Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DVD RW Laser Powers?

thesk8nmidget said:
buy a nice little set of mini screw drivers with a decent handle on them. if your using the small metal ones with a handle about as thick as the screw you wont be able to get very good leverage.

Im trying my dads "Precision Screwdrivers" sizes from 1mm up to 2.4mm the handles must be about 5mm on the biggest... Whats more ridiculous is there is glue over most of the screws.

thesk8nmidget said:
if the screw if far away from the diode try heating it up to soften the glue.

Ok done it, I can see the two diodes now, plus two mirrors and a dichroic cube by the looks of it.

Edit:
Ok what laser is the red one?

Attachments

• S7301334.JPG
    S7301334.JPG
    389.1 KB · Views: 1,185

mmykle

I can't tell from that pick, can you get two separate shots of the diodes? Usually the one with the bigger heat sink is it.

mmykle said:
I can't tell from that pick, can you get two separate shots of the diodes? Usually the one with the bigger heat sink is it.

Hm that may be the bottom left one then.

Im taking them both out of the plastic here at work today, the main thing thats confused me is that both diodes have the 3 pins, I thought one of them should have more and the one I want has 3.

lamborgini8 said:
[quote author=mmykle link=1219179774/0#19 date=1219299897]I can't tell from that pick, can you get two separate shots of the diodes? Usually the one with the bigger heat sink is it.

Im taking them both out of the plastic here at work today, the main thing thats confused me is that both diodes have the 3 pins, I thought one of them should have more and the one I want has 3.[/quote]

Both will probably have three in this case. In some of the Blu-ray drives, the 'other' diode has more than three pins because it is actually a red laser and an IR laser combined. But since your sled has two diodes, one for red and one for IR, each diode should only have three pins. :)

GooeyGus said:
[quote author=lamborgini8 link=1219179774/20#20 date=1219305870][quote author=mmykle link=1219179774/0#19 date=1219299897]I can't tell from that pick, can you get two separate shots of the diodes? Usually the one with the bigger heat sink is it.

Im taking them both out of the plastic here at work today, the main thing thats confused me is that both diodes have the 3 pins, I thought one of them should have more and the one I want has 3.[/quote]

Both will probably have three in this case. In some of the Blu-ray drives, the 'other' diode has more than three pins because it is actually a red laser and an IR laser combined. But since your sled has two diodes, one for red and one for IR, each diode should only have three pins.  :)[/quote]

Its a hit and miss on which ones which then? I tried giving them a quick power up last night with a multimeter but there wasnt enough power to light either of them and I don't want to add bateries to it until the driver has been sorted.

Come to think of it, will the lavadrive fit on jayrobs heatink for the MDXL?

lamborgini8 said:
[quote author=GooeyGus link=1219179774/20#21 date=1219308021][quote author=lamborgini8 link=1219179774/20#20 date=1219305870][quote author=mmykle link=1219179774/0#19 date=1219299897]I can't tell from that pick, can you get two separate shots of the diodes? Usually the one with the bigger heat sink is it.

Both will probably have three in this case. In some of the Blu-ray drives, the 'other' diode has more than three pins because it is actually a red laser and an IR laser combined. But since your sled has two diodes, one for red and one for IR, each diode should only have three pins.  :)[/quote]

Its a hit and miss on which ones which then? I tried giving them a quick power up last night with a multimeter but there wasnt enough power to light either of them and I don't want to add bateries to it until the driver has been sorted.

Come to think of it, will the lavadrive fit on jayrobs heatink for the MDXL?[/quote]

Take a picture of the diodes and we should be able to tell... maybe... :-/

GooeyGus said:
[quote author=lamborgini8 link=1219179774/20#22 date=1219309177][quote author=GooeyGus link=1219179774/20#21 date=1219308021][quote author=lamborgini8 link=1219179774/20#20 date=1219305870][quote author=mmykle link=1219179774/0#19 date=1219299897]I can't tell from that pick, can you get two separate shots of the diodes? Usually the one with the bigger heat sink is it.

Come to think of it, will the lavadrive fit on jayrobs heatink for the MDXL?[/quote]

Take a picture of the diodes and we should be able to tell... maybe...  :-/[/quote]

Im at work now so no pictures till I get home, which hopfuly when im home they will be out of the plastic housing and out of the heat sinks.

Ok the diodes aren ow out of the sled completly, they just need to be taken out of the heat sinks somehow. I am guessing the diode with the 3 prongs in a tripod layout is the red diode and the one with the 3 prongs next to each other is the IR diode?

How do I work out which prongs I should hook power up to?

I saved all the optics as well, I don't know if they can be used for anything though.

Edit: This is a nightmare to get out of the heat sink. I removed all of the soft crap around it and im down to the metal part, the guide here says to cut through the soft metal... Im using a pointy screwdriver thing to scratch through it and after 10 mins I have goten about 1mm through...

3 prongs in a straight line? They are on a round, metal case, like a cylindrical can, right?

pullbangdead said:
3 prongs in a straight line?  They are on a round, metal case, like a cylindrical can, right?

Here.

The left one is the red one and the one on the right I can only guess is the IR.

Attachments

• S7301343.JPG
    S7301343.JPG
    452.4 KB · Views: 5,271
Some other people will have to chime in on this one, but that might not be the case. The only way to know for sure is to test them, but I seem to recall some people getting drives where the flat-packaged diodes were red and the IR was the classic can package.

pullbangdead said:
Some other people will have to chime in on this one, but that might not be the case.  The only way to know for sure is to test them, but I seem to recall some people getting drives where the flat-packaged diodes were red and the IR was the classic can package.

The front of the red diode is exactly the same as this:
http://www.thesellgrens.com/laserpics/harvestdiy/8.jpg

So I am pretty sure thats the red diode.

Although what exactly im suposed to do with that I am not sure, i thought there is meant to be a little lens or something over the front of that.

artix

lamborgini8 said:
[quote author=pullbangdead link=1219179774/20#28 date=1219343876]Some other people will have to chime in on this one, but that might not be the case.  The only way to know for sure is to test them, but I seem to recall some people getting drives where the flat-packaged diodes were red and the IR was the classic can package.

Although what exactly im suposed to do with that I am not sure, i thought there is meant to be a little lens or something over the front of that.[/quote]

That looks like a long open can! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Artix said:
[quote author=lamborgini8 link=1219179774/20#29 date=1219344107][quote author=pullbangdead link=1219179774/20#28 date=1219343876]Some other people will have to chime in on this one, but that might not be the case.  The only way to know for sure is to test them, but I seem to recall some people getting drives where the flat-packaged diodes were red and the IR was the classic can package.

Although what exactly im suposed to do with that I am not sure, i thought there is meant to be a little lens or something over the front of that.[/quote]

That looks like a long open can! [smiley=thumbsup.gif][/quote]

Wow that was scary...

Used a file to get through the heat sink and get to the diode. Had a scare after that because I used a multimeter to check it still worked and I couldn't get a reading out of it so I had two options. Let my dad take it to work and check it under the electronics microscope thing or add some batteries to it and see if it works.

So thinking it was dead anyway I connected the same batteries I was using in my Viper 75 up to it and RED! BEAUTIFUL RED!

So it is working now :D

I have ordered some aixiz housing, hopefully that will be here some time next week and my dad being an electronics person anyway has looked up the DDL driver and said he has something like that thats at 300mAh which can be turned down.

Only thing I am lost on now is the actual diode itself. On all the guides around here the diode has a tiny little bit of glass right in front of it. Mine looks exactly like this.
Do I need the little bit of glass or is it ok to put it in the aixiz housing like that?