Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers



Laser Pointer Store

Ever set anything on fire... unintentionally?

Pi R Squared

New member
Joined
May 14, 2013
Messages
3,798
Points
0
One when I was 13 was soldering not paying
attention and set the iron down on the dining
room rug
Burned down to the padding and made smelly
smoke
Everyone be careful of that now days. All that synthetic carpet we have will give off toxic fumes when burning. You know why all the firemen have masks and air tanks now? It's because some of them were hospitalized after breathing poison gas when entering burning buildings. All that carpet and vinyl flooring and PVC pipe will all give off poison gas when burning.

Alan
 

wolfram

Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2008
Messages
154
Points
18
There is a positive side to the higher output of the new diode. It truly is great for pest control. The lower powers will enblazen insects for sure ,if they stop long enough. The 7W diode stops them and vaporizes them........All without toxic chemicals !
 

CoherentRays

Active member
Joined
Sep 15, 2010
Messages
223
Points
28
There is a positive side to the higher output of the new diode. It truly is great for pest control. The lower powers will enblazen insects for sure ,if they stop long enough. The 7W diode stops them and vaporizes them........All without toxic chemicals !
Only problem is, when you're vaporizing the insect, you have to be aware of what will happen to the surface the insect is sitting on. Shooting down an insect in flight would be a fun sport, as long as you're careful to not bring down an airliner with it. :yabbem:

Ed
 

Benm

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 16, 2007
Messages
8,115
Points
113
As far as lasers go: they only unintentional damage i did was poking a couple of wholes through the drapes back when the dvd writer things where the hype. I've become a bit more careful since.

As far a setting shit on fire: As i kid i used to make hot air balloons with friends, maybe at the age of 10-12 or so. We did that by suspeding some cloth/cotton soaked in ethanol or lamp oil below platic garbage bags with a bit of wire.

This setup works very well in low wind conditions, the things just rise until the fuel in spent and land somewhere without a problem.

At some point the wind tipped one over, setting the plastic bag on fire, making the whole thing come down in flames. It managed to land on the side of the local creek and set fire to the fairly dry reed at the side. Luckily only the reed burned down and nothing of value was damaged - but parents figured it out and that was pretty much the last go at that :D
 

WizardG

Well-known member
LPF Site Supporter
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
673
Points
63
Add my carhartt jacket to the list of things unintentionally holed. I had draped my jacket over the side of my washer (just for a minute) and when I grabbed it (half an hour later) I found my PLP 520-B1 pointer had gotten stuck on. The pointer was too hot to handle (but it still works!) and I have a small hole in the front left of my jacket.
 

ultimatekaiser

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2013
Messages
2,832
Points
83
I remember accidentally setting off an old demo pulsed ruby once, but it didn't set anything on fire...I think the only unintentional damage i've ever had was testing a green 3W and it left a few burn marks in my wall I had to fix before I came up with a good enough beam dump for it.
 
Last edited:

micheal rosen

Active member
Joined
Mar 22, 2015
Messages
580
Points
43
one of my friends ignited something with a cheap laser 303, but then he tried to put it out with spray deodorant... that didn't go well. he was fine, and his house and everything is fine but it sure scared the hell out of him.
 

RedCowboy

Well-known member
LPF Site Supporter
Joined
Jul 10, 2015
Messages
7,448
Points
113
I just burned a few slots in the front cover of a computer speaker.
I had my glasses on but you can't see ir, and when you put batteries in you always point in a safe direction, the switch might be on.
It's something I know well, but familiarity breeds contempt.
So always remember to not forget to be extra carful. LOL Seriously though.
 
Last edited:

RedCowboy

Well-known member
LPF Site Supporter
Joined
Jul 10, 2015
Messages
7,448
Points
113
Give it time buddy, it's like riding a motorcycle, either you have wrecked or you will. :beer:
 

Pi R Squared

New member
Joined
May 14, 2013
Messages
3,798
Points
0
one of my friends ignited something with a cheap laser 303, but then he tried to put it out with spray deodorant... that didn't go well. he was fine, and his house and everything is fine but it sure scared the hell out of him.
:crackup:I bet that was quite a surprise!

Everyone should know to keep all spray cans away from fire, most would become a small flame thrower and also have a risk of exploding.

Alan
 

DashApple

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
1,444
Points
83
One when I was 13 was soldering not paying
attention and set the iron down on the dining
room rug
Burned down to the padding and made smelly
smoke
I managed to burn my hand as I wasn't looking and picked a soldering iron up from the wrong end .... : P
 

Alien Laser

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 6, 2015
Messages
1,145
Points
113
HeHe i was clening my laser's host ( housing's ) and i used paper towel so threw tame in a bag and some other electronics, so i was like lets see if i can burn it ehehehe so i pointed the 7.3W laser at the trash bag and bum catch on fire i only realized its on fire when i toke of the safety googles i toke the bag and run thew it in the shower hahaha :crackup:
 

GSS

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2015
Messages
3,940
Points
113
I managed to burn my hand as I wasn't looking and picked a soldering iron up from the wrong end .... : P
Ouch did it make a sizzling sound:eek:........Alien your starting to scare me bro!
 
Last edited:

Alien Laser

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 6, 2015
Messages
1,145
Points
113
Oh and i forgot i pointed the 405nm laser on the wall from like 40 feet then i see somthing flicker on the wall i turn off the laser walked to see and i see black marks on the wall i can not clean it since its on the stairs hahah / And the last i was working on the 7.3W and i forgot to switch the end cap off so i pressed the push button hitting me self in the hand for like 1sec it hurt so bad it toke almost 30 days to heal outch :)
 

Alaskan

Well-known member
LPF Site Supporter
Joined
Jan 29, 2014
Messages
10,727
Points
113
Never accidentally set anything on fire with a laser but I was trouble when a young kid, poured a couple of ounces of gasoline into a coffee can and dropped a match into it from above, three feet above, burned my eye brows right off. Also, I looked into the sun with a telescope when I was 12 years old, is that stupid enough? Just flashed myself momentarily, saw a pink hue for two or three days before it subsided and to this day, my night vision is poor in that eye compared to the other.
 




Top