Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Fail this was not necessary!

Trevor

I have had them chase a dot into the road, but my conscious kicked in and I stopped that behavior, and yea I could blind them , but thats not cool either nor is feeding them huge amounts of LSD...katnip is enough to kill one Lsd is over kill.

save those drugs for the Swed;)

If they'll chase a dot into the road, won't they chase a dot into a (totally humane) box trap? 1mW red at night should do the trick...

You know you want to do this Wiley Coyote-style. ;)

Trevor

Jander- I saw an episode on NatGeo channel of new show called IIRC 'Resuce Ink' that dealt(partially) with a problem similar to yours- first off shooting bbs or anything like that at cats can wind you up in more than just catshit. Not sure about Fl but in most states its illegal. Plus except if you kill it I doubt they recall very much so you'd have to repeat the 'lesson' often and face it- that is a no-win situation. They do not seem to like water very much and squirting them is not illegal plus they make a device that is motion activated so EVERY time they come too close they get wet. Or you could hook a hose and have it aimed at their litterbox(ur flowerbed say) and watch for them to come in range--then turn on the spigot. I know they do not seem to like mothballs either which are cheap & easy to spread around. It is a known fact that feral pets who get more than enough to eat come into heat more often- so those 'kindhearted' folks can be actually part of the problem. If they REALLY cared they would trap them- pay to get them neutered- cut a tiny notch in one ear(to be able to know later on that they are fixed and now done adding to the problem lke they do on Galveston Island) then let them go or better find them a forever home. Just feeding them like that ,IMO is to make the people feel better ( but I don't recommend teling them that-its a waste of your time!). There is absolutely no way the overpopulation of cats and dogs will ever be under control if more pet owners realize that EVERY litter hurts!!! For each human born every day 7 cats and dogs get born---do the math. Big puppy mills and to a lesser degree,parking lot pets sellers are the biggest contributors to this situation. Never buy a cat or dog-- adopt or even better resuce one. Lastly recent advancements have made it possible to get a pet spayed/neutered earlier in life and cheaper too. There is help out there to help pay for the procedure all one has to do is look for it. Watch 'The Dog Whisperer' on NatGeo too- for sure he is 'dogs best friend'.-- good luck with your yard.-best regards-Len-- former shelter employee and presently volunteer. P.S. If you want your kiddos to experience birth and enjoy being with kittens and puppies --take them to the shelter-- sadly they ALWAYS have (too) many.

Fact: Cats like to chase laser dots.
Fact: This is a laser forum.
Fact: Many boxes and other containers are large enough to fit cats.
Fact: Many of these can be rigged to shut when something runs into the box.

I believe you have all you need, my friend.

Trevor

I like this idea..... I was thinking along the same lines...:eg:

Then you go for a nice long ride.... and let them loose in a field...
if you like....:whistle:

Oh BTW... I love my two Guard Cats...
they keep the dogs off my property or at least let me know there
is one close by.. and handle any rodent problems....:cool:

Jerry

I have trapped one of these feral cats in a trap before. That was exciting hissed at me like it had rabies then pried the corner of the door open and GOT OUT... it was a real u-tube moment. This is when I called the animal control on my neighbors who where told that I called on them and in return almost had to Mike Tyson my one time favorite neighbor over their compulsive need to feed these strays. I have had this discussion on another forum and basically the cat lovers, of course don't want the cat harmed understandably so yet can't seem to recognize that cat urine is second in nastiness only to cat feces and as long as it's not on there side of the fence OH! well.

So for all you people out there feeding stray cats think of you neighbors and how they
are dealing with the odor...and OH yea! there are dangerous diseases associated with these animals.

PS I don't live on a farm.

I live on farm land... in a rural Area....
It is only the males that mark their territory that smell so bad..
I only have female cats for that reason... all other cats are
not welcome on my land...:cool:

Jerry

Trevor

Then you go for a nice long ride.... and let them loose in a field...
if you like....:whistle:

I'm not even going to ask about these alternative plans. :whistle:

I like your idea of rodent control - though if I ever have a rodent problem I'll just somehow acquire a Nile Monitor. Of course, that would take care of other things to. Thirteen cats? No problem. :eek:

@jander6442 - The family of a girl I dated in high school liked to feed strays like this... it drove me absolutely crazy. :scowl:

Trevor

Hack, I wasn't even going to try the mothball thing...as a kid was exposed to these by my grandfolks I <me gulping> would rather smell <me gulping again> the cats.

Here is a novel idea quit feeding the stray's and let them fend for themselves.

I just remembered another annoying thing at night they are either mating or fighting and I work so that means I'm up wanting them to stop...The whole time wishing a safe would fall out of the sky on my head:(

When I was in high school some guys gave a cat a dose of LSD. It flipped out then died. Not a cool way to go.

Does anyone know if the pepper spray technique would work? That is, spraying the flower beds and lawn with it. I applied it to a few discreet spots on my couch with a q-tip once and it kept my cat and doberman away. I never tried it outside though.

Trevor

Does anyone know if the pepper spray technique would work? That is, spraying the flower beds and lawn with it. I applied it to a few discreet spots on my couch with a q-tip once and it kept my cat and doberman away. I never tried it outside though.

Could the pepper spray have any adverse effects on the outdoor areas it's applied to?

Trevor

I would rather deal with a pitbull than a pissed-off cat. Getting a cat out of a trap or cage can be an unforgetable experience. Also animals rarely get trapped more than once, so you can see where that idea goes once they escape. At the shelter they wear elbow high welders gloves and only open the trap/cage inside a closed small room and use a LONG pole with a wire noose and they still often get around all that and go crazy running around the walls like a motorcycle in a round cage--really!! and a big one can bite quite hard even thru the leather gloves. Feral animal feeders need to volunteer at the local animal shelter and help deal with this and the heartbreak of having to put so many down every day. On the average day at the Austin location(biggest in TX) 38 cats and/or dogs get the needle daily--year round!! Money and time spent feeding ferals would be much better spent in so many other ways!! Any mention of this will have many 'animal lovers ' calling for your head on a stake. They refuse to see it any other way. Too bad. I no longer waste my time trying to convince them other wise. BTW once the mothballs are in place you may not even notice the stink they make, but with thier superior sense of smell they WILL!! Pepper of any kind never worked for me.

I would rather deal with a pitbull than a pissed-off cat. Getting a cat out of a trap or cage can be an unforgetable experience. Also animals rarely get trapped more than once, so you can see where that idea goes once they escape. At the shelter they wear elbow high welders gloves and only open the trap/cage inside a closed small room and use a LONG pole with a wire noose and they still often get around all that and go crazy running around the walls like a motorcycle in a round cage--really!! and a big one can bite quite hard even thru the leather gloves. Feral animal feeders need to volunteer at the local animal shelter and help deal with this and the heartbreak of having to put so many down every day. On the average day at the Austin location(biggest in TX) 38 cats and/or dogs get the needle daily--year round!! Money and time spent feeding ferals would be much better spent in so many other ways!! Any mention of this will have many 'animal lovers ' calling for your head on a stake. They refuse to see it any other way. Too bad. I no longer waste my time trying to convince them other wise. BTW once the mothballs are in place you may not even notice the stink they make, but with thier superior sense of smell they WILL!! Pepper of any kind never worked for me.
Oh yes, cats are rather badass. I can't tell you how many times my cats come in with large, deep flesh wounds lol. I have 5 cats, half of them don't get along. They kick my dogs asses all the time lol.

One of my cats (and several before) was a stray. She literally just ran in my house one day and was like "I live here now" lol.

Trevor

I don't see what there is to debate. It is BLATANTLY obvious :p

If that was sarcasm or a true statement - it was totally lost on me. :p

Are you poking fun at the complexity of the issue? Or have I totally missed your point? :thinking:

Trevor