Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Eagle Pair safety glasses both 200-450nm and 580-760nm from powerfulpurchase on Ebay

Kenom

OK, one of my MSN buddies decides to send me a link to some Goggles for his laser. I looked at the goggles and thought to myself.. Ok just another fly by night laser shades that aren't up to snuff. I then noticed the location for the seller was in HELENA, MT and got confused. Why were they showing my location there instead of the location of the seller?

I asked my friend "what is the location show for you?" He says "HELENA, MT your town." That did it. There was no way that someone from the Netherlands was going to see the same town unless it truly is located in my home town. I decided contacting the seller was warranted and I sent her an email indicating I was a laser fanatic and was interested in truly testing her glasses to see if they were up to snuff. If they were, she was pretty much assured a continued sale as a result of my contacts and review at LPF.

Later that evening I received a call from her indicating that she had no problem whatsoever letting me do a review and that she was quite interested to see if the laser goggles themselves were truly up to snuff. I told her I had the laser equipment to truly test out the shades and she would get a direct link to this review as well as any videos of testing I did on them. Not a few hours later, we had a lengthy conversation in my driveway as I explained my expertise and she asked me questions. She handed me 2 pairs of glasses to review, one for red, and one for blue/green and I showed her the Arctic 940mw I have and how effective the glasses were in just a few seconds at filtering the laser beam. She was impressed and went on her way. Now for the nitty gritty.

The TESTING!

Setup: Kenometer original (known to be calibrated against a coherent fieldmate TO-II.
Wicked laser Spyder III pro (Arctic) rated at 940mw average 445nm
Kryton prototype 280mw 660nm red laser.
Eagle pair glasses rated for 200-540nm at OD4+ (case and cleaning cloth included)
Eagle pair glasses rated for 190-400nm & 580-760nm at OD4+ (case and cleaning cloth included)

Testing setup will be a test of the output power with the laser and no glasses, then moving the lens of the glasses into the beam and seeing the difference in output power registered on teh Kenometer. I will video this.

Pictures:
DSC00195.JPG

DSC00196.JPG

DSC00197.JPG

DSC00199.JPG

The real testing:
Ok lets start with the orange pair designed to block from 200-540nm at OD4+
the test laser is the Arctic metered at roughly 940mw prior to testing.

The laser itself is shown in the video of outputting the specified output. it does drop pretty quickly as a result of the nature of the laser.

CLICK THE PICTURE TO PLAY THE VIDEO

With a significant power drop with the goggles in place, these shades are pretty doggone good at almost COMPLETELY stopping the light. There were some burn marks from my first test off camera when I held the laser in place for too long. It does damage the lenses, but it's supposed to protect our eyes, and it did that even with the burn.

Against the green these shades did fairly well as well. Not a single mw was allowed through either.

On to the red blocking lenses.

The ebay auction states that the shades protect against 190-400nm & 580-760nm at OD4+ however nowhere on the glasses do you see the wavelength so what they do protect against, I cannot conjecture to say. What I can speak on is the laser used in the test. The laser is 270mw of 660nm and this is the result:

CLICK THE PICTURE TO PLAY THE VIDEO

As you can see, the same as the blue blocking, there was little or no light allowed through.. this will definitely protect against accidental reflections.

Conclusion: Overall I think these shades will protect VERY well from accidental beam reflection or even direct exposure to high powered lasers of the specified wavelengths. I do have one minor beef in that the glasses themselves are constructed of pretty light duty plastic in the frame portion itself so mishandling of the glasses could easily result in breakage of the glasses. You would have to make sure that they remain in the protective case when not in use and handle them with a little care when they are in use so as not to break them. However given the overall positive results of the tests thus far, I'd say that they are a very good investment for the price. You might see the price going up shortly as the prices the seller gets them for will be going up soon and they have no control over the prices they purchase them for. Still, even if these were under $40 that would still be a good investment in my estimation.

Pros: Completely blocks the specified wavelengths. You need not worry about any eye damage as a result of the beam hitting the glasses.

Cons: Little bit flimsy construction and quality of plastic in the frame section of the glasses. However since they are only going to be used for laser playing and not day to day regular usage, this is not a significant con.

I would like to see the glasses actually tested by whatever lab tests need to be to actually be CERTIFIED. I know however that if they do, this will drive the price of these up considerably. So this is a trade off. Good glasses that provide good protection with no certification for a cheap price or, the same quality glasses with the certification and a elevated price... I'd pick the cheap.

eBay My World - powerfulpurchase

Last edited:

+1. Wonderful review.

It's great to see we're getting some good protection for bargain-basement prices. You're not the only one who had good experiences with Eagle Pair either- someone else got a pair for their Arctic.

Inevitably, there'll be those who will complain about how these aren't certified.

Who cares if they aren't certified- they work well enough to meet the ODs they're being sold as. That's what counts- if they work, then they work.

With goggles like these there's no excuse for going blind from eye damage.

Here is their website : Untitled Document

It would be fantastic to see some of the other styles and other wavelengths from PowerfulPurchase too.

EDIT: POS and potentially misleading statement removed. Who expected quality control to actually exist?

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I just checked and noticed they were in stock. I picked up a pair after looking at your results.

They have a blue-blocking pair (200-460nm) which may come in handy for Arctic and 405 users who want visibility without sacrificing protection.

EP7.jpg

Niko, and I have the same pair from Laserwave. They are junk. The coatings are not consistent, and they offer next to nothing for protection.

I like my OEM goggles, and would not waste my money, or eyesight using non-certified lenses. Sure the reviewed pair looks good, but that does not mean they are consistent quality. What if you are the one that gets the bad pair? My eyes are worth more.

DJNY

Some people are going to jump on this and we will see how random picked goggles from this seller work.
Anyway, very nice review Ken! (+1) I´m glad that you weren´t lazy and wrote a bit about testing them :whistle:

Nice review! I will probably buy a pair after reading this review, thanks!:gj:

X FLY

one the title: ...both 200-450nm and... shouldn't this be 200-540nm?

Nice review btw :)

ZapU

Niko, and I have the same pair from Laserwave. They are junk. The coatings are not consistent, and they offer next to nothing for protection.

I like my OEM goggles, and would not waste my money, or eyesight using non-certified lenses. Sure the reviewed pair looks good, but that does not mean they are consistent quality. What if you are the one that gets the bad pair? My eyes are worth more.

Great review Ken!

I have two of these goggles for blue-green. They both work equally well. No variations in QC in my two. They are marked CE certified OD4.
I posted my review of them here

GREAT REVIEW!! I have just purchased a pair of these, from the same seller too.

Thank You for your review of the Eagle Pair glasses. I just ordered 2 pair from her ebay site based on your presentation. As a laser novice a can't afford going blind just at the beginning of this hobby. You should get a commission!

WF

I'd been considering them, looked for reviews and found this (thanks!) and when I went back there were only 2 left. So I bought them.

I just took delivery of a 200mw (new focusable waterproof from o-like) but I'm not loving the goggles I ordered with the laser so was looking for a new set or two. The laser totally meets my expectations, btw -- balloons and dark paper go down fast, while the beam is focusable so I can light up targets a significant distance away. Was just burning through the black insert in a CD case today - only a few seconds with proper focus and a steady hand.

Somewhat OT, but I'm wondering if there is an affordable pair of goggles that is really OD 3-4 at red wavelengths. -- The ones from o-like don't quite provide the protection I want, but a borrowed pair of laserglow goggles block 100% (claim OD4) so the spot is totally invisible with my 200 and the friend's 300 mw red. 100% invisible meaning the spot reflected off a white surface is not detectable by eye in a dim room.

If these do it for me, I'll put something up. But I'm interested in the experiences of others -- is there no way to see what you are doing while still being protected?

Is it bad form to reply to your own post?

Anyhow, the EP red blocking goggles arrived today (very fast shipping) and a quick test with the laser listed above showed a small dim dot, which was EXACTLY what I wanted. An A/B comparison with the O-like goggles revealed a huge difference. My son asked why I bought new goggles so I told him to try the old ones -- "Whoa!" was his reaction.

In short, complain about the lack of specificity in the specifications if you must. These were exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for the review! I picked up a pair for my red build. Although they removed all of the side splatter & most of the primary dot, I can still see a red dot on the wall. I definitely won't be shining towards anything reflective, but for the price, I have to say they are worth it. They are MUCH better than nothing at all.

Hmm. I ordered a pair on 11/21 and they haven't arrived yet. They must have strapped them to a tortoise.