Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DTR's Laser Shop - Laser Diodes & More

Sorry, Jordan. I had a hospital appointment today that took all day. The NDB7675 in the copper module went out today in the mail. I hadn't been online, so I didn't get around to posting much or doing anything laser related. You should have it this week. It is a brand new NDB7675 with no solder or short pins. I did check it before I sent it back to make sure it still worked. It was fine. It measured a bit over 464nm as I didn't run it any harder than 300 mA. It had little of its surface area contacting the module and I didn't want to risk burning it out.

That is a very nice work area you have there too. A lot more space than I have.

Paul let me know you got. Sent it over the weekend but did not hear back. Really was interested in any observations on the diode sourced though the gray market and the projector pull.

Have a lot of organizing still to do but things are coming together. This desk is great. My last work surface was fixed and had me bending over some. This is so much better after long periods. In sitting position I keep just under arm height and stand after sitting for long periods for 15-20.

Here is my soldering setup. Have 10 of these magnetic alligator clips so I can production units to speed up.

Nice Shop/Lab.
Jordan.. I thought your shop would be bigger...;)
Love the computer/screens setup.

Jerry

Hi Jordan,
Yes very impressive set up glad to see it coming together for you. A production area is very important to be comfortable at for long periods.

Rich:)

Hi. Jordan. I got a new email saying a label was created to ship something else to me. Just wondering if this was an error like last time or are you sending something?

Also, what is the focal length of your new lens? I see the diameter is 4.7 mm, but that doesn't tell me anything about where the lens will focus.

Last edited:

DTR

Nice Shop/Lab.
Jordan.. I thought your shop would be bigger...;)
Love the computer/screens setup.

Jerry

Yep it is a tight fit but I also have a small space to fall back into when I feel the walls closing in.:p

Thanks really like the ultra wide screens, So easy to have all the windows up that I need to have quick access to at the same time instead of having them all stacked on top each other.

Hi. Jordan. I got a new email saying a label was created to ship something else to me. Just wondering if this was an error like last time or are you sending something?

Also, what is the focal length of your new lens? I see the diameter is 4.7 mm, but that doesn't tell me anything about where the lens will focus.

Yep sent a sample lens. My LPM is down. Stuck showing a little over 2W so something needs to be fixed. Maybe one of the 9V rails had a bad connection. Anyway will have to figure it out later or just get a new circuit for it.

I am will find out on the focal length and post back.:)

Cool! Thank you, Jordan. I always thought that if you found yourself in the situation of having to work with your Ophir sensor, you might increase the positive and negative rails to get a higher output capability. Maybe this is the time to do that. Your call, of course. I look forward to receiving the lens and also to find out the FL of your new lens.

Just received the two new lenses sent to me by DTR. They are long focal length single element lenses. Likely around 8 mm. I tried one out on my 1080 mW 638nm Cypus II and found it reduced the long line to a single dot. The aperture at the diode side of the lens housing is smaller than other housings, so I will have to do a power test to see if it is mainly because of clipping. It is AR coated, but don't know what wavelengths it covers yet. If the dot is not caused by clipping, it will be a very good lens for these highly divergent diodes. Even if it does clip, it still reduces the horrid ML501P73 line down to a very pleasing dot. Thank you, Jordan for these new lenses.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
That's good news, Paul. I have received a couple of these also (thank you, Jordan), but haven't had a chance to try them out yet.
I was wondering if this is truly a superior lens, yet clips a bit with that smaller aperture, that it might be possible to open up the aperture diameter somewhat and get the best of both worlds?

Well, I bought ten of the brass lens housings sometime ago. I would change the housing as that would be the easiest way to get a larger input aperture. These have a longer FL than even the Sanwu G7s. I noticed the dot on my 638nm laser was larger than it would be by just masking the beam. I think these could improve divergence because of the longer FL. I'm fairly sure these do some clipping though. How much, I will have to test to see.

Well, I bought ten of the brass lens housings sometime ago. I would change the housing as that would be the easiest way to get a larger input aperture. These have a longer FL than even the Sanwu G7s. I noticed the dot on my 638nm laser was larger than it would be by just masking the beam. I think these could improve divergence because of the longer FL. I'm fairly sure these do some clipping though. How much, I will have to test to see.

This is why I had been talking about a longer FL and wider lens to use with a wider module, will need a longer threaded portion for the lens barrel as well, that way it can catch all of the beam at a longer distance from the diode.

The NUBM42 and 49 both have even wider divergence than the 44. if this is the way of things to come we will need to use c-lens following a G2 or a wider lens with a longer FL in a wider module, it will make a wider beam that way but can focus tighter to point for those not wanting to use c-lens correction.

Personally I like the look of a NDB7875 with a 3 element well enough far field, but the 7A75 and 44 make too wide of a spot/bar far field to be aesthetically pleasing, I would much rather see a beam start wide and finish tight than starting tight and finishing wide.

Last edited:
The lens in this housing is recessed, so it is actually farther away from the diode than most single element lenses. But, it does have a distressingly small aperture. I still haven't been able to test the power difference yet, but I will get around to it soon. It is pretty far out of the module when you focus it to infinity. But, it isn't just a thread or two. More like three threads.

DTR

Cool! Thank you, Jordan. I always thought that if you found yourself in the situation of having to work with your Ophir sensor, you might increase the positive and negative rails to get a higher output capability. Maybe this is the time to do that. Your call, of course. I look forward to receiving the lens and also to find out the FL of your new lens.

Yep it was an oversight when I built it originally and planned to change them out when I got a chance. I also have this coherent 210 sensor that has been sitting here.

Here is what I was sent.
EFL :8.0
CA:3.7
SD:5.86
NA:0.28
CT:2.9
ET:8
M:M8×P0.5
DIA:4.7

That's good news, Paul. I have received a couple of these also (thank you, Jordan), but haven't had a chance to try them out yet.
I was wondering if this is truly a superior lens, yet clips a bit with that smaller aperture, that it might be possible to open up the aperture diameter somewhat and get the best of both worlds?

:)

The lens in this housing is recessed, so it is actually farther away from the diode than most single element lenses. But, it does have a distressingly small aperture. I still haven't been able to test the power difference yet, but I will get around to it soon. It is pretty far out of the module when you focus it to infinity. But, it isn't just a thread or two. More like three threads.

Not sure how much more the opening can be enlarged. The lip it sits on can be seen here.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Yes, you're right, not much extra room there for any enlargement. Thanks for the clarification. :)

Oh, I forgot these are smaller than the 6.3 mm diameter lenses we have become accustomed to. I don't see a way to enlarge the aperture now that you have reminded me. Spot on the FL, though. Thanks again, Jordan.