Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DONE *** Feb. 9, 2008  NEW BluRay GB... *** D

Skram0

Re: DONE *** Feb. 9, 2008  NEW BluRay GB... *

I've opened up 4 of these sleds, and so far I've found thresholds @ 21, 22, 28, & 42. The 42 runs @ 5.2 volts and gets fairly hot fast. Not sure if this would have been a good working PS3 sled or not. Seems this heat would eventually destroy the diode.

The 28 didn't want to light at all at first. No LED faint light or anything. It was drawing the mA, but had no voltage drop across it. So I slowly increased the mA until it was @ 38 then BAM, it lit. I backed down the mA and found its threshold at 28 and it works fine now and runs around 4.5 volts. I think the 21 has a voltage around 4.1 or so, not too sure though as I didn't log that reading.

Any ideas on the 42?

Skram0 - every single stinkin diode out there is different ! I have no idea where the problem lies - perhaps the issue is because these sleds we get are "factory seconds" that didn't pass the high Q/A standards of Sony ? PURE CONJECTURE - good lord, I don't want to start a war with folks thinking I am hammering the BR's cause I don't sell them or something ! LOL ! Even out of the diodes I used to sell, the Sony SLD1236VL - One out of the very first tray produced, and is still producing 267+mw with a Dorcy Junior....and one from the last tray I sold of those is only putting out 180mw in a Dorcy Junior...(yeah...ONLY, right ? LOL !!) I think my shot in the dark could be pretty close to the truth - these are all factory seconds (by all I mean all "single" diodes for sale that weren't self harvested) and as such will behave oddly. I know that really doesn't help out much - but at least it gives you something to think about, right ?

Standard process variations. When trying to put atoms in specific locations, there will always be variations. Each one will be different because it's impossible to make them identical. They're all above a minimum, so they're fine by the standards, but they will all vary.

Re: DONE *** Feb. 9, 2008  NEW BluRay GB... *** D

IgorT said:
Oh, and BTW, the red in these diodes is not really that bad..

I tried it when i zombified the BlueRay end, and it was very nice. It would definatelly be good for a pointer. I didn't have a meter back then tho, so i don't know how much it is. And i think one of them died at 70 or 80mA. If i would have to guess, i would say 15-20mW.

So, would it be ok to merge the 2 lasers (blue-ray and the red) together to make another color or would it just be a waste of time because of certain factors like.....

Bluefusion drivers will not support the 2 of them,
The red would overpower the blue-ray making the beam red,
The lense cannot focus the 2 lasers properly because of the different wavelength,
It would look silly  :D,
or all of the above.

All the above, plus the added heat from firing both diodes at once :)

woop

i really hope customs don't look closely at my order.
I am in Australia and because of stupid people pointing lasers at planes (WHY would you do that???) its been ruined for everyone else. I don't think they have been banned yet though. edit: high powered lasers have been officially banned in New South Wales

how are the packages labelled? please don't say laser

My order of 5 mounted blu-ray modules did arrive in my mailbox according to the USPS. However, someone unlocked that box and stole the package.
Such a waste, since the bonehead thief probably had no idea what they were anyway.
Just wanted to share my experience with y'all. With all the preparations and negotiations, it was the last 100 feet to my door that was too far!

If anyone finds blu-ray modules on Ebay originating from Santa Clarita, California, it's a good possibility they are mine.

IgorT

Oh man, that's bad..

So you were tracking the package to find this info? If you were tracking it, it had to be registered, meaning someone had to sign for it, or not?

I wouldn't be surprised, if the guy simply threw them away after discovering he had no idea what they are... :(

Got my stuff today! :D

Thanks Daedal! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

UK buyers! look out for the postman....he came to my house today ;)

Thanks DDL

Regards rog8811

What about US buyers? Is today going to be a happy day for us too?

I got mine last week (I live in New York) thanks DDL. Built the first one into a small radio shack project box with the DDL driver and battery. It's working very well ;D. I'll have to check again to see what current it's lasing at, I posted it but never wrote it down.

IgorT

Hmm, in that case, i guess mine are at the customs again.. :)

maro

I got mine today (I live in Japan). :)

Thanks DDL. :)

IgorT

Oh, you guys probably didn't have "special" orders, right?

Damn, that means another week for me... Oh well, to busy right now anyway...

woop

w00t my sled came today!!
AND i managed NOT to screw it up yet. its in a module running 30.5ma @ 4.28V, threshold was around 30ma i am sorta scared to push it much higher than that.
the optics in the sled are pretty cool, there is a servo mounted lens... useful
now back to shining at fluorescent stuff
Thanks Daedal