Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dragon Lasers 589nm 50mw Handheld

If you are coming around my area bring it with you and we can throw it on my new nospin ophir. :yh:

Thanks Ray, one day we will come that way. Gotta see my Dear Old Mum soon!

Bowtieguy and DJNY thanks for the info. Am happy with my 589nm, nice tight beam, no splash but was just a little disappointed with the lower output but not all is as seems as you guys have shown with yours. Not sure what I am gonna do about keeping it cold though THIS IS AUSTRALIA!!!!:wave:

Btw, Adam might be able to help hosting CNI GB as well. Getting us better prices than we would get directly from CNI. He told me the other day.

Maybe he has enough pull at CNI he could help to have them build some stuff we haven't seen in a while.

Just FYI, on this first batch going out, i am going to take a pic of each shipping receipt with the tracking info and email everyone's tracking this way.

Jnhowett
Starlight
ChaosLord
Kaphn8d
Brucemir

All headed to PO right now.
Tracking numbers to follow this evening.

Last edited:
Great news guys, these little jewels are so close to each other that i dont believe it makes a rip of a difference who gets what. They all peaked above 100mw after about 10-15 seconds and held above 90mw for 30 more seconds. I did not pay any attention to the serial numbers when i did these tests, just laid them all out and used completely charged HO IMR 18650's (light green ones). The outputs were 108, 109, 109,111, 112, and 115. I don't think there would be any squabbling over who gets what on these. I suspect a battery swap and you'd get completely different results. This is right in line with my original one. Every one of them performs almost identical.

If you don't already have a high quality 18650 I highky recommend you pick one up from the guy here on the forum that sells them, can't remember his screen name at the monent, but i believe it has "DFW" in it, or has something to do with Dallas. They arewhat i use almost exclusively. I have checked my output on mine with various cells and this one is far superior to the rest of them in terms of output. So, if you've got you own LPM and you meter yours when you get it, keep in mind the conditions. All from a cold start, very first run on a fresh HO battery, measured on a NoSpin Ophir. You should get very similar results. I doubt anyone will come in under 100mW. Some were a little faster getting there, one went there almost immediately. The rest took about 10 seconds. Again, i suspect the battery is the biggest variable here.

First batch hit a home run and I suspect the second batch will do the same. Will be mailing out the first five who paid first tomorrow. Will provide tracking at request. Most should receive them in about two to three days.

Other than a little hiccup on the overseas snail mail, all has been smooth sailing thus far.

I am really happy for you guys. Everyone will be getting a top notch output and beam profile so far. Too bad all of them aren't here at once. I would take a couple cool pictures of all 11 running at once. May do it with the first batch just for grins.

Cheers!
JM

Have you tested with 3400mAh panasonics? if yes, what's the power with those?
If they only work well with those HO batteries I would appreciate a link, couldn't find them on ebay.

Last edited:
I laid them all out and used completely charged HO IMR 18650's (light green ones).

If you don't already have a high quality 18650 I highky recommend you pick one up from the guy here on the forum that sells them, can't remember his screen name at the monent, but i believe it has "DFW" in it, or has something to do with Dallas. They arewhat i use almost exclusively.
JM

Have you tested with 3400mAh panasonics? if yes, what's the power with those?
If they only work well with those HO batteries I would appreciate a link, couldn't find them on ebay.

he mentions "light green ones" says the screen name is DFW and says they are the battery he uses almost exclusively.

I think these are what he's referring to
http://laserpointerforums.com/f67/panasonic-3400mah-18650-cell-now-available-74918.html

My bad, i said IMR. I meant Panasonic. Yes, LarryDFW. These are by far the best cell i have ever used as far as output, charge, constancy, and value. I think they are around $10 each, the best $10 you'll spend for your laser hobby IMHO.

I actually use the second battery he has for sale at his website, the one with 2900mAh. The internal resistance is only 33 compared to the 3400mAh's 55. The model number is NCR18650PD. About 15% less capacity than the other one he sells but gives a better output and consistency on my DPSS hand held lasers.

The ones I have are of the first type (3400 but not high-discharge). Do you know how much difference in output (for this 589nm laser) they have in relation to the 3400 model?

Thanks!

These lasers only draw 2 amps, so simply test your cells under a 2 amp dummy load (R=V/I 3.7/2 = 1.85 Ohms @ 8.4 watts) and see how they fare. Measure the current draw and see if they're not capable of full current discharge. You could arguably use 1.5ohms for a better buffer and more accurately predict performance of a mostly discharged cell, as well as more heavily load a fully charged cell.

The ones I have are of the first type (3400 but not high-discharge). Do you know how much difference in output (for this 589nm laser) they have in relation to the 3400 model?

Thanks!

Just fired up the 589 with both batteries, no noticeable difference in output. Both do very well. The IR difference of around 22mOhms is negligible I believe. I ran it with the 3400 first so it was slightly warmer when i ran with the lower IR batt. Could this make a difference? You bet on this laser. Output has everything to do with temp. Maybe if i ran it with the lower IR batt first i would see a noticeable difference but you are talking only in the order of a few mW. Noticeable only as numbers in an LPM.

BTW, on everyone's shipping you're looking at 2 days, except for the person at the AFB it will be 3 days.

Hey Jeff,
Mine arrived about 12PM. The beam looks great and has a nice dot. This is my second one of these so I knew what to expect. Tomorrow night I will using both 589's in my photography. It will be an intense photo session, as I have some good ideas to put both to good use with other lasers. Thank you again for a Group Buy that could not have run any smoother!!!