Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DYE help

Jim H

Hello. I am new and was directed to this forum as a possible source for information on DYE lasers, even though you mostly delve in solid state from what I can see. I have a ring DYE laser I bought many many years back. I had hopes of getting a high powered argon to pump it with, although that didn't happen. This was well before diode lasers came in anything but red and IR. Now I have put it for sale on a website, but I would really like to get it working, so that I can say I know that it does. It looks like they had probably used rhodamine 6G in it, so that's what I would like to use. My questions are, what concentration would I need using ethylene glycol, and would I be able to pump it with a 3W 405nm that I had bought to put on my 3D printer(which also hasn't been installed for a while now)?

Thanks for any insights.
Jim H

NP, I found someone in Germany and someone in Ukraine selling the dye, but the Ukraine offering looks the color of dirt, Germany offering a bright redish color. Both claim close to 99% purity, but I don't know what is the reality with the Ukraine listing except the price difference is huge, Germany offering 1 gram of 12 something USD, Ukraine 100 grams for 35 or so dollars.

Jim H

Finally found what I really needed, max absorption wavelength and concentrations for different dyes. At chem.ucla.edu/~craigim/pdfmanuals/catalogs/Lamdachrome-laser-dyes.pdf

Jim H

NP, I found someone in Germany and someone in Ukraine selling the dye, but the Ukraine offering looks the color of dirt, Germany offering a bright redish color. Both claim close to 99% purity, but I don't know what is the reality with the Ukraine listing except the price difference is huge, Germany offering 1 gram of 12 something USD, Ukraine 100 grams for 35 or so dollars.
I did find a US supplier for $26/gram, for the 6G, but with a 405 pump, I think a different dye would be better now that I have found info. If the color of the Ukraine dye isn't correct, I wouldn't trust it. Could be their photo is off color, but...

Hello. I am new and was directed to this forum as a possible source for information on DYE lasers, even though you mostly delve in solid state from what I can see. I have a ring DYE laser I bought many many years back. I had hopes of getting a high powered argon to pump it with, although that didn't happen. This was well before diode lasers came in anything but red and IR. Now I have put it for sale on a website, but I would really like to get it working, so that I can say I know that it does. It looks like they had probably used rhodamine 6G in it, so that's what I would like to use. My questions are, what concentration would I need using ethylene glycol, and would I be able to pump it with a 3W 405nm that I had bought to put on my 3D printer(which also hasn't been installed for a while now)?

Thanks for any insights.
Jim H

I looked but did not find your 'intro' in our 'Newcomer/Welcome' section where we traditionally
Make an intro about ourselves --also if you should ever want to attend 'Laser Meet' we cannot invite you w/o a location.
If you are unsure about how to make a proper intro just go to that section and read the many
great newcomer intros and get back many kind words of greeting.

We have a lot to offer--so stick around (dont be what we call 'hit and run' member--OKAY!?)

Len in Houston-

Jim H

I looked but did not find your 'intro' in our 'Newcomer/Welcome' section where we traditionally
Make an intro about ourselves --also if you should ever want to attend 'Laser Meet' we cannot invite you w/o a location.
If you are unsure about how to make a proper intro just go to that section and read the many
great newcomer intros and get back many kind words of greeting.

We have a lot to offer--so stick around (dont be what we call 'hit and run' member--OKAY!?)

Len in Houston-
Hello Hakzaw, I will introduce myself there, but I am not nearly into lasers as much as I once was, as I have so many other interests that take priority. So in the end, I may be more of a "hit and run" type member, but I appreciate the help, and if I run into anyone with an interest, I will recommend this group.

that's great.
This forum is very habit forming.

Especially after one attends a LEM.

Anybody who attends ones will agree.
Laser folks are the best ever!!
Lots of lasers that you may never see elsewhere.
Some bring them not working but they go home fixed.

No doubt the best place to network.

The BS&T room is very popular.
There is often a thread asking what is wanted and what can be brought to the LEM to buy or trade etc.

I won door-prizes twice that were more that $500.
And made life-long friendships too.

Anthony P

6G, AKA rhodamine 590 chloride, has an orange-ish appearance when dissolved. Look at the website for Exciton https://exciton.luxottica.com/ to find a great deal of info on dyes, concentrations, and absorption spectrum. They also have techs who will speak with you. I can not speak to 405 pump laser, but please keep us informed.
I have a fully functional, scratch-built, flashlamp dye laser. I just haven't gotten around to making photos and videos to post here yet.

Jim H

Looks like the rhodamine 6G has a poor absorption at 405. Coumarin 152A has a peak right at 405, but it doesn't mention EG as a solvent. Coumarin 152 has a peak at 397, but also doesn't mention EG. Coumarin 6H has a peak at 396 and does mention EG as a solvent. It can be tuned between 476 and 515. Coumarin 510 has a peak at 425, can use EG, and has greater absorbance at 405 than the previous dyes. But the best looks to be Coumarin 30 with a peak at 412, EG for a solvent, and the best absorbance. It can tune between 480 and 555 nm.

wow
nice pics!!
I would 'die' for one of those!! (pun intended)

thanks for the post!!

Jim H

:ROFLMAO: When I get it working, I will be sure to post pics!

CW dye lasers are a lot of hard work to get operational. Do you have an appropriate high-pressure circulator and nozzle? You may or may not be able to use a different dye depending on the installed optics; Ideally you'd want to use R6G and hit it with as much 532nm light as you can.

Also, be prepared to have neon stains on everything.