Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does 473nm lasers look blurry?

As I'm soon getting a blue aquarius-5 through the CNI groupbuy I'm curious about this. As we all know, 405nm "blu-ray" laser dots and beams is blurry because they are on the edge of our vision. But, is this effect noticeable with a 473nm true blue?

I've seen a lot of lights and signs in the city with blue light which looks very similar to the color of a 473nm laser (bright blue). The lights are blurry at a distance, and such signs are tough to read. They simply blur out the same way as 405nm lasers do, but not as noticeable.

Is this noticeable with a 473nm LASER as well, or is the beams and dots of such lasers as "solid" as a green? You who have seen this wavelength in person, please enlighten me :)

Or, could it just be my eyes that, for some reason, have big troubles with seeing blue light correct?

Get your eyes checked :) Signs use glass beads for reflective purposes and may blurr.

473 is super BLUE -- a little more BLUE than my ArIons at 488 nM which are a light sky blue.
You will love it.

Mike

Ahaa, if it's not my eyes I should be fine then. Cant wait to see this color everyone says is so vivid and awesome :D

The reason 405 looks blurry is not because of the wavelength, it's because nearly everything it shines on makes some other wavelength from florescence, the eye does not know which to focus on. if I shine 405nm on a black ceramic block, the dot appears fine to me.

473nm does not give any blurry effect as far as I can tell. 457nm does not cause this effect either. 430nm starts to look similar to the 405nm effects.

Another interesting tidbit about the 473nm, it will cause fluorescence and charge glow in the dark items. It's effects aren't as strong as a 405nm laser, but if you by some chance don't have a 405nm, you'll still be able to see what it does.

When I first bought my Aquarius back before 405nm lasers were regularly available, I was quite suprised and pleased to see that it had this effect. :)

diachi

Another interesting tidbit about the 473nm, it will cause fluorescence and charge glow in the dark items. It's effects aren't as strong as a 405nm laser, but if you by some chance don't have a 405nm, you'll still be able to see what it does.

When I first bought my Aquarius back before 405nm lasers were regularly available, I was quite suprised and pleased to see that it had this effect. :)

532nm green does it ever so slightly.

488nm blue does it quite well though, so I imagine 473 would be pretty good too.

my RPL 473 25 average is bright blue looks like a 10 mw green's brightness
does that make sense?. And no ,if i shine it a 1/2 mile away its still very clear looking

473nm is pure blue ,,, i saw it and feeling very nice ,
if played , 473nm is cool and very very good looking .
just , it is too expensive :( :( :-(

Krutz

about 405 and blur: i see it blurred too. but when i take off my prescription glasses, the dot is almost perfectly sharp!
has nothing to do with "boarder of the vision" directly. the eye, as an optical system, is "optimized" for around 555nm. since its "just" one lens, there is the effect that different wavelengths have a slightly different focalpoint. comparable to a prism, which bends the light depending on its wavelength too. so regular blue and red will be slightly defocussed already, but it takes such a different wavelength as 405nm to see it clearly.. which is 150nm away from the "optimum". so theoretically, 700nm should be equally blurred? never heard this about a ruby laser.. any hints?

manuel