Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does my LM317 driver need a test load?

byerlyfactor

Hi all,
Inspired by styropyro I am building a red laser pointer. For the driver circuit, I plan on using an LM317 with a few filter capacitors and a reverse protection diode. According to an online calculator, I need a 1.6 ohm resistor to drive my diode at 800ma. Do I need a test load to set the current? Thanks in advance for your help.

Giannis_TDM

Hi all,
Inspired by styropyro I am building a red laser pointer. For the driver circuit, I plan on using an LM317 with a few filter capacitors and a reverse protection diode. According to an online calculator, I need a 1.6 ohm resistor to drive my diode at 800ma. Do I need a test load to set the current? Thanks in advance for your help.
Since you are not using anything complicated you don't really need a load just check your wiring and upload a pick to LPF so we can also double-check for you, Although you do very much need a heatsink. Also what laser diode are you driving at 800mA??!

byerlyfactor

Since you are not using anything complicated you don't really need a load just check your wiring and upload a pick to LPF so we can also double-check for you, Although you do very much need a heatsink. Also what laser diode are you driving at 800mA??!
Thanks for the reply. That is good to know about the heat sink. I’m using a half watt 638nm eBay diode.
ebay. com/itm/174116499606
The datasheet calls for a max of 800ma but I may use a larger resistor at first since the recommended current is 650ma.

Your 1.6ohm is already acting as current-sense. Use that. Ohm's law.

Test loads are typically for verifying an unverified setup. LM317 in CC is about as opposite from unverified as you can get.

On the other hand... One other use is to verify you wired things properly.
On the third hand... but this circuit is so simple I don't see how you can fuck it up.
On the third leg... yet I've seen many people absolutely fuck up a 2-component driver before, so I guess it's up to you.

byerlyfactor

You are going to need a module and a lens in addition to a heatsink unless all you want to do is light up the bare diode for a second or two--see

You also need laser goggles/glasses to protect your eyes
Of course, I bought some goggles from survival laser. And a 20mm module from DTR which doubles as a heatsink. And for the other stuff I have most of it ordered but for some I have to wait for shipping from China. So I will post a build thread when I have everything.

Last edited:

byerlyfactor

Your 1.6ohm is already acting as current-sense. Use that. Ohm's law.

Test loads are typically for verifying an unverified setup. LM317 in CC is about as opposite from unverified as you can get.

On the other hand... One other use is to verify you wired things properly.
On the third hand... but this circuit is so simple I don't see how you can fuck it up.
On the third leg... yet I've seen many people absolutely fuck up a 2-component driver before, so I guess it's up to you.
Thanks. I'm not new to circuits so I think I'll do fine lol. I'll just measure the current across the resistor before I hook up my diode.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks. I'm not new to circuits so I think I'll do fine lol. I'll just measure the current across the resistor before I hook up my diode.
Ummmmmm........you don't measure current across a resistor. That would be one way to fuck up a 2 component driver.

You can use caculator
I(A) = 1.25/R(ohm)
You need know exactly how many max current of your diode can run then use that form caculator without not need testload

Inspired by Styro! I'm miffed at that guy for making such dangerous lasers and plastering it all over YouTube scaring the public what laser hobbyists can legally do, that rat faced guy is going to get our hobby outlawed, wait until I make a bigger badder more dangerous one for my YT channel!

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
You should see his discord. It's a total worship fest.

Giannis_TDM

You should see his discord. It's a total worship fest.
Are you saying that because you got banned for swearing at members in a voice chat after you rejoined because you were banned before that but got unbanned as a second chance?

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Are you saying that because you got banned for swearing at members in a voice chat after you rejoined because you were banned before that but got unbanned as a second chance?
As I said before kid that voice chat never happened but no that's not why I said that. I said that because it's a total worship fest. Perhaps you're the one upset because you're a mod there or maybe you just want to start an argument which I have no interest in but go ahead and keep trying.

Giannis_TDM

As I said before kid that voice chat never happened but no that's not why I said that. I said that because it's a total worship fest. Perhaps you're the one upset because you're a mod there or maybe you just want to start an argument which I have no interest in but go ahead and keep trying.
You can say all you want but our logs say otherwise, And no being a mod there doesn't affect any decision of mine. It just makes me more unbiased because I have access to all logged actions. And no, Not looking to start an argument. Just stated a fact. Continue your rant about that discord being a worship fest as normal.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
You literally are looking for an argument because you saw something you didn't like on the internet. There is no way to "log" a voice chat unless you record it and since it never happened there is no audio recording so go back to the little hole you live in. Don't you have drivers to work on?