Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DX100mW Red Module - Mini-Review

Benm

Gazoo said:
I would like to see some data too but the problem with running the diode too cool is condensation. However there is no doubt that as a diode warms up its output drops. So keeping it a little cooler than room temp is a plus and keeps the output stable.

I recently ordered a meter from Sears so I will be able to measure the temperature of my Meredith cube with the TEC. I should be able to provide some more data once I get it. But I will not cool the module to the point of condensation.

Condensation is obviously an issue, though this depends on relative humidity too - so it's possible to go a bit below room temp on a dry day without any special precautions. In any case, temperature vs power measurements would be interesting... only some are provided in the diodes datasheet and for pulsed operation.

That was as received - pot set to minimum.

As you say then Mike a bit of playing with resistors required..... I think I will give it a go soon.

Regards rog8811

Don't mean to hijack thread.. but would it be possible to switch out the diode with maybe a 16x 200mW+ one?

Lorgar

You could but it would still be limited by the drivers full power of about 260ma.
For the price you cant get better than this thing it has some good power

Benm

As mike discribed before that seems to be easily changed, just by adding or replacing a resistor. I have one of these lasers on the way from DX and plan on modding the current range.

Benm said:
As mike discribed before that seems to be easily changed, just by adding or replacing a resistor. I have one of these lasers on the way from DX and plan on modding the current range.

That sounds easy enough :D

I really want one of those lab type lasers :)

Benm

Go ahead and order then ;) It's a fairly cheap laser to buy, and the cooling block plus fitted optics are worth the price alone.

my DX100mW Red Module came today. it works great, but i cant get the focus to work. :( i found that it takes about 6 volts to reach full brightness.
thats using 5 nimh batteries. the laser stays nice and cold, but one of the diodes on the circuit board heats up a decent amount. (its the rather large diode right by the input voltage wires)

more to come later, im tired ;)

I'm probably going to purchase one of their 70mw modules for $17, then power it with a few AAs.

Someone mentioned here in the thread that it has analog modulation: 0.2V is off, 0.3V is on.
I would like to know if this also dims the laser gradually in between this small range.

It sounds more like TTL in stead of analog to me.

Btw, while we are at it, isnt there some circuit to go from analog modulation to TTL ?
As far as I know, analog modulation is just regulating the TTL pulsewidth/duty times no ?

I posted on page 4 that it has TTL input and the 0.10 volt range is about useless for analog - or words to that effect. There appears to be no useful analog range.

Mike

Breaking news !  I finally got my DX 70 mW module today !!!

The 100 mW module outputs 100 mW at 300 mA.   The 70 mW module when turned up, outputs 100 mW at 280 mA.   Go figure  ;D

They appear to be the same unit.

Mike

I ordered a 70mw module as well.

So, it can be easily turned up to 100mw? Any side effects?

Lorgar

Guess some of us got lucky with the free upgrade from the lower cost unit