Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Feeler: Mercury GB

danq

what is the best mercury ALTERNATIVE that preferably doesn't stick to much.
there are a couple of low melting point metals that are non-toxic; even some alloys that melt in your hand.
Check out United Nuclear
(they are a bit pricierr for some things than other sources; but have a great selection)
(neat stuff: Sodium Polyacrylate)
indalloy, Wood's Metal, maybe others I don't recall

EDIT: Gallium - see Galinstan;
found this: "Gallium when painted on glass or porcelain forms a brilliant mirror"
and "An alloy consisting of 24% indium and 76% gallium is liquid at room temperature"

and "Indium is also used as a thermal interface material by personal computer enthusiasts in the form of pre-shaped foil sheets fitted between the heat-transfer surface of a microprocessor and its heat sink. The application of heat partially melts the foil and allows the indium metal to fill in any microscopic gaps and pits between the two surfaces, removing any insulating air pockets that would otherwise compromise heat transfer efficiency."

DanQ

Last edited:

Benm

There is absolutely nothing like mercury. Alloys that are liquid at or near room temperatures exist, but they don't behalve like mercury. You can see them as an alternative if the single property you are interested in, is being a liquid metal.

You could, for example, never make a tilt switch with those alloys, they'd just stick to the container and short the whole thing out on the first activation.

Could ship it in a sealed steel container, placed in a polystyrene box filled with dry ice, that way the mercury is solid , can't spill and is in a very tough container !

Thats a bit over the top ;)

Seriously, an approved steel container would suffice, but wouldnt be very practical to send to everyone in a group buy. In terms of hazmat it is considered corrosive (not toxic).

danq

There is absolutely nothing like mercury.

agreed! it's unique and good stuff!

You could, for example, never make a tilt switch with those alloys, they'd just stick to the container and short the whole thing out on the first activation.

eh? I read that's one of their uses... they coat the container with an oxide (indium -or gallium?) then it doesn't stick.

Last night I succumbed to midnight shopper's disease... ordered indium, gallium, bismuth and tin :rolleyes:

:)
DanQ

I'm not quite sure how I'll ship it yet... I'm considering making a few insanely huge tilt switches from some glass tubing I have lying around(I have some experience with scientific glasswork). I also have a few older/empty sphygmomanometers that I could refill. This way, I can label it as a "tilt switch" or "sphygmomanometer" as opposed to "liquid mercury".

I'm not going to argue this out more with everyone. I've said what needs to be known, except this: Not every person reading this thread knows or is capable of using "appropriate precautions" - even if they were included in this thread.
Trivializing the dangers may cause someone to endanger themselves or their kids.

Sadly, it seems like an ongoing theme of this website too...

Benm

I read that's one of their uses... they coat the container with an oxide (indium -or gallium?) then it doesn't stick.

That's possbile indeed, but i ment it in the sense that you could not make one at home. If you want an ordinary tilt switch just order one, something custom is a different story. Interestingly, accelerometer ic's are cheaper than tilt switches these days ;)

I can label it as a "tilt switch" or "sphygmomanometer" as opposed to "liquid mercury".

It isn't so much about the labeling, mercury-containing instruments are just as banned from air freight. Normally i don't have any problem with mis-labeling items to prevent customs problems (lasers are just flashlights with a rather narrow beam, right), but in case of mercury this would be unetical as it can pose a real and serious hazard to the plane its on.

Last night I succumbed to midnight shopper's disease... ordered indium, gallium, bismuth and tin :rolleyes: :)DanQ

From where? What were the prices? PM me please. If I have to jump ship on my multi-element GB supplier, I will need alternative sources.

By the way, gallium/indium alloy is very sticky, it even sticks to glass. I have a vial of it on my desk. Mercury is much cooler.

-Mark

there are a couple of low melting point metals that are non-toxic; even some alloys that melt in your hand.
Check out United Nuclear
(they are a bit pricierr for some things than other sources; but have a great selection)
(neat stuff: Sodium Polyacrylate)
indalloy
I have some Indalloy 117, if anyone wants to buy it send me a PM:)

danq

I have some Indalloy 117, if anyone wants to buy it send me a PM:)
That has melting point 117 degF, right?
that one is good for tricks... but it has quite a bit of lead, and cadmium, so take ote of that and don't play food tricks (like making a spoon of it for someone's hot coffee) :evil:

DanQ

danq

Last edited: