Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

EMS Shipping + US Customs = :(

sk8er4514 said:
[quote author=FrothyChimp link=1216170528/0#11 date=1216187007]Selling homebuilt lasers is as illegal as importing them. If you add the necessary safety features required by the FDA for the class of laser and register the laser you can sell them.
I'm reading up on the safety features and actually I have already been doing them with my laser warning labels.

21 CFR 1000-1040.11  has the safety regulations
"Affix to each medical laser product, in close proximity to each aperture through which is emitted accessible laser radiation in excess of the accessible emission limits of Class I, a label bearing the wording: "Laser aperture.""

I'm pretty sure this qualifies
dangerlabel.jpg

which i have been putting on every laser that i sell. :)

I made some different labels for my Blu Rays & higher than 245mW lasers which I have been putting on as well...

I'm getting a laser power meter in today or tomorrow which I'll be using a lot.. I'm going to make graphs and give the peak & average over 60sec values of every laser that I sell. make a "certificate of compliance" and make it look nice :) I think this will help w/ the legal stuff also.

just thought I'd share this.[/quote]
FYI, don't know if it really matters, but that is the 'old' way to list the Classification number, it's now supposed to be listed as Class 3b, instead of Class IIIb.

sk8er4514 said:
Ah Ok. I'll change it to Class 3b.

thanks for the tip

As a general FYI - all you are doing is making a gesture :( If you do not comply to ALL the requirements pertaining to the limits and laws of legal laser sales - you are in violation of them. Something as simple as labeling them properly will be more damning to you than leaving them alone, unlabeled, in their flashlight hosts. I am not making suggestions at all - I am merely stating the logical thought processes that the majority of law enforcement would have. To rephrase what I said - unless you comply 100% with the laws regarding laser sales in the United States of America - then you are clearly in violation of them. If you PARTIALLY comply with the laws and regulations, you are admitting that you KNOW that what you are doing is illegal, and things WILL be tougher for you in the long run. If you choose to sell any item that is clearly in violation of the law - you need to prepare yourself for prosecution by the government, period.

SORT of on the subject - since Electron/PICRTHIS lied about/ claimed association with the U.S. Customs department / Law Enforcement - and in truth is nowhere even CLOSE to being anywhere as intelligent enough, nor is any of his information reliable enough to make any legitimate difference - I would highly suggest any sort of input he has in your mind be treated as the total bullshit that it is. I realize that by posting this information - he is going to retaliate with inflammatory posts of his own - and therefor completely ruining your thread - and I apologize in advance for that...but truth be told, it was ruined as soon as his over-inflated ego prompted him to post more rhetoric and bunk.

i feel it is safer to have labels than not have them. I'd rather not have someone burn their eyes out because they thought it was a flashlight.

and I assume that selling diodes is legal b/c the user has to build it them self, correct?

and i have no clue what you are talking about w/ electron lying.. you might want to just PM that and talk with him that way

SenKat_Stonetek said:
[quote author=sk8er4514 link=1216170528/0#17 date=1216221071]Ah Ok. I'll change it to Class 3b.

thanks for the tip

As a general FYI - all you are doing is making a gesture :(  If you do not comply to ALL the requirements pertaining to the limits and laws of legal laser sales - you are in violation of them.  Something as simple as labeling them properly will be more damning to you than leaving them alone, unlabeled, in their flashlight hosts.  I am not making suggestions at all - I am merely stating the logical thought processes that the majority of law enforcement would have.  To rephrase what I said - unless you comply 100% with the laws regarding laser sales in the United States of America - then you are clearly in violation of them.  If you PARTIALLY comply with the laws and regulations, you are admitting that you KNOW that what you are doing is illegal, and things WILL be tougher for you in the long run.  If you choose to sell any item that is clearly in violation of the law - you need to prepare yourself for prosecution by the government, period.

SORT of on the subject - since Electron/PICRTHIS lied about/ claimed association with the U.S. Customs department / Law Enforcement - and in truth is nowhere even CLOSE to being anywhere as intelligent enough, nor is any of his information reliable enough to make any legitimate difference - I would highly suggest any sort of input he has in your mind be treated as the total bullshit that it is.  I realize that by posting this information - he is going to retaliate with inflammatory posts of his own - and therefor completely ruining your thread - and I apologize in advance for that...but truth be told, it was ruined as soon as his over-inflated ego prompted him to post more rhetoric and bunk. [/quote]
Greg YOUR the "F*cking" liar, not me and everything YOU have said is a big lie. I Challenge you to prove otherwise. Your nothing but a STUPID SCAMMER!!! Get LOST and get LIFE!!!

Isn't Karma a bitch!! Made by NOIR huh? YOUR THE STUPID LIAR!!!!

You are required by law to properly label your laser systems including the manufacture information and manufacture date, which is you and when you built it. Furthermore anything higher than 5mW and you need aperture shutters, interlocks, safety keys, emission delays (And i'm not talking about emission delays with your girlfriend. She already knows you are a three pump chump. Oooh, did I say that out loud? I'm working on my comedy act for when I retire from the laser business. Sometimes I just crack myself up.) Anyway, if you cannot comply with the FDA requirements, then on the registration of the laser you must explain why certain features cannot be added. The FDA evaluates the reasons and approves/disapproves the application. I suspect the most common waiver is an aperture shutter.

You are only one of literally thousands of people in the US that builds and sells lasers. The probability you will get popped by the FDA is low but they are looking because they know there is nothing they can do about China forging customs documents. I suspect a person will come to the attention of the FDA when one of their lasers burns someone or blinds someone and their parents freak. If I know the law you become culpable both for criminal and civil proceedings because the root of the issue is an illegally manufactured and distributed laser system.

Reselling an illegally imported laser nets you the same legal difficulties. You become liable because you are distributing the laser, even if it is one you purchased for your own use and later sell to a friend.

I'm not making any moral judgments here. I'm explaining how the FDA sees things. If you are compelled to produce your own laser systems (and I'm speaking in general to all manufacturers) just watch your back and stay off the radar.

FrothyChimp:

Excellent post/info, I have always respected your info when you post.  You are always professional and very knowledgeable on the subject matter and I for one read what you write with great interest.  Keep up the good work.

I also suspect it's only a matter time before a teen buys one of these high powered lasers or a pair of Non-Certified "safety glasses", gets hurts and then all the liability lawsuit's are filed by the parents; they'll own somebody when that happens.

JLSE

FrothyChimp said:
You are required by law to properly label your laser systems including the manufacture information and manufacture date, which is you and when you built it. Furthermore anything higher than 5mW and you need aperture shutters, interlocks, safety keys, emission delays (And i'm not talking about emission delays with your girlfriend. She already knows you are a three pump chump. Oooh, did I say that out loud? I'm working on my comedy act for when I retire from the laser business. Sometimes I just crack myself up.) Anyway, if you cannot comply with the FDA requirements, then on the registration of the laser you must explain why certain features cannot be added. The FDA evaluates the reasons and approves/disapproves the application. I suspect the most common waiver is an aperture shutter.

You are only one of literally thousands of people in the US that builds and sells lasers. The probability you will get popped by the FDA is low but they are looking because they know there is nothing they can do about China forging customs documents. I suspect a person will come to the attention of the FDA when one of their lasers burns someone or blinds someone and their parents freak. If I know the law you become culpable both for criminal and civil proceedings because the root of the issue is an illegally manufactured and distributed laser system.

Reselling an illegally imported laser nets you the same legal difficulties. You become liable because you are distributing the laser, even if it is one you purchased for your own use and later sell to a friend.

I'm not making any moral judgments here. I'm explaining how the FDA sees things. If you are compelled to produce your own laser systems (and I'm speaking in general to all manufacturers) just watch your back and stay off the radar.

Question, what if say a labby type DIY has all the requirements and you dont submit anything to the FDA, what could one expect?

A non-registered laser is a non-registered laser. The FDA could throw the book at you or just give you a warning. If you build a system for sale and you have all the safety requirements, contact the FDA and complete the registration process. They only want to know who is building them and that the lasers meet regulations.

JLSE

FrothyChimp said:
A non-registered laser is a non-registered laser. The FDA could throw the book at you or just give you a warning. If you build a system for sale and you have all the safety requirements, contact the FDA and complete the registration process. They only want to know who is building them and that the lasers meet regulations.

That sounds like a good idea, thanks. I was looking for some literature on this subject regarding Canadian laws, but havent found much other than shipping regulations.

I am so sorry to hear about this, I have worried about this happening to me in the past. :( Thanks for sharing.

So - back to the original point, I suppose ;) EMS is bad if you use DX or Sure Electronics for lasers being brought into the US.

I'm only confused about one thing - Does this only apply to handhelds, or does it apply to labbies too?

yes. any laser device will be searched by US Customs, especially when using EMS shipping....

Ive got my dilda shipped on 9th but i can't  track it in Canada idk whats wrong... they got it shipped 3day ago.