Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Experiments and various effects with glow powders (UPDATED 05-06-13))

Over the past few months I have been using aqua glow powder with a few 445nm lasers to produce various "halo" and other glow effects.

I don't start threads very often but I figured I would change it up a little and post some pictures.
The picture quality isn't great because I'm just using a phone camera in these photos, but the pictures still demonstrate the effects.

One of the first things I did with the powder was to coat the inside of lenses.
This allows a very large amount of light to contact the powder fully charging it almost instantly.
When the laser is then turned off the inside of the laser has a glow that lasts for hours.

Pure Aqua Glow Powder now available for purchase in small, cheap quantities! Click Here!

AquaLensHalo.jpg

I've recently created a more complex effect with some of my finer lasers by using the same material in combination with one of my custom machined focus adapters. (I have all machining done by the experienced hands of FlayminPyro.)

MarkIVa.jpg

MarkIVe.jpg

MarkIVb.jpg

MarkIVc.jpg

If you want more information on these particular lasers I will be posting a thread on them soon. I will have several of them for sale and they are unique in more ways than can be shown in photos (details will be included in the coming sales thread).
When I do post the sales thread, I will post a link to it in this thread.

While experimenting I also stumbled upon an interesting effect.
I was able to produce a different colored ring around the dot of the laser.
This colored ring is mostly just visible through safety glasses as the ring is much dimmer than the laser.
So the below pictures were taken through blue-blocking glasses.

RedRinga.jpg

RedRingb.jpg

Another effect I had been looking forward to trying to produce is a "Red Hot" effect.
I'm actually very pleased with the way this turned out. I knew the effect couldn't last too long or the laser wouldn't look like it was cooling down.
The below video demonstrates this "Red Hot" effect. The red glow is more noticeable than what the camera shows.

Here I used the same mixture as in my lasers in place of normal white sights. It looks great in low light conditions and almost the same as it did before in daylight (white).

Sights.jpg

That's all for now. Please feel free to post any questions or comments.
If anyone else has any other projects they've done with glow powders also feel free to post them here.

Last edited:

Re: Experiments and various effects with glow powders

I love the effect you created with the heatsink machined by FlayminPyro! +1!

Thanks Cube. I appreciate the compliments.

Pman

This has alot of potential. Really like the after glow at the end cap. Nice job

Pman

Own all the star trek movies on Blu:)

Thanks Pman.

Seoul_Lasers - I checked out that phaser and you're right, that does look pretty similar. Thanks for the +1 btw!

Also I've added a video demonstrating another effect I really like. The video doesn't capture it too well though. It looks more realistic in person.

Benm

That afterglow effect does look really cool, almost as if the beam was produced by a halogen lamp and you just see it cooling down when powering off.

Thanks Ben!

Great job, these look very cool. I make gitd o-rings but these look cool. Also hello fellow Michigander.

Thanks Mr. Willis. There's not to many of us enthusiasts from Michigan are there?

Say, you were looking for a label generator a few months ago. If you need any labels made feel free to check out my website. Fancy labels are my specialty. :D

Last edited:

I see that! Those are very sweet labels, and now that I have an ophir lpm I can get some labels made up for my lasers for the correct mw. And no not very many active members from around here, I seen one kids a little while back that had a c6 445 that he got that was two powerful that he was selling but that was about that.

Wait what's this "too powerful" you're talking about? You couldn't possibly be talking about a laser.. :thinking: