Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

does CNI no longer makes laser pointers?

cheeseisme

Hello, everyone.
I was trying to see what cni pricing is for their laser pointer. (i was trying to get a 589 NM.) My question is does cni no longer make laser pointer or are they just saying that because they dont ship to usa? If any one knows thank thank you.

Attachments

• no laser.PNG
    no laser.PNG
    2.9 KB · Views: 12

Snecho

I've never heard CNI ever selling built handhelds, only modules and maybe lab lasers.

Encap

On Sept. 30th, 2015 CNI officially announced that laser pointer and portable laser series products for SLA purpose would be no longer exported to the U.S. "from Oct 1st, 2015. The incoming SLA orders from American customers will be rejected. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused!"
SInce 2019 CNI no longer shows any pointers or portables on their web site and Dragon Lasers, China a CNI reseller no longer sells them so...
Would assume they no longer make them or no longer accept new orders if that is what CNI says but they will make and sell a 589nm module. Really, portables and pointers were a very minor/insignificant part of their business. CNI's real business being lab lasers and all of their other products. Piointers and portables became more trouble than they were worth especially with most all Countries making anything over 5mW amd some Countries 1mW, illegal to import or sell as items of commerce.

Perhaps they will still make low power models like the GLP for old long established professional market Distributors/resellers like Laserglow Canada but most hobbist resellers who offered them now show them as "sold out" or "not in stock"
Either which way, you can you can still get a 2mW or 5mW CNI GLP pen style 589nm form Laserglow Canada see: https://www.laserglow.com/product/rigel-hv-yellow-laser-pointer

PS: CNI did make/build and offer a nice range of models and outputs in portable/handheld lasers---here is a link to the old data sheet for them: http://www.cnilaser.com/pointer_portable_laser.htm

CNI is the largest maker of lasers and other laser realated professional products, custom and standard in China.
" Founded in 1996, CNI is the leading manufacturer of lasers, spectrometers, power meters and optical systems in China. Every year, about 20000 pcs CNI products are delivered to more than 8000 customers around the world. " ~ from CNI web site
See their wide range of standard products offered here: http://www.cnilaser.com/products.htm
They have 17 International Distributors see: http://www.cnilaser.com/Contact.htm

Last edited:

ixfd64

I realize this is an old thread but have been wondering about this too. It does look like CNI has stopped making handheld lasers (even Class IIIa laser pointers) altogether because they no longer appear in the catalog as of early 2020. Even resellers like Optotronics and Dragon Lasers have been out of stock for a long time. And if CNI had only stopped shipping them to the United States, then it should still be possible to get one via a freight forwarder or a group buy organized by someone who lives in another country. However, I haven't heard of anyone getting a laser from them using either method. All this suggests that CNI's handheld lasers have been completely discontinued. It could be the end of an era. :-(

In any case, I've reached out to CNI to confirm.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Complete handhelds have been replaced with laser modules. The modules are the same components that can be put into a handheld. But laws and regulations are now making selling handhelds not a wise or profitable business.

ixfd64

I just got an email back from CNI — they said they're no longer shipping portable lasers to any customers. End of an era indeed. :-(

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
That really sucks, but I completely understand from their point why. Definitely sad for those like myself who have been in this hobby forever and got started in it with a CNI black and gold 5mW 532nm pen.

If anyone does a Group Buy for any of the CNI modules I am definitely interested though. As CurtisOliver said, they still sell the exact same modules that were used in the pens. I'd certainly be in for one of the 589nms for sure after that last GB fell through.

If anyone does a Group Buy for any of the CNI modules I am definitely interested though. As CurtisOliver said, they still sell the exact same modules that were used in the pens. I'd certainly be in for one of the 589nms for sure after that last GB fell through.
It might be worth reaching out to Laserglow or another distributor (depending on your location) to place an order through them. Given the very high import tax, shipping, etc., (not to mention lower overall interest, so lower quantity discounts) ordering direct from CNI is more costly now than it was in the good ol' days. Although the price per unit from Laserglow is higher, it includes QC and import as well as customer service, which is a big plus. CNI's customer service is good but I sometimes have difficulty communicating effectively.