Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Feeler: 495nm and 488nm diodes

I picked the bluest of 4 diodes and put it in a leadlight!

attachment.php

Attachments

• s010910 007.jpg
    s010910 007.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 201

Very nice, Drake. It's difficult to tell by looking, but it could be 488nm. Until this week, this illusive wavelength was hundreds of $$$. It is so gratifying to see these at a reasonable price. :yh:

I think I misunderstood, when you wrote most bluish, did you mean shortest or longest WL of the set?

I picked the shortest wavelength of a set of 4. It ended up being the bluest of all the diodes I had left after shipping the ones in the GB. I also put the greenest of my set into a leadlight.

Are these the same ones DTR is selling now which can sometimes fall at 488 or so?

I picked the shortest wavelength of a set of 4. It ended up being the bluest of all the diodes I had left after shipping the ones in the GB. I also put the greenest of my set into a leadlight.

It's crazy how you can tell the color difference between them. Were they all a different color, or just a few outliers? I'm interested because even though we have wavelength measurements, I haven't heard of another diode out there where the wavelength variations are visually perceptable.

Last edited:
The more blue the color, the lower the wavelength. But, of course, this is all subjective. I am still just giddy about some of these actually being 488nm at drive currents from 150 mA to hopefully 250 mA at such a low price. That is some testing I will have to do later on.

It's crazy how you can tell the color difference between them. Were they all a different color, or just a few outliers? I'm interested because even though we have wavelength measurements, I haven't heard of another diode out there where the wavelength variations are visually perceptable.
I had 8 diodes left after shipping them so I put them all along side each other to sort them by color. The difference in color is very noticeable! There are two sets of two in the middle that are hard to distinguish from each other, but that still gives 6 discernible colors.

I got lucky that the bluest from the first 4 that I tested ended up being the bluest of the entire batch, because I put that one in a pen build before testing them all. I put the greenest one in a pen build too and the difference in color is very apparent. To my eyes, the bluest diode has no green tint to it when shining by itself, but the greenest diode definitely has a green tint. I wish I had a spectrometer so I could compare what I see to actual quantitative data.

I'm sure the 495nm diodes showed perceivable differences in color between each other, but I never had enough to test this.

Yeah, I can see the difference between two lasers if set side by side, except for red, where the wavelengths seem to need to be further apart to notice a difference. But, if you are looking at a green 520nm and later a green 510nm, I doubt you could tell the difference between them because they aren't where you can actually make the comparison. They also need to be close to the same power as large differences in optical output makes comparisons more difficult.