Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does anyone believe this - 10000mw laserpointer??

Hello,

I came across this ad for a small laser pointer that claims to be 10000mw output on one 10440 battery. I don't think its possible the max I've seen is 200mw in this size. However I contacted the seller twice, and was told that the output was correct. I really quizzed them on it,but they claim it is 10000mw. Its got to be 10 or 100mw right?? I think this is an error or false advertising.

Does anyone believe this ???

Thanks!
stephen

Wholesale Laser Pointers - Buy Wholesale-Burn Match 10000mw 532nm Open-back Green Laser Pointer with Keychain, $29.7 | DHgate

ARG

It isn't an error, just false advertising.

If the physics doesn't make sense then it's a fake. DPSS is about 25% efficient meaning it would need a 40W pump diode, which would take around 40A which is more than a 10440 can supply, even with a buck driver. Without a doubt fake.

Common sense also applies "if it's too good to be true..."

Ok, based on that logic, how much could you get out of a 10440 battery? I read a datasheet where you can get 5 amps for a 2 second pulse on a 1.5V Energizer Lithium AA battery... So that's 7.5 Watts... if the laser is 25% efficient then you get 1.875W out, or 1875mW, max ?

I've also seen 10440 battery info that said 7 amps max but might have been an error ???
That would give a max output of 6457mA @ 25% efficiency.

Do you know of a good reference for battery data??

thanks!
Stephen

If you put a zero point energy generator in series between the laser diode (or pump diode) and the battery, they can easily put out 10,000 mw or ten watts but then you also need a special inverted heat sink which takes heat and turns it into cold. Does this pointer have both of those? If it doesn't, I think they aren't being honest.

(I hope you know I'm kidding, they got me a few years ago when I bought a 2 watt 532nm which was closer to 300mw, the pump diode was 2 watts, not the output).

Last edited:
It isn't an error, just false advertising.

If the physics doesn't make sense then it's a fake. DPSS is about 25% efficient meaning it would need a 40W pump diode, which would take around 40A which is more than a 10440 can supply, even with a buck driver. Without a doubt fake.

Common sense also applies "if it's too good to be true..."

How do you calculate the 40amp current? Do you assume a resistance for the diode, or an applied voltage?

I've ordered lasers like that. They are for real. AliExpress has plenty of them, some as high as 20000mW. You just have to know how to read the ad. Take the price in cents and divide by 20. That's how many mW you actually get. If it's $30.00, that would be 150 mW.

Plus or minus a factor of two. Usually minus.

Also, if it says 445/447/450 it means 405.

If it comes with free shipping, a free charger, and a free lithium-ion battery with protection circuit, you can't go wrong.

ARG

How do you calculate the 40amp current? Do you assume a resistance for the diode, or an applied voltage?

The 40A current is a very rough estimate, not calculated. I make the approximation that 1A in = 1W out.
The estimation was just for the purpose of showing the laser could not get that much current from the cell, even if my estimation is 50% off my point still stands, 20A would be too much from a 10440.

Place of Origin: China (Mainland). Enough said. In a pointer that size it will be 5mw to 100mw tops. You can't even get 10000mw in a 532nm hand held, only in a very expensive lab laser that would cost many thousands of dollars.

Alan

regarding battery specs and batteries altogether:

I rely on hobby sites for those, but likely not in that form of battery. Airsoft and RC car batteries can pump out as high as 90A peak for 0:15 burst and 0:45 rest. They're all different. You know how crazy powerful, yet dangerous LiPO batteries can be. I know with the airsoft batteries, you can get an easy 20A without problems, as many are rated 20C.

For the record, Walmart is currently offering 2x 2,000mah 18650 batteries in the form of cell phone chargers by the brand uniden. It's a 2 pack for 9.99. Sure, I can score them for a little less, but hear this one out.....you get an aluminum casing for the battery itself, and they can screw together for two of them, which appears to make for a very slimline laser host. You also get two regulator chips for USB charging, which I use with solar cells to make an effective 1A charger, or you can use for whatever. If anything, you also score two each USB A and microUSB female ports as spares.

I'm contemplating on using the microUSB female to internally balance charge the 7.4 LiPO battery pack inside my laser. I mean, it's not like you can't make an adapter for your handy dandy LiPO balance charger.

I get my LiPO batteries here. Dark side of things, they come from HK. I buy local when I'm in a rush. I've tested these batteries in other hobbies. They work very well.
Batteries & Accessories>Li-Poly (All brands)

USAbro

Look at the beam termination dot in the image they show. It looks pretty dim for 10w.
After contacting a seller once on a "100mw laser" that could not even pop balloons, the seller said he just found another listing on eBay and C & P the specs to his listing. :(

Last edited:
Why do you estimate 1A = 1W ? Just curious how accurate this is or what its based on.

This ratio is based loosely on an efficiency curve that varies from diode to diode.

For example, the M-140 diode gets around 1A -> 1W

It all depends