Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

First 5 Watt NUBM08 build

This was the laser I bought from Jordan over 4 months ago and never got around to building it because of the break up. I finally decided to do it! I am also using the High power driver from Gary and it works great! He set it to 3.8 amps which should be good for about 5 Watts due to this Diode hitting 5.6 on a G2 at 3.8 amps so I’m thinking at least 5, unfortunately my meter only goes to 2 so testing it is out of the question. I have never thermally glued a driver to a heat sink and I was hoping I did it right. This G ball has absolutely horrible divergance but hey what can you expect from a powerful MM Diode. I can say I didn’t like how the wiring came out because I cut the wires too long and they’re crammed in there pretty good, plus I had to use electrical tape cause my shrink tube wasn’t big enough for these wires. All in all I think it turned out okay :)

Attachments

• 8B1B0756-E82F-471F-B65C-65B53F8FF734.jpeg
    8B1B0756-E82F-471F-B65C-65B53F8FF734.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 20
  • EFF254E1-147A-4D0C-80E8-B94599505FFB.jpeg
    EFF254E1-147A-4D0C-80E8-B94599505FFB.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 22
  • AC4ABC82-7C59-4CDF-B526-E8020B7C9B44.jpeg
    AC4ABC82-7C59-4CDF-B526-E8020B7C9B44.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 20
  • D44C5B0C-F528-48BF-B070-E3DDFF89CC30.jpeg
    D44C5B0C-F528-48BF-B070-E3DDFF89CC30.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 21

Hi ,
That sinking of the driver is well done, as for the wires being to long just shorten them and start from there. If you need heat shrink I can send you some to fit over the 24 and 22 AWG wire . Good job buddy now for some pics fired up. The G ball diodes still are real burners and powerful despite the divergence . Theres always a 3X BE to fine tune the beam. sinking on the back of the main sink is great for the driver.

Rich:)

Attachments

• IMG_1607.JPG
    IMG_1607.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 18

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hey Richie, looking good, glad to see that you finally got that bad boy built! (y)
Do you have any more pics of it all buttoned up and emiting beautiful blue beams?

Good driver heat sinking, the 08 diodes can have a nice 455nm color that's much brighter looking than 445nm watt per watt. :D
Note: That size heat sink will get warm pretty quick with a nubm running at 3.8a, Rich/Lifetime17 can make you a nice sink to extend your runtime if you decide you want more, also your batteries should be high drain such as EFest IMR to prevent excessive sag and power drop, Enjoy and stay safe. (y)

Great looking build, Richie. What did you use for thermal adhesive? If it was Arctic Alumina you won't be able to get it off the heat sink without pulling the IC off the board. You really only need enough to stick the IC to your heat sink, using the least amount possible because you don't want a thick film on the IC as it keeps the heat from being transferred efficiently. It just takes a little practice.

Hi ,
That sinking of the driver is well done, as for the wires being to long just shorten them and start from there. If you need heat shrink I can send you some to fit over the 24 and 22 AWG wire . Good job buddy now for some pics fired up. The G ball diodes still are real burners and powerful despite the divergence . Theres always a 3X BE to fine tune the beam. sinking on the back of the main sink is great for the driver.

Rich:)
hey rich, I actually just ordered some the other day, sorry I take so long to respond lol! im really glad I got your approval on the sinking because I was a little worried I did it wrong somehow :) ill definitely post some fired up pics soon (y)thanks again buddy.
Hey Richie, looking good, glad to see that you finally got that bad boy built! (y)
Do you have any more pics of it all buttoned up and emiting beautiful blue beams?
thanks Jeff :) those are actually coming up next :D its funny but I let my friend see it the other day and he fired it up outside and I didn't realize he had left it on for like 30 seconds, I couldn't help but think that I was glad I remember to thermally paste the module, because I forgot after I had finished it and went back to apply some paste between the module and heat sink.
Good driver heat sinking, the 08 diodes can have a nice 455nm color that's much brighter looking than 445nm watt per watt. :D
Note: That size heat sink will get warm pretty quick with a nubm running at 3.8a, Rich/Lifetime17 can make you a nice sink to extend your runtime if you decide you want more, also your batteries should be high drain such as EFest IMR to prevent excessive sag and power drop, Enjoy and stay safe. (y)
oh yes I noticed that the color was very nice, pretty close to my 462nm it seemed like. you're right, I need to take advantage of the fact that rich can do some incredible work. I'm running some fairly new Xtar 18650s but theyre not IMR high drains, I hope those work well for now :( I usually keep my batteries charged fully most of the time but if the voltage drops too much could it damage the diode?
Great looking build, Richie. What did you use for thermal adhesive? If it was Arctic Alumina you won't be able to get it off the heat sink without pulling the IC off the board. You really only need enough to stick the IC to your heat sink, using the least amount possible because you don't want a thick film on the IC as it keeps the heat from being transferred efficiently. It just takes a little practice.
Thanks Paul :) I actually did think of that to be honest, I was wondering if I had used too much. I did use Arctic Alumina. lets hope this thing lasts a long time, my duty cycles are definitely gonna be low. I looked up many pics of builds before I started to see what everyone else used and I did notice that most everyone used less than me, I knew that I wouldn't be able to get it off if something happened so I was just hoping that it would go well :geek:
great build ,seem driver is Sl-7 from survival laser,nubm08 will beautiful when you put at 4,5A+,it will make 460+nm
hey Trinh :D thanks so much, yeah everything seems to be going okay so far, I would love to see 465-470 but I would need a NUBM07E for that which may be my next build :cool: