1Control_zps0bbe1e4b.jpg

Next the Armytek Predator v2, XPG2, this is a great pocket thrower:

2AmytekPredatorXPG2_zpsab87df56.jpg

3AmytekPredatorXPG2_zpsa953af32.jpg

Next the Crelant 7G2CS, NW - As much throw as you can get in an XML pocket light - which is to say it's "Regular" :

4Crelant7G2CS_zps33348b37.jpg

5Crelant7G2CS_zpsd844d617.jpg

6Crelant7G2CS_zps411cda59.jpg

Last, the Throw King of them all, Crelant 7G5CS, modded to run at ~3A, with a de-domed XMLU3, and an Aspheric Head:

7DeDomed7G5CSAsphericXMLU3_zpscb745fae.jpg

8DeDomed7G5CSAsphericXMLU3_zps33fc54e4.jpg

I feel confident this light will outthrow everything out there, as far as LED flashlights go, with the exception of the modded, TN31mb (Link) and the Deft X (Link). Both are way more expensive though, one being roughly double the price, the other more than quadruple.

If you look at this picture form the Deft X, you'll see it has the same beam pattern... link.

So there you have it. Three distinct beam flashlight beam patterns.

[3/28/13 - Updated, with more beamshots.]

There are three new lights in the lineup, a 7G3CS XMLU3, an Eagletac G25C2 MarkII XMLU2, and a stock Crelant 7G5CS XMLT6 also with aspheric.

For comparison purposes the modded Crelant 7G5CS Aspheric with better driver, and dedomed XMLU3 is again at the end.

Photos didn't come out quite as good this time... I was rushing a bit too much I guess.

Control:
1Control_zps78a456f7.jpg

Crelant 7G3CS U3:
2Crelant7G3CS_zps54b2919e.jpg

3Crelant7G3CS_zpsf623051b.jpg

4Crelant7G3CS_zps16cfe33e.jpg

Eagletac G25C2 MarkII:
5EagletacG25C2MarkII_zpsc2c1ce98.jpg

6EagletacG25C2MarkII_zps56f68e0b.jpg

Stock Crelant 7G5CS, XML-T6, with Aspheric:
8Crelant7G5CSNotModded_zps8c3075d1.jpg

9Crelant7G5CSNotModded_zps96bb2c53.jpg

10Crelant7G5CSNotModded_zpsa92e5d1b.jpg

11Crelant7G5CSNotModded_zps27f8c087.jpg

12Crelant7G5CSNotModded_zps225668d5.jpg

13Crelant7G5CSNotModded_zps181ac9fb.jpg

14Crelant7G5CSNotModded_zps3e537d47.jpg

Crelant 7G5CS Modded:
15Crelant7G3CSModded_zps42a2aebf.jpg

16Crelant7G3CSModded_zps89ca7c00.jpg

17Crelant7G3CSModded_zpsba907752.jpg

18Crelant7G3CSModded_zps3467fb10.jpg

19Crelant7G3CSModded_zpsea58ac86.jpg

Last edited:

sinner

Re: Flashlight Beamshots; Throw, Regular, and Aspheric

That U3 , that is some of the most clean flashlight beamshots even seen :beer:

+1.21 if i can!! :beer:

Nice shoots I really like that last one.

Paddy

Damn i've been resisting buying the Crelant 7G5CS for a while now and you just made it a lot harder :p
Would you say with the aespheric head that it throws further than your TK75?

Sorry was that a laser or a flashlight in the last pic? ;) Nice job on the mod! :) Just curious, what does de-doming actually improve? From what Ive read it changes the tint and you dont collect as much light? :thinking: Have you also compared the std 7G5CS with the modded one? :beer: and +1 if I can...

Blord

Nice pictures. Thanks for the test. The king of the throw is actually a laser. :D

Damn i've been resisting buying the Crelant 7G5CS for a while now and you just made it a lot harder :p
Would you say with the aespheric head that it throws further than your TK75?

With the aspheric, stock, no mods, it will easily out throw the TK75. Of the two the TK is way, way more practical, and 600 meters of throw is plenty though.

Sorry was that a laser or a flashlight in the last pic? ;) Nice job on the mod! :) Just curious, what does de-doming actually improve? From what Ive read it changes the tint and you dont collect as much light? :thinking: Have you also compared the std 7G5CS with the modded one? :beer: and +1 if I can...

Credit for the mod goes to Darkside - I can't dedome an LED to save my life :p

Basically the shape of the dome magnifies the size of the LED somewhat - or at least of the way light is emitted from it, and it also eats up some lumens, not many but some. De-doming, it's almost like you get a more efficient, smaller LED. The downside is, there are more artifacts from the dome removal, so the spot/beam look dirtier. I wish it was possible to buy perfectly de-domed LEDs.

I'll see about getting you guys a comparison of the stock and the modded. The modded one is brighter and tighter, but it is not as clean as stock.

Nice pictures. Thanks for the test. The king of the throw is actually a laser. :D

Heh, we were just talking about that... a laser will absolutely outthrow the lights. The problem is, there aren't really any white handheld lasers yet, aside maybe from the one multimode is working on. If you don't care about having white light though, defocus a green, or blue laser and you're in a whole new category.

Anyone know where the cheapest XML2 leds can be bought?

I found the XM-L2 U2's for sale here (they will be arriving at the beginning of April...)

AFAIK Fasttech only has the XM-L2 T6's in stock? :beer:

Edit: I also ordered a few copper sinkpads to go with them and will be building a few direct drives...;) :eg:

Last edited:

Ahh, nice! Thanks guys.

I ordered from them many times now, they are a good seller... not perfect, but one of the best imo.

Question - I haven't really bothered to read up on CRI, and temperature - what is better?

Edit, I guess, the higher CRI and temperature the better.

Last edited:

Ive only done a little reading on it, but the CRI is better with the N1ch1da LED's CRI is also better with the more yellow LEDs. The one I linked is apparently 6500 K so quite blue shifted, but no more than the U2 T6 (7000 K) or in fact the XML U3.

Last edited:

Hmm, I'll have to look into the n1ch1a LED's... any reason they aren't used in more lights instead of the Cree XML's? Much higher price, lower output?

Encap

I feel confident this light will outthrow everything out there, as far as LED flashlights go, with the exception of the modded, TN31mb (Link) and the Deft X (Link). Both are way more expensive though, one being roughly double the price, the other more than quadruple.

If you look at this picture form the Deft X, you'll see it has the same beam pattern... link.

So there you have it. Three distinct beam flashlight beam patterns.

Excellent beams shots--thanks for doing!

Appears that the Crelant 7G5GS is an excellent and lower cost alternative, especially if you do not actually need the 1273 meter throw of the TN31mb or 1897 meter throw of the Deft X---not many real world applications where those extreme throw distances are required.

Last edited:

Excellent beams shots--thanks for doing!

Appears that the Crelant 7G5GS is an excellent and lower cost alternative, especially if you do not actually need the 1273 meter throw of the TN31mb or 1897 meter throw of the Deft X---not many real world applications where those extreme throw distances are required.

Yup, it is. The TN31mb and especially the DeftX are way out of my pricerange. The crelants, I managed to pick up two for $67 each, and the heads for $28 each. The newer version is available for $130 as a package deal IIRC.

The thing that also attracted me the the crelants, is I can swap the aspheric and regular head, and have a regular light, though still with a lot of throw. The ramping means I can turn it down if it's getting too warm.

Nice flashlights-I love them

De-doming, it's almost like you get a more efficient, smaller LED.

Don't mean to nitpick, but dedoming makes the LED less efficient, BUT it makes it appear smaller, aka more point-like. That is what people are going for when they dedome their LEDs. The best emitter will have the highest "surface brightness," or surface lux. Lasers have ridiculously high "surface brightness," and I'd be willing to bet that the next thrower will involve either lasers, or imaging a laser pumped phosphor target

The dome's primary hand in increasing extraction efficiency is by ensuring that a high percentage of light coming from the source hits the surface of the dome at an angle close to natural, or at least larger than the critical angle for that particular optical interface (some sort of silicone and air).

Last, but definitely not least, great work with the final product! I think you have enough throwy lights, it is now time for you to become a tint snob. Try a Nichia from csshih.