Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DTR Is amazing

reloader45

Hello,

what do mean with "you made my day hell" ?

best regards

Edgar

Giannis_TDM

It is the same with me. But I think, that a day in hell is not positive.

best regards

Edgar
I dont mean a day in hell and (sorry if that is not right please feel free to correct me) I used hell as a connecting word. Its like Maybe even my week.
Cheers,
john

... about 60% of that presentation was about safety and as en exaple of high powered laser eye dmg I used some articles about some boys in Greece wich sadly had significant damage done to their eyes from the common 303s and it came to me as a big surpize that some students actually had some 303s at home and they didnt know this could happen.

I watched a news story video about a lady who bought a laser pointer at some small gas station store, or maybe one of the small grab and go stores you see populating all over the place and handed it to her young son to play with, he promptly pointed it into one eye and almost completely blinded himself in that eye, then did the same thing to the other eye destroying his center of vision.

Regarding the failure, things can happen with laser diodes and drivers, that's why Jordan refunded you, he always stands behind what he sells, I've seen him do so for several buyers over the years who agreed they themselves did something to toast a laser diode or driver, and yet he steps up and refunds. This guy isn't like some of the cheats we see selling laser parts from over seas screwing people left and right too often.

Last edited:

Giannis_TDM

I watched a news story video about a lady who bought a laser pointer at some small gas station store, or maybe one of the small grab and go stores you see populating all over the place and handed it to him to her young son to play with, he promptly pointed it into one and and nearly blinded himself in that eye, then did the same thing to the other eye destroying his center of vision.
Yea that was sadly one of my exp in the presentation.. :(

diachi

First off everyone should cut this kid some slack on the age thing. I'd argue that the majority this forum's founding members were under 18 when they signed up. I was 14 when I joined and this site was incredibly helpful to me as I learned about lasers/electronics. Gianakakis seems to be a creative tinkerer that handles his lasers responsibly and is open to learning. I mean any kid can buy a fully built 1W+ 445nm laser online for $40, yet Gianakakis wants to make a much lower powered (but still obviously dangerous) 488nm build. That alone should say something about his responsibility.

That being said, DTR had no obligation to give a refund for this. It is typically assumed that laser diodes are a non-refundable purchase due to the sensitive nature of them. All of the big science retailers that sell laser diodes are like this, and the same thing even applies to ordering direct from Nichia. For some of the more sensitive laser diodes a tiny bit of static is enough to fry them so there's a good reason seller's don't give refunds for these, even if they did send out duds. DTR is great though so he was nice enough to issue a refund anyway. ;)

Gianakakis I'll just send you a 488nm diode no cost if you want one but it'll likely be a couple weeks before I get it out. I'm about to configure my spectrometer and plan on doing a batch test of these diodes so I can cherry pick the outliers, and I'll have many extras in the middle ground that I won't need. There's no need to overdrive it to 220mA though. :)

Seconded, I would have been 14 when I started out too.

Also, awesome of you to make that offer! (y):cool:

Reactions: CRX
I was 55 when I became interested in lasers here. I guess the 18 years of age to join rule was thrown out? I think it is great they have an interest in this technology, only thought that age rule was due to liability to keep the forum owner from being sued if a minor hurt themselves.

Regarding giving people slack, I've learned to do that for everyone here, and as you might have noticed, do so far more now, not just due to members being young. Very few of us really know one another here. It's hard enough to see into someones soul, so to speak, when you are around them in person, much less through a forum. It is too easy to be an arse when you are not right in front of someone to see a person, that is the draw back of forums, or online relationships. That being said, I didn't really think this guy was being mistreated to begin with, but perhaps that was due to being unaware he is a kid and to use the appropriate gloves.

First off everyone should cut this kid some slack on the age thing. I'd argue that the majority this forum's founding members were under 18 when they signed up. I was 14 when I joined and this site was incredibly helpful to me as I learned about lasers/electronics. Gianakakis seems to be a creative tinkerer that handles his lasers responsibly and is open to learning. I mean any kid can buy a fully built 1W+ 445nm laser online for $40, yet Gianakakis wants to make a much lower powered (but still obviously dangerous) 488nm build. That alone should say something about his responsibility.

That being said, DTR had no obligation to give a refund for this. It is typically assumed that laser diodes are a non-refundable purchase due to the sensitive nature of them. All of the big science retailers that sell laser diodes are like this, and the same thing even applies to ordering direct from Nichia. For some of the more sensitive laser diodes a tiny bit of static is enough to fry them so there's a good reason seller's don't give refunds for these, even if they did send out duds. DTR is great though so he was nice enough to issue a refund anyway. ;)

Gianakakis I'll just send you a 488nm diode no cost if you want one but it'll likely be a couple weeks before I get it out. I'm about to configure my spectrometer and plan on doing a batch test of these diodes so I can cherry pick the outliers, and I'll have many extras in the middle ground that I won't need. There's no need to overdrive it to 220mA though. :)

Styro

Just stumbled upon your videos, any chance you can repair my 3 year old laser? It was a custom build from a dude on this website. However, after the 9000 mah batteries died, I haven’t been able to find suitable replacements since. I’d even like to mod it to work with a 110 outlet. In a perfect world I want to run my generator on a camping trip and plug the sucker in so I am no longer beholden to batteries. Is this doable?

I was almost 50 when I started and I am one of the first members still active!
Hak was also older and he has been here forever also.

Friendly Suggestion: - Gianakakis, Discord was started because of just that. Discord with LPF.

I know some of the members over there and have a few friends who keep asking me to join over there, but comparing LPF to Discord also isn't going to win you points on here either, as some of the members on there, were banned here. I really try to stay out of the politics of the sites, I'm just here for info - I would suggest the same for you.

Also, Jordan (DTR) deals with LOTS of people and many are regularly spending way more than you ever will. But he is great with everybody. And most of us have never had a problem, or if we did, he fixed them and has done so since he started.
PL has a lot of people who spend BIG MONEY on laser projectors and most of them swear by him.

I was close to 60 when I found this place and joined. I had been involved with lasers for a long time preceding that. I got my first HeNe laser for holography in 1980, but I saw my first laser in 1965. It was a ruby laser. I saw my first hologram around 1974 in the physics building at Lamar University where I was going to school at the time. It was called "The Kiss II" and was on display on the first floor for several months. So, my interest in lasers goes way back. There are many members here who have been involved with lasers for many years.

kecked

Lasers where only in labs and required water cooling and three phase power to run when I was 14. There was no internet and we got our toys from selling seed packs.