Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Don't be the noob that posts quantity over quality.

Guys we are getting off topic a little. This whole thread is suppose to show what to do and not to do. There are people that are on the forum that truly do accept new people. And there are some that do not! It is a matter of preference.

It's ok.

The biggest issue with new people and I my self was guilty of it. It is rehashing things that are posted about every other day or so. New guys want to do it the easy way instead of doing research. There are two search area on LPF and if they did research then there would not be as many issues with new guys or gal imho

It happens.

If a question is dumb I just ignore it. I think that is the best way to handle it. Nothing speaks louder than the silence of being ignored.

Another thing is reading the stickies should be mandatory. They should be be pulled out of every sub area put into a category by them selves and then put into each section it pertains to. You have to read them before a account is given.. This is my opinion is all.

And who's going to enforce that? You? Chances are you would run yourself ragged trying to police it. Making things mandatory doesn't encourage anything but skimming through things, not reading. How can you police that?

Best, IMHO, to let the people who are interested read. The others, those who won't bother to try, or who won't listen, should simply be disregarded. They will figure it out and adjust their approach, or if not, chances are they will go away. Such threads, and such "failed" members' accounts can be safely deleted.

Another thing is people especially the 12 -18 crowd that love lasers cuz they are cool some times do not have the tact that comes with age. This is not a dig on them but just a opinion! They need to realize that posting in every thread makes them not very well liked. That in it self is a issue. Then we get trolls, spammers, people that like to cause wakes just for a laugh.

That's not an opinion, it's a fact. Some younger people do indeed lack tact, and a lot of them will learn it eventually. And of course, some younger people have a great deal of tact, more so than some older folks. Everyone is different in their own way.

We just need to do better on getting the people that want to be here on lpf as a functioning member no matter the age. Polite hints on behavior some times works wonders. Others we need a sledge hammer and that does not always work. Every thing I am saying is of my own opinion and not just popular opinion. We the older generation need to guide the younger generation so that when they get to our age that they can show the younger generation the same!

It is not possible to "make someone be a functional member." We can advise them, try to reach out and make sure they learn good safety sense and whatnot early on. We can make ourselves available as resources and role models. But in the end, there is nothing we can say, nothing we can do, that will "make" a member "functional." That is a decision they must reach, and make, on their own, and whether they do or do not is entirely up to them.

Lastly, you don't need to justify every single opinion as your "own opinion". We know that it's your opinion, and it's fine. You're allowed to have your own. At most, a single statement at the end of your post to the effect that you are stating opinions is enough. In any case, you didn't post anything out of line; you were not being mean. Accordingly, there is no good reason for anyone to lash out at you or be offended for civilly speaking your mind.

That you apparently worry otherwise can, in itself, be seen as an indication that judgments here are perhaps a bit too quickly, or too harshly, made. Regardless, the unwarranted judgment of someone else is the problem of that respective other; it is not your problem unless you choose to make it such a problem. Other than your normal, routine self-evaluation, you shouldn't.

Last edited:

Teej

And if that applies to me, it's my problem, not yours.

This is not a party, and there is a big difference between sitting quietly and puking on the host. Don't be silly.

I do attempt to be accepted. I attempt to be accepted by posting what interests me on forums that cater to such topics, and by not intentionally pissing other people off.

Sometimes I prefer to just lurk and be quiet. Sometimes I prefer that people not notice me. Sometimes I do like to be engaged. Other times, I would rather watch from a distance. I'm not afraid of being forgotten because I know that I won't be. When I want the people to look at me, they will.

If it were a party, I wouldn't show pictures of my lasers. I'd show the lasers themselves. Sensibly, of course, but I would.

But focus, now. This a laser enthusiast forum, not a college party. They are not the same, and do not follow the same rules. Surely that makes sense, doesn't it?

Maybe he does have Asperger's. Would that offend you?

If I don't see why it matters, then maybe it just doesn't matter to me. Am I making trouble for you, by being quiet and commenting on what interests me?

And that, right there, is the problem that I have with most of the "post a welcome thread!" posts. I find the consistently sanctimonious, patronizing, and condescending attitude to be rather annoying, but since those posts don't apply to me I just disregard them.

I'm a shy person. I KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE. Most shy people do. Again, it's my problem to work on, not yours. If you "just want what's best" for me, that's great, but your attitude on this subject is not constructive.

BEING AN INTROVERT IS NOT THE SAME THING AS BEING MEAN. Not even close! What a ridiculous, insulting thing to say. I try very hard to be nice to people and not be mean, although posts like this do try my patience. We (introverts) don't always have it in us to interact with people. Our quiet time is required, it is not an option. There is nothing to be done about it. There is nothing that needs to be done. Introverts are not broken, we are simply introverts, and it's not for you to decide what is best for us.

Btw, my "quiet time" often consists of sitting at my favorite bar, at a loud (and crowded) live music show, eating chips at salsa, and reading a book right there at the bar. It works for me. I don't care if people give me weird looks, and I don't care if they think I'm being unsociable. I'm having fun; if other people aren't then I'm sorry, but it's NOT my problem!

If I post a set of laser pictures and you automatically think that I'm an axe murderer and/or scammer, then that is your problem. Please don't make it mine.

Again, not my problem. I'll to my best to be polite to people, regardless. In any case, I haven't had any significant issues with anyone here, and I've gotten lots of compliments on my pictures and some of my other ideas. I do good business, and when I agree to send something, or pay for something, I do it promptly, as a responsible person should. Apparently I'm doing something right, and that's good, isn't it?

I get the impression that you're not an introvert, and if that's the case, it's fine. Pushing and prodding me isn't. You come across as pushy and predatory. It doesn't make me want to interact with you, it makes me want to avoid you. The best thing is to just worry about you, and let me worry about me; if I have something to say, I will. Simple as that.

Very true.

I was speaking generally, though, not about you per se.

Whether the introvert cares about how he is perceived is yet another issue...and, again, not referring to you unless you think it fits.

I never said the introvert did anything morally wrong, or, was not within their rights to interact, or not, as they wanted to. I was just pointing out why they are sometimes perceived as they are...not judging them.

If it came across as judgmental, or as saying anything was wrong with your pictures, etc, I apologize for that. It wasn't the intent.

It was an attempt to be helpful in the context of your post.

:friend:

That's cool, and if I got a bit defensive I apologize for that too. It's a bit too easy to become accustomed to people not understanding and that's where I sometimes have trouble with not stepping over the line. No harm done.

Very true.

I was speaking generally, though, not about you per se.

Whether the introvert cares about how he is perceived is yet another issue...and, again, not referring to you unless you think it fits.

I never said the introvert did anything morally wrong, or, was not within their rights to interact, or not, as they wanted to. I was just pointing out why they are sometimes perceived as they are...not judging them.

If it came across as judgmental, or as saying anything was wrong with your pictures, etc, I apologize for that. It wasn't the intent.

It was an attempt to be helpful in the context of your post.

:friend:

Teej

That's cool, and if I got a bit defensive I apologize for that too. It's a bit too easy to become accustomed to people not understanding and that's where I sometimes have trouble with not stepping over the line. No harm done.

:gh:

:wave:

Pman

Well I like both Marco and Vortish. They are my friends.
At least that's my opinion lol.

Be nicer than you have to be and it's better not to say anything if you really don't need to in those threads or posts that push your buttons. I'm certainly not perfect and have said some things that I regret. Give without expecting anything in return and do it often. It will make you a better person and not so self centered.

-Pete

In an earlier post on this thread by Pman, he talks about "pushing someone's buttons", this whole subject pushes my buttons, so here is my rant:

I have been a forum member since August 2012 and officially introduced myself a month or two after I joined the forum. At the present I have 636 posts (now 637). I only post when I can add something constructive to a thread or to start one if I have a reason to. If I do not know what I am talking about I do not make stupid posts pretending I do, or post two or three word posts to up my post count. I have seen some threads where some members will make up to 5 posts or more in the same thread totaling maybe 20 actual words total adding nothing constuctive. Possibly the only thing relevant to lasers I think I know more than most is how to photograph them, or the companies I have personal experience buying from them. I see posts by members knocking certain laser companies which is fine if you actually own and have used lasers by that company. Many posts I see on this subject the person posting does not even have a laser (or equipment, optics, etc) from that company. Basiclally all they are is a parrot, mimicking what other people have posted and passing it off as if they have first hand knowledge about them. REALLY! If I have a pertinent question I wil ask it. It really pisses me off when I see newer members with OUTRAGEOUS post counts that add nothing constructive. I would think there are many members in the past year or two that their main contribution to the forum is welcoming new members? REALLY,?I know many newer members have more total posts in the Welcome section than I have total posts in the past year or two. Gee, if I post, "Welcome to the forum" a few hundred times I could be a veteran too. I could accomplish this in a month or so. I know what I have contributed to the forum, and most of what I post is very time consuming, and as a post count, counts the same as some member saying "Welcome to the forum". I have posted much less in the past 6 months or so as I see this trend just getting worse and worse. Have a nice evening.

Last edited:
In an earlier post on this thread by Pman, he talks about "pushing someone's buttons", this whole subject pushes my buttons, so here is my rant:

I have been a forum member since August 2012 and officially introduced myself a month or two after I joined the forum. At the present I have 636 posts (now 637). I only post when I can add something constructive to a thread or to start one if I have a reason to. If I do not know what I am talking about I do not make stupid posts pretending I do, or post two or three word posts to up my post count. I have seen some threads where some members will make up to 5 posts or more in the same thread totaling maybe 20 actual words total adding nothing constuctive. Possibly the only thing relevant to lasers I think I know more than most is how to photograph them, or the companies I have personal experience buying from them. I see posts by members knocking certain laser companies which is fine if you actually own and have used lasers by that company. Many posts I see on this subject the person posting does not even have a laser (or equipment, optics, etc) from that company. Basiclally all they are is a parrot, mimicking what other people have posted and passing it off as if they have first hand knowledge about them. REALLY! If I have a pertinent question I wil ask it. It really pisses me off when I see newer members with OUTRAGEOUS post counts that add nothing constructive. I would think there are many members in the past year or two that their main contribution to the forum is welcoming new members? REALLY,?I know many newer members have more total posts in the Welcome section than I have total posts in the past year or two. Gee, if I post, "Welcome to the forum" a few hundred times I could be a veteran too. I could accomplish this in a month or so. I know what I have contributed to the forum, and most of what I post is very time consuming, and as a post count, counts the same as some member saying "Welcome to the forum". I have posted much less in the past 6 months or so as I see this trend just getting worse and worse. Have a nice evening.

Brucemir:

I think your right on the money. Your opinion Is in a way kind of what I been saying. every one is entitled to say what they want. but i agree with you a hundred percent

USAbro

It really pisses me off when I see newer members with OUTRAGEOUS post counts that add nothing constructive.

I think this may have my name written all over it. I've been deleting small posts I've made so it doesn't look like I'm trying to build post count. Even this post is going down soon.

And even in a couple years, far after I've reached 1000 posts, I still won't care to be in the "club."

Last edited:
I would think there are many members in the past year or two that their main contribution to the forum is welcoming new members? REALLY,?I know many newer members have more total posts in the Welcome section than I have total posts in the past year or two. Gee, if I post, "Welcome to the forum" a few hundred times I could be a veteran too. I could accomplish this in a month or so. I know what I have contributed to the forum, and most of what I post is very time consuming, and as a post count, counts the same as some member saying "Welcome to the forum". I have posted much less in the past 6 months or so as I see this trend just getting worse and worse. Have a nice evening.

I see your point Bruce but also want to interject something so that people with good intentions don't think they are doing anything wrong.
I think it is very important for new members to be given a welcome. I try to pop in there and greet new people that have taken the time to write an introduction. Greenlander is also really kind about welcoming new folks. Its important. I don't like seeing 0 replies when somebody has introduced themselves to a new community. It bums me out and can give new members the wrong idea about LPF or make them feel they are not welcome or intruding.
Often times the reply's in the welcome area are short because the intro was short and the OP didn't give much information to engage with. But still its good to just say hello and welcome aboard. Sometimes I will ask the person some questions about themselves because I understand that putting yourself out there is very hard for certain personalities. This is something people don't think about, that being social isn't easy for everyone.

But yeah I agree if a person is intentionally just saying hi just to rack up post numbers that's pretty sad. Its just a forum and sometimes people put too much importance on rep points or post numbers. But some people are just genuinely saying a brief hello and that should be encouraged to keep the vibe open and friendly to new comers.

Anyway just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I see your point Bruce but also want to interject something so that people with good intentions don't think they are doing anything wrong.
I think it is very important for new members to be given a welcome. I try to pop in there and greet new people that have taken the time to write an introduction. Greenlander is also really kind about welcoming new folks. Its important. I don't like seeing 0 replies when somebody has introduced themselves to a new community. It bums me out and can give new members the wrong idea about LPF or make them feel they are not welcome or intruding.
Often times the reply's in the welcome area are short because the intro was short and the OP didn't give much information to engage with. But still its good to just say hello and welcome aboard. Sometimes I will ask the person some questions about themselves because I understand that putting yourself out there is very hard for certain personalities. This is something people don't think about, that being social isn't easy for everyone.

But yeah I agree if a person is intentionally just saying hi just to rack up post numbers that's pretty sad. Its just a forum and sometimes people put too much importance on rep points or post numbers. But some people are just genuinely saying a brief hello and that should be encouraged to keep the vibe open and friendly to new comers.

Anyway just my 2 cents.

Thanks for mentioning me :angel:

I welcome people because it's just the right thing to do and makes them feel welcomed into this hobby and can help them meet new people and ask questions if they need to. It also bums me out when someone brand new comes in and says hello only to receive 0 replies and be "ignored". Welcoming someone dosen't take long and it's nice to have people appreciate you :)

-Alex

Small talk is important. Getting responses to welcome posts helps to make the forum seem friendly. Getting a response to a great post is also important.

When I see the great images from Bruce I feel I have to respond to such great work - but really I'm adding nothing, it's not much better than a "me too" or "welcome!" post. How awful would it be if Bruce posted great stuff and nobody replied!

I think the root of this issue is people think post count and rep count mean something - well they don't. Look at the 'LPF's Religion' thread - this is a non-laser thread that is responsible for large shifts in rep count; both + and - (and sometimes to the same user!)

You have to understand though that not everyone wants to join a community when they search forums for a personal project or information. I see both sides though and can understand each of them.

I think the root of this issue is people think post count and rep count mean something - well they don't.
hahahaha if that we're only true it would help.

Look at the 'LPF's Religion' thread - this is a non-laser thread that is responsible for large shifts in rep count; both + and - (and sometimes to the same user!)
Yep this forum is going down hill fast. The past year or two has taken on lots of new members who have changed the forum and not for the better.

Heck just look through this thread right here and you'll see all the advice is given by "noobs"!

Last edited:
hahahaha if that we're only true it would help.

Yep this forum is going down hill fast. The past year or two has taken on lots of new members who have changed the forum and not for the better.

Heck just look through this thread right here and you'll see all the advice is given by "noobs"!

That's a shame you feel the "noobs" are ruining your forum. In other forums I have been a long time member at I sometimes feel the same way you have expressed so I try to see the value in a persons words more by the content and knowledge rather than just date joined or rep points. So in these cases when I get frustrated I try to remember that if someone has something helpful to offer in a discussion what relevance does their time on a forum really have?

Last edited:
I been on the forum for a just shy of a year! So if that still makes me a noob so be it. this was put here not to start a feud! Of who has been here longer or why some one thinks that one thing is better or another! This was a thread to enlighten vs just bashing new people. If a community does not take in new blood then after a while that community will wither and die. This community has some of the biggest and brightest people within the laserist hobby. There are also people on this forum that really want to help educate and teach every one else. There are people in this community that really help others and that generosity is really amazing to me. I am sorry if this thread has rattled some nerves and cause a issue. Arg would you please close this thread as it does not have any relevance any more!