Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

F/S Titanium Chunk

AdamR said:
Just curious but if copper is so good at heat conductivity, why aren't we seeing more lasers using it in heatsinks? or is copper expensive?
it's very expensive.
Click on the link in my signature that says "copperhead".

Spyderz20x6 said:
[quote author=Diachi link=1240970566/0#11 date=1241021549][quote author=Eku link=1240970566/0#9 date=1240978902][quote author=Jimmymcjimthejim link=1240970566/0#8 date=1240976678][quote author=lordoflasers link=1240970566/0#0 date=1240970561][highlight]Titanium is notorious for its heat dissipation capabilities. [/highlight]
Widely known, especially for something bad
Explained right there in the first post ;)[/quote]

Epic fails are funny!  ;D

Stop making me want a silver heatsink syderz! :(
[/quote]

I believe diamond is better, if not just as good as silver AND it is stronger, so you won't dent it ! silver is quite soft. So if you can afford $10,000 of diamond, you can get a diamond heatsink, and it would make a great lens too !  ;D

-Adam[/quote]
Well, diamond only conducts well if it is in particles.  
You know, like diamond dust?
That is why they have diamond thermal compound.

Nevertheless, I was talking about metals...[/quote]

False.  A big, sold hunk of diamond is still an excellent thermal conductor.  In fact, a solid piece of diamond would be a better thermal conductor than diamond dust in general.  But you were talking about metals, and diamond is most definitely not a metal, so you're in the clear mostly.

ETA: psuedo beat me to this kindof, with that link above.

Jimmymcjimthejim said:
[quote author=AdamR link=1240970566/0#14 date=1241034095]Just curious but if copper is so good at heat conductivity, why aren't we seeing more lasers using it in heatsinks? or is copper expensive?
Copper is a little more expensive, yes, but that is not the main problem. From what I've heard Copper:
1. Is VERY hard to machine. I always see members complaining about how many drill bits they break from drilling copper.
2. Oxidizes fairly easily, ruining the finish.
[/quote]
Wrong.
If it is polished or clear coated, it will not oxidize.
Only the exposed parts tend to oxidize, so you just clear coat them.

Most of the people that complain about breaking their tooling bits are people with mini lathes.
It is even easy to machine with a mini lathe, only if you adjust it properly.

Hey Spyder. Why don`t you read up a bit on titanium heatsinks rather than bashing my thread with your BS.

I agree with the fact that titanium is a poor conductor of heat.

THATS BECAUSE IT DISSIPATES HEAT TOO QUICKLY TO BE USED AS A HEAT CONDUCTOR!!!!!

In our lasers we don't want heat conduction, we want heat dissipation.

lordoflasers said:
Hey Spyder.   Why don`t you read up a bit on titanium heatsinks rather than bashing my thread with your BS.

I agree with the fact that titanium is a poor conductor of heat.

THATS BECAUSE IT DISSIPATES HEAT TOO QUICKLY TO BE USED AS A HEAT CONDUCTOR!!!!!

In our lasers we don't want heat conduction, we want heat dissipation.
How can it dissipate it if it cannot contain it ::)

Go back to the first post.  I have added some links.  Titanium tends to absorb heat fast and cool down just as fast. It is used as a heatsink in many applications, so why not our lasers

lordoflasers said:
Go back to the first post.  I have added some links.  Titanium tends to absorb heat fast and cool down just as fast. It is used as a heatsink in many applications, so why not our lasers
Well, my bad then...

owned9wz.jpg

Seems to happen a lot to you Spydey

You can just google "titanium heatsink" and see many applications, such as motor/servos for R/C, laptops, processors, lasers and more.

Yeah, heatsinking is not just a function of thermal conductivity. You also have to take into account other things, like heat capacity, and in some cases how "good" of a black body the material is. I don't recall off the top of my head exactly the best properties to use, but I believe thermal diffusivity comes closer than thermal conductivity to predicting what the best heatsinking materials will be. Could be wrong though, and I really hated thermo.

Deadly

Ideally you want a high degree of conductivity and a high heat capacity. If its heat capacity is high relative to the amount of heat that needs to be dissipated then it may be an effective heat sink in some applications.