Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FIRST BUILD COMPLETE.

So I finally finished my first laser, a dorcy PHR, set at 120mA. I had trouble at first, then I kept reading and learning how to solder, and finally got the connections. I have it set at 120mA but I don't know if its right or not...I may have done the connection wrong or broken my Flexdrive but, when I was trying to see the "glow in the dark" effect, on a football, it started smoking, very fast. Not only did it get a football smoking really fast, but it seems that it gets warm rather quickly...I hope my flexdrive is working I don't want to burn out this diode, this is too cool!!!

One more thing, I have heard of the higher power laser, making it sting to touch your skin but this thing I have burns! Its like really painful lol, thats why I think my power input may be off....

Also, I notice a small, ring like glow around the dot, and the ring moves as I adjust the focusing ring, is there a problem here with my Aixiz?

Ill upload some pics in a bit

Attachments

• PHR1.JPG
    PHR1.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 85

Bam

PHR5.jpg

PHR6.jpg

Attachments

• PHR2.jpg
    PHR2.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 79
Congratulations. It's a great feeling when you see those purple photons for the first time.

The ring-like glow is caused by the optics. It's not defective, they're just not the highest quality optics ever.. Also, you'll probably have to observe a duty-cycle when using your laser. It will get warm, at which time you'll want to stop using it long enough for it to cool before using it again. This will maximize the diode's lifetime.

daguin

Elyk456 said:
I don't know how to upload multiple pics on one message...

Host them in some online site like Photobucket. Then just include as many
i]
tags as you want to in the single message.

Peace,
dave

These solders were pretty messy, because of it being my first time....will it effect it alot?

daguin

Elyk456 said:
These solders were pretty messy, because of it being my first time....will it effect it alot?

Only if you "bridged" or soldered something you didn't want to be soldered ;)

Peace,
dave

You'd notice it if you're solder connections weren't making good contact. The driver wouldn't work at all, it would cut on and off sporadically, or it would kill your diode.. In this case the only thing you'll have to worry about if you're soldering is sloppy is something coming loose down the road. My advice is to buy enough parts for a few drivers, and build them for practice. You can get enough parts to do this on ebay for very little $$. Practice makes perfect - the first rule of soldering.

Yeah that would probably be pretty interesting to build my own driver, plus Id get ALOT better at soldering for my next build. Plus I don't have to lay down 28$ for a preset flex-drive, If I could make my own driver...

New Pics up

I didn't realize that you didn't build the driver you're using now. If you're going to build your own driver, I recommend building the "DDL" driver. It requires very few parts, and is quite easy. You can find a schematic by searching the forum.

Yeah this is my very first build, Im using a Flexdrive....Ill look into making my own for sure

Im still trying to figure out how to make stuffs glow with this thing ...can't figure it out   :(

daguin

Elyk456 said:
Yeah this is my very first build, Im using a Flexdriver....Ill look into making my own for sure
Im still trying to figure out how to make stuffs glow with this thing ...can't figure it out   :(

Just keep shining it on stuff. Some things fluoresce and some things don't

Peace,
dave

Elyk456 said:
Yeah that would probably be pretty interesting to build my own driver, plus Id get ALOT better at soldering for my next build. Plus I don't have to lay down 28$ for a preset flex-drive, If I could make my own driver...

New Pics up

you could also get a micro drive from rckstr for $11.25 for the fixed output driver kit, thats what i always use, i've never used a flex drive before.....

right now my phr is running at 171mA.....wonder how long before it dies......
no worries, i just ripped apart the LG 22x apart and have a new LOC and am working on making it now :) so i should have another laser to play with when i kill this phr ;D