Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DX True 50

Lorgar

Well I got mine today after 2 weeks of waiting not too bad. Should have read a little more and gotten the dx 30 but hey live and learn I got the DX 50 as an intro to Green for me.
Just a few things about this one as I am sure they vary a great deal.

Nice box heavy foam insert to prevent jarring still would fit in most pockets.
Laser has a nice heavy feel to it lot of mass in the head to balance it out.
Beam is strong melts trash bags at 2 feet and lights spoted matches no focusing or lens.
Mine seems to be off center as the beam comes out to the far side of the openeing.
So not too impresed with the build quality.
Dont have a meter yet so can't see if it is truly 50 mw but as it will light a match in about 2 sec it cant be too far off.
As far is IR output I looked at it from the side with my night vision lens and couldnt even make out the beam.
Since my NV lens came with a IR flashlight to see in total darkness I would say the True 50 does have an IR filter.
If sombody was thinking of getting the True 50 as a first green dont.
Get the True 30 instead.
You can get 2 for less than the 50 and have more fun with them

Things

thanks for the review man! yeah all the DX lasers are noted to have a off centre beam, and that is due to the way it monitors the power output.

Benm

Well, it seems more powerful than the true DX 30 at least... if it lights a match without additional optics. I've been able to light a (brown, untreaded) match with a good DX30, but only with the aid of a lens.

Lorgar

Well I did have to sharpie the match but I only have a few books of white matches so i dont have a lot of choices heh.

bledis

You are lucky with this one. I get main True 50mW from DX and im VERY disapointed. First of all beam isnt going in the center of laser, it has 2 beams and that makes laser lower power, its maybe 20-30mW so this is absolutely fake. Even, it doesnt sting my skin! It cant pop baloons, its impossible to light a black match. I suggest people TO NOT buy bigger than 50mW from DX :-/

Lorgar

Seems that with DX it is hit or miss .
I have A True 30mw that loves to keep changing power output dosnt mater how fresh the batts are or how warm the laser is.
It starts off really bright then drops down to about half the power then shoots right up again.
This is with E2's NiMH or Alkalines even after running it on and off for a few min.

So somtimes you get a good one but most of the time you get a crap one.

bledis

and my laser is almost dead after 3 days of work :mad:... I never buy from DX again. Its waist of money :-/ didnt expected..

my true 5 from this is actualy a good laser, its pretty steady output and only gets lower every once in awhile but if let it sit then its good to go, altho im worried about the button it seems very flimsy but it seems to be getting better after its getting broke in.

Oh and by the way it can pop a baloon in 3 sec without a lense, talk about overpowerd 5mw i guess i got lucky ordering from dx this time.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

I wonder if it is because your divergence is off by a lot. It could be focusing all the energy to pinpoint. Its probably just overpowered though ;D

Ace82

You get what you pay for. I have bought many lasers from DX, in hopes that I would be able to retro fit and match parts for customizing a laser the way I want it. I have bought (2) 30mw, (2) 5mw, (1) 100mw, (1) 150mw, (1) 50mw, and (3) 5mw modules. Anyway, the 30mw lasers suck. Both had power issues, one of which was not electronic, but mechanical. The diode was loose in the housing creating an inconsistent space between the diode and the crystal, not to mention the optics constantly changed so the divergence and focus fluctuated (during the rare seconds the laser actually worked). DX is very good as far as their return policy, but who wants to go through the headache? If you are going with DX, DO NOT expect to be satisfied. You will be spending 1/4 the price, but will be ultimately disappointed. DO NOT buy DX 30mw, or 50mw! I was quite impressed with the power for the money from the 150 and 100mw (without measurement, could tell no difference between the two) however, they advertise burning power, and I know that the 100mw+ lasers DO NOT have IR filters, but the 5-50mw do. I am not sure about the rest. Honestly, I like the 5mw the best. If you buy 100mw+, expect a tremendous beam divergence, totally visible to the eye, even pointed at the night sky can you see the beam expanding. At 15 ft. the dot is the size of a half dollar, and at 3 feet is the size of the tip of a pin. Down the street the dot looks like a huge green blob about the size of a basketball. Their whole sales tactic is "burning" power, which is why I believe they use no IR filters and include the leakage in the overall output power. My (2) 5mw lasers actually do produce slight heat, and burn thin black plastic. My suggestion for DX lasers: either the 5mW or the 200mw. The 5mw has decent beam divergence, and the 200mw has decent power (although I obtained this info from reviews comparing the 150 and the 200- I only own the 150 & 100 but the reviews say there is a big difference between the 150 & 200). The Samsung chip in the 150-200mw is the best feature of these lasers, the diodes and the optics are crap. I almost forgot, one of my friends was using my 150mw for the dog to chase, must have been on continuously for about 10min without break. Guess what, the lens cracked! This is why I bought the 5mw laser modules to replace the optics on it (worked well but needed to be retrofitted because the brass fittings didn't match). In conclusion, I am sick of DX's laser quality, good for gifts and price, but in the end, I want quality.

strange, i've personally inspected 5 DX True30mW lasers and 4 of the 5 were over spec by a significant margin and the only one that was under, only missed the mark by 1mW, my art teacher has a 5mW that is also over spec.

bledis, you do know dealextreme will happily replace lasers that are under spec or broken...

that goes to the rest of you too.

bledis said:
You are lucky with this one. I get main True 50mW from DX and im VERY disapointed. First of all beam isnt going in the center of laser, it has 2 beams and that makes laser lower power, its maybe 20-30mW so this is absolutely fake. Even, it doesnt sting my skin! It cant pop baloons, its impossible to light a black match. I suggest people TO NOT buy bigger than 50mW from DX :-/
same thing here. dang laser mode hopped hours after i used it. so now its really useless because i bought it just for burning