Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Effective Distance Question 175-200 mw

You don't shine the laser directly at the craft. You shine it next to it at a safe distance just in case you have mistaken an airplane or helo for the laser. No worries, we where taught about this by the person doing the training session that I went on. He had in hand a 224mw greenie that worked awesome in the hazy night air of the smokey mountains just outside of Asheville.

That person that did the training is the guy in the video, Steven Greer. Ever heard of The Disclosure Project? That was his baby. He made it very clear to us when it came to laser safety and laser law. As long as you are not shining the laser at aircraft then no one is going to come knoking on the door (laser police).

I am 32 years old, a professional agronomist, and intuitive shaman. I would not believe this for myself unless I had not just gone out and see it for myself. It is not this now you see it now you don't B.S. they consistently have craft show up when they do the contact protocols which are mostly meditative with some tech involved. The tech is just a kind of icing on the cake.

I was supprised as anyone was that this was actually for real. I had watched the video and said to myself "looks like it might be cool, but I would have to see it in person". So I went and saw it in person. Trust me, a conventional aircraft does not move at about 60k miles per hour and make a sudden 40 degree turn. We saw some s--t. Watch the video, it is all true. I have verified it along with the other 80 people that where there.

mfo

You don't shine the laser directly at the craft. You shine it next to it at a safe distance just in case you have mistaken an airplane or helo for the laser. No worries, we where taught about this by the person doing the training session that I went on. He had in hand a 224mw greenie that worked awesome in the hazy night air of the smokey mountains just outside of Asheville.

That person that did the training is the guy in the video, Steven Greer. Ever heard of The Disclosure Project? That was his baby. He made it very clear to us when it came to laser safety and laser law. As long as you are not shining the laser at aircraft then no one is going to come knoking on the door (laser police).

I am 32 years old, a professional agronomist, and intuitive shaman. I would not believe this for myself unless I had not just gone out and see it for myself. It is not this now you see it now you don't B.S. they consistently have craft show up when they do the contact protocols which are mostly meditative with some tech involved. The tech is just a kind of icing on the cake.

I was supprised as anyone was that this was actually for real. I had watched the video and said to myself "looks like it might be cool, but I would have to see it in person". So I went and saw it in person. Trust me, a conventional aircraft does not move at about 60k miles per hour and make a sudden 40 degree turn. We saw some s--t. Watch the video, it is all true. I have verified it along with the other 80 people that where there.

So what if you do accidentally shine it towards an aircraft, but not directly at it. Do you really think the pilot is just going to say "Hmm, that person on the ground is not shining it directly at my plane, so no worries here"? They're going to call the authorities, and they are going to come looking for you. You need a license and FAA clearance to direct a laser skyward, it's just that simple. What do you think the cops are going to do/say/think when you tell them your reasoning?...I'm not trying to shoot down your ambitions, but I really think what you're planning on doing is a bad idea not just for you, but for all of us. People that shine lasers at/towards aircraft ruin it for all of us by making congress pass stricter laws on lasers. Just something for you to think about.

So what if you do accidentally shine it towards an aircraft, but not directly at it. Do you really think the pilot is just going to say "Hmm, that person on the ground is not shining it directly at my plane, so no worries here"? They're going to call the authorities, and they are going to come looking for you. You need a license and FAA clearance to direct a laser skyward, it's just that simple. What do you think the cops are going to do/say/think when you tell them your reasoning?...I'm not trying to shoot down your ambitions, but I really think what you're planning on doing is a bad idea not just for you, but for all of us. People that shine lasers at/towards aircraft ruin it for all of us by making congress pass stricter laws on lasers. Just something for you to think about.

I call B.S., you are over reacting. If this is true than why are some green lasers marketed for astronomy work in the back yard? In major publications no less? I think that you are the one that needs to go on a fact checking mission.

You think pilots have the time to track down where a laser that was barely visible a mile or more off of their fight path came from. What are they going to track it with? Then the cops are going to do what? Review the latest report from their local nutrino detection grid?

The individual who trained us on the use of the lasers in the sky has had one on one conversations with and taken FAA and Air force traffic controllers out to the field and done this work with them. You really think that they would have neglected to mention to him a law about laser light in the sky?

Dude, go take a chill pill. The world of lasers is not going to come down around you because I used one in the sky.

Last edited:

mfo

I call B.S., you are over reacting. If this is true than why are some green lasers marketed for astronomy work in the back yard? In major publications no less? I think that you are the one that needs to go on a fact checking mission.

"Some" Green lasers, like 5mW. Even those can land you in trouble if misused. Anything over 5mW is technically illegal to operate in the U.S. without a license.

You think pilots have the time to track down where a laser that was barely visible a mile or more off of their fight path came from. What are they going to track it with? Then the cops are going to do what? Review the latest report from their local nutrino detection grid?

Do you think that a pilot is not going to want to try to get another moron off of the streets? While I do agree that you can't really blind a pilot with a laser, it can be distracting at night time, plus I wouldn't want the beam hitting me in the face, even if I am high in the air. It might not be dangerous, but they're my eyes, not yours. I guess you've never heard of people getting locked up for pointing a laser at an aircraft. It's happened plenty of times already actually.

The individual who trained us on the use of the lasers in the sky is friends with the head of the NSA, CIA, Joint Chiefs Intelligence committee and so on. He has had one on one conversations with and taken FAA and Air force traffic controllers out to the field and done this work with them. You really think that they would have neglected to mention to him a law about laser light in the sky?

The individual that trained you? Where was this so called training conducted might I ask? Did you receive a license to operate such lasers? I'm sure your friend is friends with all of those heads, and I'm even more sure that they'll get you out of a mess should you happen to land in one.

Dude, go take a chill pill. The world of lasers is not going to come down around you because I used one in the sky.

You're right, it's not going to come down because someone used one in the sky. However if you add that one up with all of the other ignorant folks out there that have used them in the sky, someone is going to eventually step in to take action.

I'm trying to help you out, but I guess you've already been brain washed by your cult. Listen. Your so called friend giving you training is not going to mean crap when you're in handcuffs. You need a license to operate them in the sky, period. You can think what you want, I'm not the tool that's going to end up on the headlines on the 10 o'clock news so do what you want I guess. You act like it's all that difficult for a pilot to get a rough estimate as to where the beam is coming from. Let even one other person see you and call the cops and it's a done deal from you. Plus you talk about all of this professionalism, yet you're ordering a laser from IgorT. I'm not trying to shoot down IgorT, he's cool and all, but by no means is that a professional laser.

P.S. And if your friend did in fact train you, you would know that you need a license to operate such a laser & FAA clearance to operate it skyward. Sure, we've all pointed our pointers in the sky for a few seconds, but pointing it at an aircraft is really just looking for trouble.

P.P.S.
Hello, I am a laser newb.
You're contradicting yourself by saying you've received training by your so called friend who is friends with every "big boy" department in the U.S.

Last edited:
Uhh... yes they do have to time and technique to be able to pinpoin the location of the beam source. They trained for such stuff. And the lasers that are advertised for star pointing do work well for doing so, but like most astronomers do... you need a license and clearance from the FAA just like mfo said.

I do want to to tear down your ambitions either, but I think there are safer ways to point out craft in the sky.. perhaps by video playback?

In just about any case, whether you're licensed or not, its a bad idea to point a class 3b laser above the horizon.

mfo

Heh, upon proof reading my post for grammatical errors, I realized the irony of my signature in relation to this topic. :san:

Sure, we've all pointed our pointers in the sky for a few seconds, but pointing it at an aircraft is really just looking for trouble

You are being belligerent. First, you really think I can't tell the difference between a conventional aircraft with marker lights and normal speed and course corrections from a craft with antigravitic capabilities and superluminal characteristics like speed and sudden changes in course correction?

Second, It is not like we are out there convincing ourselves that a helicopter is a UFO. Third, we are talking about fireing a laser into the air a mile or more clear of the craft. How is that any different than just shooting it in the air for a few seconds in any major city? I think you are just picking the fly shit out of the pepper because you don't have anything better to do.

Thanks for turning this thread into an abortion. I am going to move on now. By the way, I am not in any cult you jack ass. Have fun with your high anxiety paradigm. Over and out!

Ok never mind, I will just use it for burning ants. Everyone happy now? To many rules obsesed geeks in here for me. I will just stick to buying lasers and stay out of these forums for now on. Later.

mfo

You are being belligerent. First, you really think I can't tell the difference between a conventional aircraft with marker lights and normal speed and course corrections from a craft with antigravitic capabilities and superluminal characteristics like speed and sudden changes in course correction?

Lay off the heroin.

Second, It is not like we are out there convincing ourselves that a helicopter is a UFO. Third, we are talking about fireing a laser into the air a mile or more clear of the craft. How is that any different than just shooting it in the air for a few seconds in any major city? I think you are just picking the fly shit out of the pepper because you don't have anything better to do.

When you are traveling at a couple hundred miles per hour, do you really think that a mile is all that far?

Thanks for turning this thread into an abortion. I am going to move on now. By the way, I am not in any cult you jack ass. Have fun with your high anxiety paradigm. Over and out!

You turned your own thread into an abortion. All we're trying to do is help you by educating you.

Yes, accusing me of being in a cult is educating me. Thank you so much, I am so much smarter now. Logging our for good now. Have a nice day.

mfo

Ok never mind, I will just use it for burning ants. Everyone happy now? To many rules obsesed geeks in here for me. I will just stick to buying lasers and stay out of these forums for now on. Later.

Rule obsessed geeks in here? Burning ants? You really are an ignorant asshole. You come in here asking questions, we try to help you out, then you act like you have the whole world figured out. Go do what you want with your laser. All I know is I'll have a good laugh when I eventually hear about you on the news. Just because 99.9% of the users are rule and safety conscious, that doesn't make us geeks. It's morons like you that ruin this hobby for everyone else. You say you're 32. I really hope you're lying because if you are indeed 32, you have a LOT of growing up to do.

P.S. I'm sending this thread URL to IgorT, hopefully he'll be decent enough to read it, see what your intents are and will cancel your order.

mfo

Here's what might happen...

The brother in law of my closest friend is currently serving a 3 month prison sentence for shining a laser at a helicopter, a police helicopter no less... he has lost his job and now has a criminal record which will likely make his future career prospects somewhat bleak, not to mention the other ways having a criminal record can have an impact on your life.

He claimed it was an accident, the laser was only on the helicopter for a matter of seconds... considering the possible consequences of his actions i think he got off very lightly.

A couple of lesson's to be learned here perhaps, not least of which is showing some tact.

Just to prove to you that it does and can happen.

:pop:

I don't think you can reason with a person trying to point out a UFO with a laser.

Just my 2 cents

Ok I am back, sorry for my confrontational communication last night. I was on a few hours sleep last night and my fuse was much shorter than normal. That being said, calling me an asshole, judging me as childish, saying that I am in a mind control cult, saying that you hope I blind myself with my laser and you will laugh when I am carted away from jail for violating FAA laws and regulations is more than confrontational. It is malevolent and completely unnecessary.

I am in the process of learning about lasers and I did have some preconceived notions about what was legal and what was not, that where not accurate. I am not out to walk the line of sanity by shooting these things at aircraft or anywhere close enough to an aircraft for it to be a danger to the pilots. I have multiple friends that are helo and aircraft pilots and I would never want to risk blinding anyone or causing a safety issue for a pilot.

I have now read on the net that the law is very much related to distance from a major air fair (air port) in that you must be at least 10 miles from a major air fair to shoot any laser of any power into the air. Also that there is another law that sets the maximum power of any laser shot into the air in terms of 2mw/cubic centimeters out side of the 10 mile radius. At least the United States / FAA jurisdiction. This would put the laser I have ordered form IgorT into that illegal range for using in the sky.

I could not find where I can apply for one of these special License that would allow me to use the laser in a responsible way for pointing at both stationary stars and stars that do not seem to be so stationary. I would like to apply for one of these license because I wish to keep all of my bases covered. The pointing will not be directly at these stars, more like 20 degrees above, below, left or right of these astronomical objects in a quick large circular pattern around the star or what ever you wish to perceive it as.

If it looks like a star but moves a break neck speed and changes direction at acute angles, it may be something other than what most people have ever seen. Therefore they dismiss it as crazy talk or cult like observations. Please be aware that I am a very rational, spiritual, ethical, sane, and sober individual and if you wish to judge me as other than this then that is your issue not mine. I did not buy into this until I went out and saw it for myself. Jumping to the conclusion that anyone who has seen a UFO is insane or delusional is the judgers ego protecting the happy comfortable world view they have created for themselves.

I warned all of you that I was a nutty nut bag because I know how the tendency is in the general population to automatically segregate the opinions of anyone that are outside of the norm as crazy. I have come to expect this from people and it never surprises me when this happens. Therefore, If you wish to come in this thread and bash me for not being afraid to tell what I have seen with my own two eyes, then go right ahead. Just be aware that you are only impressing yourself and no one else.

I'm not sure about where to get a license for above horizon pointing, but then again I'm also not sure that just anyone can even get them. There may to some criteria that needs to met first. Such as, you need reasoning to apply. If you could fit under the whole astronomical observation umbrella, then I bet you could get somewhere. But we ought to do more research to find out exactly what it takes to get a license though.. it would be good to know.

Personally, the only issue that I have with anything you've posted is the fact that you will be using the laser to point *near* an airborne object without knowing exactly what the object is. Your own beliefs are yours to have, and I will not judge you based on them.

As you have no doubt found out, It is a felony in the US to point high-powered lasers in the direction of any aircraft. there is no addendum to this law that states "unless it's a UFO". It's a felony even if it's a UFO, and the members of this forum are right to criticize you for it.

People shining lasers at aircraft (ANY aircraft) will eventually be the reason that portable lasers are made illegal to possess, and no one here wants that to happen. You can bet that if you come here and talk about pointing at airborne objects, we will jump on you about it. If you doubt the fact that it is illegal, look it up. You'll see that not only is it illegal, but there have been many arrests around the world.

It is also illegal to shine any laser over 5mW into the air without express approval from the FDA and FAA. Period. You can get the necessary variance form from the FDA, but they will not approve it unless the laser you are using is approved as well. (IgorTs are not approved)

The law is the law. As was said before, we have all pointed our lasers into the sky once or twice, so no one has an issue with that. The fact that you plan on doing it frequently and the fact that there is a "professional" teaching you that it's OK to do is absurd. This person is no professional, that much is for sure.

Also, if you see a UFO, why do you need to point a laser at it in the first place? Is it not good enough just to see/film it?

Do yourself and everyone here a favor and stop pointing your lasers at airborne objects.

Last edited: