Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First post - new here and new to lasers

Howdy!

I’ve always been fascinated with lasers. I’m not actually certain why it has taken me this long to make an effort to learn more about something so undeniably cool imho. I have owned a plethora of your garden variety 1mw-ish presentation pointers and cheap-o laser pens over the years… all red. I think the event that rekindled my curiosity was the purchase of a green laser targeting system for one of my Glocks. It was so… well, mesmerizing. I ordered a highly rated (and cheap) alleged 5mw green laser pointer off Amazon and when it arrived – HOLY MACERAL ANDY! It was bright and beautiful… the very fact that the beam was visible clearly in darker ambient light makes me wonder if the reported 5mw might be inaccurate, but no matter… I love it. I’ve since ordered some additional (cheap) low powered lasers in other wavelengths (red and blue/violet) to tinker with while I begin to learn as much as I can here. I am looking forward to being ready to step up into higher powered lasers.

Some of my short term goals are:
  • Educate myself on laser safety and purchase a good pair of goggles.
  • Learn more about laser technology and learn the different common lasers available to consumers to make an educated purchase of a higher power handheld laser.
  • Become a laser hoarder. :yh:
Some of my longer term goals are:
  • Learn about various experiments and DIY fun laser projects.
  • Purchase a laser power meter
  • Understand laser and power supply construction and begin building my own lasers.
I look forward to learning a lot and getting my journey off on the right foot.

Cheers!
Clayton

Welcome to the forum. You're in the perfect to meet all of those goals and will be very possible to achieve in the coming months. Although to be a laser hoarder and get a LMP will very likely be an investment of over a grand. GL

Welcome Clayton :wave:

It's good to see you are concerned with safety, do a search for the goggles or if you can swing it, these are a good choice if you wear glasses.

https://oemlasersystems.com/product...visible/arg-blu-ray-argon-blue-ktp-900-detail

Beware of cheep anything. Lasers, batteries and chargers. A lot of lasers on ebay, amazon are over spec, they say 5mw, but are much higher. The next thing you buy should be goggles.
Stay safe and have fun.

Last edited:
Thank you, TheDukeAnumber1 and Antharak for the warm welcome! I've been reading like mad today trying to be a sponge.

Antharak, I actually had a couple of questions about goggles I posted over HERE in the safety section. Hopefully, I can get an order in tomorrow.

Thanks again!!

Clayton, you certainly have come to the right place. We have tons of members that are about as knowledgeable as a person can get. Glad to see you're already hunting some goggles, I finally got mine. Best decision I have made thus far regarding lasers. I can't wait to see your future projects. What project are you planning on doing first?

what kind of sight did you get? that is what rekindled my interest in lasers as well, I got a lasermax genesis sight and ended up playing with it more than I used it as a sight (not attached naturally) the other major brand I know of is veridian, I hear these have problems when the weapon is fired, not so with my lasermax

norbyx

Welcome to the forum, and very nice introduction you made there. I know you will like it here.

Well, Zakkusus, I am pretty big into photography as a hobby, so I think the first little starter project will be to learn how to create some cool visual effects (either projected against a background by shining the laser through some medium or in the atmosphere by using fog/smoke/etc) and learn how to photograph it in an artful way. I will, of course, share any photos here as I learn. There has to be some tips and tricks for photographing lasers on here in the archives somewhere... but I'm focusing on getting the basics of laser operation and safety down first and then I'll start digging in.

Thanks for the welcome!

Clayton, you certainly have come to the right place. We have tons of members that are about as knowledgeable as a person can get. Glad to see you're already hunting some goggles, I finally got mine. Best decision I have made thus far regarding lasers. I can't wait to see your future projects. What project are you planning on doing first?

Aha! Lazerbeak got it right out of the gate. :D

Cheers!

Hi KapHn8d, I like coffee too ;)

~ LB

Shakenawake, I got a Viridian X5L and have used it quite a bit at the range without a malfunction. The tidbit of tribal knowledge about the X5L I can offer is that the front lens cap on the tactical light must be tightened ridiculously tight for the unit to function. Apparently, this is by design. If you just have it lightly screwed on the front, then the unit will have issues operating... firing or otherwise. The Lasermax is a great choice! I actually bought the Viridian on an impulse buy walking through a gun show because it was such a steal... else I likely would have done a lot more research and perhaps went a different direction. However, it DID bite me with the "laser bug", so that's a great result either way...

Have a great weekend and thanks for the welcome!
c

what kind of sight did you get? that is what rekindled my interest in lasers as well, I got a lasermax genesis sight and ended up playing with it more than I used it as a sight (not attached naturally) the other major brand I know of is veridian, I hear these have problems when the weapon is fired, not so with my lasermax

Thank you, norbyx... I appreciate the kind welcome.

Have a good weekend!

c

Welcome to the forum, and very nice introduction you made there. I know you will like it here.

Last edited:
We'll it's good to get it out of the way now in your welcome thread before ppl hammer you on the forum :) Try not to double, triple, or quadruple post, it's frowned upon.

Roger that.

Thank you for the correction. It won't happen again.
:spank:

We'll it's good to get it out of the way now in your welcome thread before ppl hammer you on the forum :) Try not to double, triple, or quadruple post, it's frowned upon.

So this seems like a good place to ask this rather than start a new thread like a complete newb...

The forum etiquette states that members should not post on old threads. I get that... but what if someone posts on an old thread and more or less resurrects activity to it? It is still a taboo no-no to participate in that newly revived thread?

I saw this while reading here today and it sparked my curiosity.

No doubt one of the best intro threads I have read..that alone is worth a +3 from me.
Sent you some invites- & a Q or two.
coffee??

about the green laser pointers...
These have prolly brought members here and got more ppl hooked on lasers than most other reasons-- When Gray at JL gave me his old webstore I was at first not too crazy about the domain name( greenlaserpointer.org)- as i do not sell the pen size pointers AND some of the bad rep we have gotten over the past years was due to some fool owning a 'greenie'(hate that name).

My 'store' is still iunder construction but i am now happy with its name. if they come to it I dont care about the motivation- And.. there will be lots of advice/info there on safe and sane use of lasers.

WECOME

Clayton

Last edited:
Thanks, hakzaw1! I've already learned a lot about the basics just from reading archived posts and doing some searches. I appreciate the warm welcome and kind words.

Have a great weekend!

Cheers,
Clayton

No doubt one of the best intro threads I have read..that alone is worth a +3 from me.
Sent you some invites- & a Q or two.
coffee??

about the green laser pointers...
These have prolly brought members here and got more ppl hooked on lasers than most other reasons-- When Gray at JL gave me his old webstore I was at first not too crazy about the domain name( greenlaserpointer.org)- as i do not sell the pen size pointers AND some of the bad rep we have gotten over the past years was due to some fool owning a 'greenie'(hate that name).

My 'store' is still iunder construction but i am now happy with its name. if they come to it I dont care about the motivation- And.. there will be lots of advice/info there on safe and sane use of lasers.

WECOME

Clayton

Welcome to the forum, and remember to read the stickies if you haven't already. It looks like you're off to a good start (with an Introduction) and I'm certain you'll have a great time here.

welcome.gif
to the Forum.... Clayton

39 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry