Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dreamlasers 488nm direct diodes

If you click the link, there's a red 'OBSOLETE' superimposed on the picture of two diodes.

Those may be diodes that have been replaced by a newer, superior technology that makes better diodes. It shouldn't mean that the wavelength, and use of the wavelength are obsolete... right?

If you click the link, there's a red 'OBSOLETE' superimposed on the picture of two diodes.

I see that.
I was assuming that the "obsolete" was referring to the technology, not necessarily that specific product.

But if this particular diode is obsolete, there would no longer be any need to produce them. So a price drop won't be likely.

Longer wavelength blues will be available soon enough, anyway, with research going into green diodes.

Those may be diodes that have been replaced by a newer, superior technology that makes better diodes. It shouldn't mean that the wavelength, and use of the wavelength are obsolete... right?

That's what I meant.

I am looking forward to the day 488nm diodes will be affordable like the 445nm casio ones.
For now, some can experience a cyan beam with argons..

cmak

I am looking forward to the day 488nm diodes will be affordable like the 445nm casio ones.
For now, some can experience a cyan beam with argons..

That's gonna be one hell of a good day for us laser hobbyists...

...and a hell of a bad one for those that just bought a 473nm the day before :p

-Chris

That's gonna be one hell of a good day for us laser hobbyists...

...and a hell of a bad one for those that just bought a 473nm the day before :p

-Chris

I love all of my wavelengths equally :beer:

cmak

I love all of my wavelengths equally :beer:

You and me both :beer:

But I assume that many others don't, and that they would be disappointed upon realizing that they can get a cyan laser of greater power, for less money, the day after they made their purchase. That's assuming they do end up costing less than their 473nm DPSS cousins, of course.

-Chris

Well, the $7200 item advertised actually is a module, like CNI's direct diode laser heads; with heat sinking, driver, and probably TEC. It's not a bare diode for $7200.

cmak

Most likely. But at that price range, you can probably afford to get all the other needed parts even if it was just the bare diode. $7k is a pretty penny, but then again, to some that may be pocket change.

-Chris

vk2fro

when the 488's come out in the same power as the 445's, and the same price, imagine the look on your mates face with the water cooled argon as you fire up your octuple array of 1w 488nm diodes. "heres mine!" :) - insanly bright, and that colour that before was insanely expensive in diode form, or required a power hungry heat breathing argon.

1W in these would sure make the laser show guys happy :)