Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dragon Lasers 1W Spartan

X FLY

I was thinking about ordering a Spartan 1w laser. I know the order doesn't come with batteries, but i was wondering if it came with safety glasses or do i have to order one of the safety glasses they sell on their website?

It doesn't come with safety goggles or anything else. Just the laser :) No storage case, batteries, not even a warning sticker :p

Fortunately DragonLasers sells the cheapest high quality safety goggles you can find.

Thanks for this thread. I saw some green Tenergy rechargeables at the local store, but they said LiFePo on them like the yellow ones you reviewed.

im in the uk and just wanted 2 know if the high powered blue lasers sutch as the arctic and spartan will still get through customs into the uk if so wich would u reccomend
THANKS!!!

X FLY

im in the uk and just wanted 2 know if the high powered blue lasers sutch as the arctic and spartan will still get through customs into the uk if so wich would u reccomend
THANKS!!!

Plz don't double post especially within 5 minutes.. I don't know about the arctic (and also it would take about 6 months before wickedshit even shipped your laser) but the Spartan will get through quaranteed. It doesn't even have a laser warning sticker and it looks exactly like a maglite.

Hey I was just wondering something, if you look at the video below:

YouTube - Wicked Lasers Arctic Spyder 3 vs. Dragon Lasers Spartan

you'll see that the Spartan Laser clearly out performs the Arctic Laser, how ever my own Arctic laser doesn't even have the burning capacity of the Arctic laser shown in that video because it's lens was refocused, tell me something, did you modify or refocus the lens of YOUR Spartan laser to achieve the effectiveness of the Spartan which was displayed in that video?

ZapU

X FLY

And why the Spartan has an mRad of 3.50+

I have measured my Spartan with the exact same webscript and it has about 2mRad which is good for this diode. Also the arctic has a bigger dot at aperture than the spartan which results in better diverages.

The test you quoted is inaccurate because the measurement 1 is missing. The measurement 1 should be "At 0 meters, the beams diameter is (dot size at aperture) millimeters."

Last edited:

DrSid

Not really. Using single large distance measurement is much more precise. By using large distance, you make size at aperture irrelevant (try entering different aperture sizes into the calculator). So it does not have to me measured. Also much simpler formula can be used: divergence=size/distance.

With this diodes people often make big mistake when measuring divergence at two points. They mix axes. Usually if you have beam wider in horizontal axis, it will be wider in vertical axis at large distance. So if you measure the longer axis at distance, you have the measure the shorter one at aperture, and since it is very thin, there is a lot of room for error. Using large distance and ignoring aperture size makes all this easier.

Hey.. I´m new to this forum ;)

I would like to know if the Arctic or the Spartan is better
I dont see any differences between this lasers (youtube)

I also live in Austria (not australia) and we have a very stupid custom control
I´m not sure if i will get on of these lasers

Thx in advance
Marvin :beer:

Last edited:

ZapU

I have measured my Spartan with the exact same webscript and it has about 2mRad which is good for this diode. Also the arctic has a bigger dot at aperture than the spartan which results in better diverages.

Try measuring at a distance of at least 100 yards/meters and see if you are still getting 2 mRad. I'm certain you wont even be close.

I could be wrong, but doesn't the spartan come with a single element lens? Because I know the Arctic comes factory with a multi element lens. So in terms of up close burning, that would give the edge to the spartan, would it?

ZapU

In post #111 in this thread someone posted a pic of a 400mW Spartan lens. It was single element.
Haven't heard if the 1W is different.

Trevor

I've always wondered if when the diode outputs more, if the fast axis gets faster. After all, the 1W-rated Spartans are confirmed to consistently output 1W or more. This coupled with the different optics may explain the divergence difference.

I've never personally played with 445nm diodes though (and currently lack testing equipment), so I can't be sure. Perhaps someone could take some time out of their busy schedule of arguing uselessly to do some real scientific testing.

-Trevor

ZapU

I've always wondered if when the diode outputs more, if the fast axis gets faster. After all, the 1W-rated Spartans are confirmed to consistently output 1W or more. This coupled with the different optics may explain the divergence difference.

I've never personally played with 445nm diodes though (and currently lack testing equipment), so I can't be sure. Perhaps someone could take some time out of their busy schedule of arguing uselessly to do some real scientific testing.

-Trevor

With several members obtaining 2W+ with the 445 diode, I don't remember seeing any figures on divergence of those beasts. They should be able to prove or disprove your theory. Anyone?

I believe the divergence difference is all in the optics of the two lasers. This would be typical of a single lens:
technote1-PoweredbyGoogleDocs-MozillaFirefox1124201052229PM.jpg

This is what you can do with multiple lens:

expander-1.jpg

Trevor

I'd be interested to see divergence measurements too.

Regarding your images, I've built a beam expander, thanks. I know how they work; all you're doing is insulting my intelligence.

Also, your theory is strange too. You replaced your stock lens with a 405-G-1, no? Measure your divergence. If your theory (that WL's lens acts as a beam expander merely because it is multi-element) is correct, then your single-element 405-G-1 lens will exhibit worse divergence than a stock Arctic.

I need to dig up the photo of the inside of the head of a Spartan to be able to analyze it any further...

-Trevor