Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Fireflies attracted by green laser

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I live in a very rural area and there are tons of fireflies this time of the year. the other night i was going for a walk in the woods and i noticed when i shined my laser over some high grass in a farm field it seemed to attract more fireflies to that area. have any of you guys noticed this? i was using the 8mw green senkat gave me.

A few days ago I was walking on the edge of the woods at night with my 170mW greenie and it sure didn't attract the fireflies ;D. I'll have to try this with one of my lower powered greenies.

ok this is going to sound a little strange, but sometimes on a night i shine my blue laser out of my bedroom window and i keep seeing a bat hover around my garden. there is a bat or two in my street but everytime im playing with the blue laser, im sure i keep seeing it whizzing around my garden.
i know its probably by chance theyre there at the time i was playing with the laser, but this has happend more than once :-/

Rhith

Hmmm I really should try this. Too bad I haven't seen fireflies around here though. :( I know I have shot down some bugs with my CNI though! ;D

Rhith said:
Hmmm I really should try this. Too bad I haven't seen fireflies around here though. :( I know I have shot down some bugs with my CNI though! ;D
I HATE when bugs fly through the beam of my 170mW CNI, there is a huge flash and it screws up my night vision for a while!

I was shining my 30mW the other night and a moth got in the beam and it screwed up my vision for a while

Wesdaman14 said:
how does it screw up ur night vision. it would blind the moth
It screw up your night vision because you are admiring your laser's beam, and then all of a sudden a huge flash of light flash blinds you and you have to re-adjust to the dark to see the beam again.

I've never seen a firefly in person :(

Do they really glow as they fly? That must be really cool to see if theres a big swarm of them.

diachi

I've never seen any either, would love to see them in person.

Why dont some of you see what your BR lasers attract could have some cool results.

Diachi

hmmm possibly because the concentrated light forces then to turn towards the laser beam (ie mothe fly around light bulbs) apparently light on the wings of flying insects force them to turn towards the light

Fireflies have just started to appear around here, but witin the next month there should be millions if not billions here in Indiana. They like to hang out in the cornfields just after it gets dark. They look real cool, as I get to see them everynight on my way home from work. Driving down a country road, they hit your windshield and go splat and leave a nice glow spot for a minute.

I've had limited success attracting fireflies using a dim red blinking LED. LED would blink on for 1 second, off 1 second.

Darn, i just figured fireflies were everywhere - guess not.

darklandz said:
ok this is going to sound a little strange, but sometimes on a night i shine my blue laser out of my bedroom window and i keep seeing a bat hover around my garden. there is a bat or two in my street but everytime im playing with the blue laser, im sure i keep seeing it whizzing around my garden.
i know its probably by chance theyre there at the time i was playing with the laser, but this has happend more than once :-/

Actually darklandz ive seen this happen as well, I was shinning my blu-ray the past few nights and every night bats would appear, I usually never see them around my house, I go on cig breaks every once in a while (hate the smell it leaves inside :-/)..

So you guys don't get fireflies in your parts? Thats wierd I was always under the impression that they are one of those creatures that are not region specific, see them all the time in the summer especially at my summer house and yeah they are definitely one of the if not the coolest flying bugs out there...they sure as hell beat mosquitoes, flies and other pestering bugs...they are pretty chilled out and fly slow while flashing their ass region...

brtaman

i never see them in florida except in marshes. and i have had a few bugs fly through my dx 20mW and had a pretty fast blink blink reflex...maybe it was luck