Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FAIL THREAD!!!!

Yup. What hamas never mentions is it's a damn near certainty more people died from their own rockets, than from israel. Frankly I feel awful for innocent people on both sides of this, and even more so for the kids, who are now in what, 3rd, 4rth generation of a society that's taught to hate. This kind of thing just perpetuates the cycle.

TBNTX

merged triple post

Even if you ignore that he's pointing a class 4 laser in public, and at his own face...
It never occurred to him it might look bad if it took 2 minutes to light?

AINT_NOBODY_GOT_TIME_FOR_THAT.gif

The video is a little bit deceiving.
  • The laser was never pointed at my face. It was pointed over my left shoulder.
  • The laser was directed toward the underside of the overhanging roof in front of the cigar shop for most of the video. The only exception was at the end, when I was puffing on the cigar.
  • My girlfriend was behind me watching for aircraft, with the instruction to warn me.
  • The Goggles are rated at greater that OD+5
  • Lighting the cigar took a bit of time because I was using fresh cigars, right out of the humidor at the cigar shop, and it's hard to gauge the angle effectively.

I took all appropriate precautions, even if it doesn't show in the video. Gimme a break! :na:

Hi InfinitusEquitas -

I'd like to reply to your well-considered comments (and with thanks & appeciation):

You were wearing goggles, but doing this at a very public location.

Not to be argumentative or confrontational, but why would doing this in public be any matter of concern, as long as proper precautions are taken? Please advise me.

You came close to hitting yourself in the eyes.

I've reviewed the video, and it's a little deceptive. The laser was angled over my left shoulder, and was pointed to the underside of the cigar store's roof for most of the video. The only time it went skyward was when I was puffing on the cigar at the end. The goggles that I was wearing are rated at more than OD +5. I was aware of what I was doing.

You didn't check for aircraft.
Yes, I did. Immediately before we started recording the video. Furthermore, my girlfriend (out of the frame) was tasked with watching the sky overhead and to alert me if any aircraft was approaching while the recording was being made.

The goggles you are using... cheap and possibly not enough for that laser.

My goggles weren't cheap at all. But they are certified to greater than OD +5.

If a cop came along in a bad mood, there is a fair chance you would end up as another article online... shining a laser in the sky.

Well, there's not a lot that anyone can do for an "over-enthusiastic" cop. But I wasn't breaking any laws, and I was taking all proper precautions.

It's not at all what you did, rather just how you went about it that I think rubbed a lot of people here the wrong way. (Feel free to accuse us of being safety nazis now :p)

I wouldn't accuse anyone on this forum of being safety nazis, but as safety guardians. Safety must come first, and at all times. To be frank, I embrace it! Keep it up!

While you have years of experience with lasers, and may very well know exactly what you are doing, but a kid watching your video would not. Rather he would see it, think, hey, that's cool! Try it, and possibly mess himself up for life.

Point taken, and it's a very valid consideration.

All of that said, welcome to the forum :)

Thanks! Glad to be here. Hope to make a few new friends.

Also careful with using your camera and the arctic... the laser beam can easily damage some lens coatings, so you may want to test with a cheap setup first.

My plan is to use an old film-based leaf-shutter camera body (with the lens removed). I would only want to use the camera body for its shutter mechanism. You can buy those for under $25 bucks at estate sales, and I've already collected two. I intend to try it first with half power on the Arctic S3, because it eliminates the burning factor. I may fail in my stop-action holography project, but that's all part of the experimentation, right?

Given your feedback, especially about the video being viewed by kids, I'm going to pull the video.

Maybe I'll re-do it with a preamble that includes all appropriate warnings of the potential dangers of lasers, but given your input, I wouldn't want a kid doing something that could hurt himself or others. Thanks for that, InfinitusEquitas.

Meanwhile in Portland...

X3cSi.png
[/QUOTE]

Hi ped -

I've already responded to Infinitus's comments on this thread, but I'd like to also respond to yours, too.

Among the things Infinitus rightly pointed out, you didn't even check for aircraft.

Actually, I did. Immediately before we started the video. Furthermore, I tasked my girlfriend (off camera and behind me) to watch the sky while the video was being taken.

You may have taken VERY basic safety precautions , but your promoting irresponsible behavior.

No, not at all. Please see my comments to Infinitus.

kids will see that video, not have goggles and think "ill just close my eyes" , then open them to find the cigarette, then blind themselves.

Infinitus pointed this out and he (and you) are both right. I hadn't considered that. I had set the video for "adult" viewing in an effort to prevent kids from seeing it, but after his comments, I realized that kids can misrepresent their ages when getting an account on YouTube. I have deleted the video from YouTube.

We simply steer clear of things like that.

I agree, ped.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and concerns. I'm every bit as concerned about safety, and I did take every appropriate precaution at the recording of the video. But the game-changer for me was Infinitus' comments about the possibility of kids seeing it, and not be aware of the dangers.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

TBNTX

That's enough, gentlemen

Peace,
dave
Peace indeed, Daguin.

I just dislike it when people make assumptions based on the video alone. Nevertheless, the feedback was valuable. And based on the feeback from InfinitusEquitas regarding the possibility of kids not being aware of the dangers, I have removed the video from YouTube.

Peace. Out.

TBNTX

Last edited:
Re: merged triple post

@ - That was a nice response. I'm glad you did take precautions we didn't see.

Three minor things I want to expand on just a bit, about what I said.

-The reason a public place is an issue, it is a legal gray area. Depending on who you ask you will get a different response. That's a can of worms I don't want to get into, but bottom line is, lasers are best used on private property, and if used in public, only with a lot of care.

-The goggles. It's impossible to say just by looking at them, but to me they look like cheap $10 goggles you can grab from ebay, or dozens of chinese sites. The certification from china... well it's rarely worth the ink it's printed on, so I tend to not trust goggles I haven't personally tested. Of course it's possible you bought them from a reputable company. There are links in my signature to a few reputable companies.

-I can't wait to see what your experiment results in :) Even on low power though, IIRC arctic is around ~300mW, which is enough to burn. Obviously just nowhere near as fast.

@Mods - There is no conflict here imo but is it possible to just cut out the last few posts and stick them into a separate Safety thread? They detract from teh failz...

Moving along now :p

TBNTX

Re: merged triple post

@ - That was a nice response. I'm glad you did take precautions we didn't see.

Three minor things I want to expand on just a bit, about what I said.

-The reason a public place is an issue, it is a legal gray area. Depending on who you ask you will get a different response. That's a can of worms I don't want to get into, but bottom line is, lasers are best used on private property, and if used in public, only with a lot of care.

-The goggles. It's impossible to say just by looking at them, but to me they look like cheap $10 goggles you can grab from ebay, or dozens of chinese sites. The certification from china... well it's rarely worth the ink it's printed on, so I tend to not trust goggles I haven't personally tested. Of course it's possible you bought them from a reputable company. There are links in my signature to a few reputable companies.

-I can't wait to see what your experiment results in :) Even on low power though, IIRC arctic is around ~300mW, which is enough to burn. Obviously just nowhere near as fast.

@Mods - There is no conflict here imo but is it possible to just cut out the last few posts and stick them into a separate Safety thread? They detract from teh failz...

Moving along now :p
Thanks for the additional input Infinitus. I really do appreciate the feedback.

RE: Public space, yes. It's undefined space. But I understand what you're saying.
RE: Goggles. I purchased them from a reputable company in the U.S., and I was provided with credentialed certifications. I agree, though, that stuff coming out of China is usually "sketchy" (at best).
RE: My stop-action hologram efforts, I'll keep everyone on the forum informed, whether it's successful, or if it tanks.

And to the mods, I agree. There's no issue or conflict here. I appreciate everyone's input on monitoring laser safety.

Last edited:

gillza

All I see here:....
<oversized image removed>

ped

@ TBNTX

Good on you for taking the safety precautions.

You have to understand, we're not just trying to beat down on you...but you have to remember kids might see that video, and all common sense aside, think "i gotta try that" .

Last edited:
My god, what a perfect FLOP!

Meanwhile on facebook...

rPVIA.png

I'm really not sure whether this is a very twisted Win, or a Fail....

14679_473603072705770_527348488_n.jpg

252313_4486329647817_1155080534_n.jpg

I fail to see the difference, both look like crap...

432194_472666792799398_1380061799_n.jpg

Last edited:

TBNTX

merged consecutive posts

No, I don't think that any of you are trying to "beat me down" or anything close to it.

All of you have the best interests in mind for everyone, including me and the public. I take no offense from this exchange. In truth, I hadn't considered how my video (now removed) might have been perceived by kids, and when it was raised, it became the game-changer for me.

I might do a new video, probably using surgical tubing to the cigar, and with all appropriate warnings, too! But it would be fun to show how it's possible to light a cigar. That said, I'm still working thru the idea of how to present it safely. I'm open to ideas.

Genuinely, I appreciate the feedback from all of you. High-powered lasers are dangerous, to be sure. But I'm really not an ignorant or haphazard enthusiast.

Thanks, everyone!

@ TBNTX

Good on you for taking the safety precautions.

You have to understand, we're not just trying to beat down on you...but you have to remember kids might see that video, and all common sense aside, think "i gotta try that" .

I know what you're saying, ped. I honestly appreciate the guardianship. And as a result of everyone's feedback (including yours), I deleted the video from YouTube. I hadn't taken a kid's viewing into consideration when I posted it originally. Thanks.

Keep it up! I'm right behind you.

TRB

not what they lok like its what they sound like. tupac had talent

Bear in mind, music taste is highly subjective...

Ever since freshman year in college, when my roommate listened to eminem literally non stop, I can't listen to rap, regardless of language, or performer, without instantly feeling a bit nauseous, disgusted, and having my head hurt just a bit.

Things

Agreed, there are only very few rap songs I can actually stand listening to, even then they're not up on my list of favourites.

I personally believe how you use vocals in a song is critical to whether it sounds good or not. Rap, to me, kind of falls into that category of basically someone just talking over the song. You need to vary your pitch at the very least to keep it interesting, IMO.

Last edited: