Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Feeler: 495nm and 488nm diodes

Bacon

Im thinking, pen build.
Cant wait

exited.gif

If you are going to use a pen build for the 495nm diode, you need to either decrease the current you set the driver to deliver to the diode, or limit the run time to under 60 seconds. I have worked with this diode more than probably anyone here, and since the Vf is so high, they will expend a lot of waste heat. I put mine in a decent size aluminum heat sink set at 275 mA. I can run mine for a little over a minute, but I still won't run it more than that as I don't want to lose this diode. I only have one spare.

Last edited:
So I'm back from Arkansas earlier than planned due to soaking rains, but I still had an amazing trip. It's hard to find a better mental reset than spending some time in the wilderness. Anyway I got word that the diodes were shipped to me and I'll get them soon!

Glad you are back. BTW, I have some 495nm laser diodes on the way to me now. I will bin them by wavelength and they will be available first come first served.

So......I've gotten word that diodes from this batch range from 487nm to 495nm. I don't have a spectrometer, so I won't be batch testing these and will ship them out randomly. I'm assuming most here will be happy about the lower wavelength. I ordered a few extra diodes for myself so I hope I get one on the low end of the scale.

I have seen the data sheet that states these range from 487nm to 495nm. I measured quite a few from the last batch and none were lower than 492nm. I have about 30 headed my way and I will be binning them by wavelength again. We shall see. ;)

I have seen the data sheet that states these range from 487nm to 495nm. I measured quite a few from the last batch and none were lower than 492nm. I have about 30 headed my way and I will be binning them by wavelength again. We shall see. ;)

That is great Paul. Look forward to see your measurements. With this diodes being on the market now, we only have yellow and orange direct diodes left to have the complete rainbow!

Singlemode

Yeah, my hopes are not high that these will measure much differently than the last ones, but I will post the results. A yellow direct diode is my favorite wet dream. :crackup:

Last edited:
Just got the diodes in the mail. If I had a spectrometer I'd pick out the lowest wavelength one out for myself. :D I'm gonna try shipping them all out today.

Nice :D

---edit---
I sometimes put a little black cardstock tube around the thumb adjuster to soak up any overspray, it makes for a clean looking beam, or set to infinity and lock down with an empty module with the back drilled out and black cardstock inside the can, that limits any overspray to a narrow angle.

You can leave that set up outside or push it into your heat sink, it really cleans up the lens flare as seen by passers by.

59030d1519123800-sale-thread-hosts-heat-sinks-focus-adapters-lasers-sany2157.jpg

Last edited:
Paul, please add me to your list of members wanting a few of the lower than 490 nm diodes :)

DTR

Just got the diodes in the mail. If I had a spectrometer I'd pick out the lowest wavelength one out for myself. :D I'm gonna try shipping them all out today.

Can you confirm that the ones you received today have SB308B292 stamped on the top of the can.

Last edited: