Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does anyone have mW readings for the LG 8x Blu-ray BH08ls20?

Wondering if anyone has gotten laser meter readings for the LG 8x writer BH08ls20. Because I would much rather drive to best buy and pick one up than wait a week to receive a BDR-203 if they are the same power.

-Paul

daguin

I don't think that anyone with one running has an LPM yet. Arenared should get his first. In addition we should have some more info up on these in a couple of weeks. (thanks to IgorT)

Peace,
dave

Wait I'm gettin lost with the codenames, is this the one Buffalo rebrands as a 10x Daguin?

daguin

I don't think so. Of course we cannot get data sheets on the diodes, but the specs for the drives are different.

If it is the same diode in the 10X Buffalo, the sled optics would have to be different. No real way to tell that unless someone in the industry posts a diagram or somebody buys one and does a post mortem on it.

Also, the LG 8X was already available when the 10X Buffalo came out. The Buffalo units have always been offered before the LG units in the past.

Maybe LG uses the Buffalo brand name to protect the LG brand from embarrassment ;)

Peace,
dave

so cool. this is the diode i picked up as well. best buy has them for $199 if you want it quickly. got mine running at 335mA

why not stick with the BDR(203, the real one)? I just assembled my first BDR-203 after having 3 BDR-S03 die in a row, but this 203 worked without a hitch, right not it's at 315 on a rkcstr untill i can get some flex drives in (the bdr belongs to unreal_jman and not me)

this thing doesn't put out much heat though, i can prob feel some warmth after about 20 seconds of run time @ 315mA using only a dorcy jr. heatsink....and it burns things with no problem while focused to "infinity".

so unless this LG is lots cheaper than i'd stick with the bdr-203

IgorT

I don't think that anyone with one running has an LPM yet. Arenared should get his first. In addition we should have some more info up on these in a couple of weeks. (thanks to IgorT)

Peace,
dave

Dave,

This LG 8x diode i have here from you is STABBING me in the eye!

I had to put it in a drawer so i wouldn't have to look at it, it's too tempting to just hook it up to the Diode Analyzer and plot it! :undecided:

Problem is, if i do that, i'll be only seconds away from turning it into a laser!

And if i do that BEFORE i compare it to all the others, then it's automaticaly not suitable for a torture candidate (if it's efficiency was low) or anyone's laser (if i play with it too much)..

I'm trying to resist, while waiting for the others, but i don't know how much longer i can take it! There is an 8x diode in my drawer and i don't have a single 8x laser!!!!! :yabbem:

daguin

Dave,
This LG 8x diode i have here from you is STABBING me in the eye!
I had to put it in a drawer so i wouldn't have to look at it, it's too tempting to just hook it up to the Diode Analyzer and plot it! :undecided:
Problem is, if i do that, i'll be only seconds away from turning it into a laser!
And if i do that BEFORE i compare it to all the others, then it's automaticaly not suitable for a torture candidate (if it's efficiency was low) or anyone's laser (if i play with it too much)..
I'm trying to resist, while waiting for the others, but i don't know how much longer i can take it! There is an 8x diode in my drawer and i don't have a single 8x laser!!!!! :yabbem:

Breathe through your nose IgorT (and then go visit your girlfriend) ;)

Two more will be there very shortly. Another 10 are on the way. I should have another couple of them by this week sometime. Do you want me to send them along with the GB diodes as well?

How much testing time have you allocated?

Peace,
dave

IgorT

Breathe through your nose IgorT (and then go visit your girlfriend) ;)

Between my real work and sleep, there is only time for one more thing...
1. Lasers
2. Girlfriend

Unless of course you chose not to sleep! :angel:

How much testing time have you allocated?

As much as it will take! I have a total of 13 LG 8x's to PIV plot in hi-res, and then two to kill on the cycler.. Luckily the cycler is completelly automated...

Only thing is, i think i learned a new thing about 8x diode degradation from HemlockMike in his post HERE - CLICK...

I have some theories about it, which i mentioned partially there, but it would seem that 8x's DEVELOPE kinks as they degrade!

What this means is, during the MURDER experiment, with diodes on the cycler circuit, i will not only have to measure the power every so often, i will also have to do a complete re-plot of the diode a few times before it dies, to see if any kinks are suddenly developing as it degrades!

What i already know is that their slope efficiency supposedly remains the same. It's the threshold current that is supposed to climb, as they degrade, hence the lower power at the same current!

I also know that kinks can move in position (altho probably from the same reason - Ith climbing) from my first Cycler experiment a long time ago, with the 4x = 6x fiasco! That diode was good, and survived 150h+ on my Cycler Cct. before sliding into a kink and eventually dying...

But from 6x's and up, the kinks were suddenly gone! We couldn't find them anymore, at least not at survivable currents!

But what if they appear over time - after the diode has been through some abuse? I want to know WHERE they appear, HOW, do they change in shape, do they move, grow, etc.....

Ultimatelly, IF these kinks would start appearing around the same region (either in current or power), it could tell us, quite accuratelly, where the limit of a diode is!

Then another test would have to be done with a diode set just below that yet nonexisting kink - to see how long it lasts then!

I used to think lack of kinks was a good thing, but there is clearly something weird going on, and these gradually appearing kinks could explain it! We really need to find out what the 8x's are capable of, especially if you consider the fact, that we are setting 8x diodes to the powers i'd expect from the 450mW Pulsed Sanyo diode! :undecided:

Last edited: