Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do i need goggles?

Hello.

I am going to buy green 50 mW laser. I'm going to use it outside, point it to sky or dark walls. So, do I need goggles? Im really frightened about my vision. Thanks.

i would suggest getting a pair of goggles because you wont always be pointing the laser at the sky.

stuart :)

you can NEVER put a price on your vision, you only have two eyes, so dont ruin them.

they look like the exact same glasses that focalprice sell, 45 Lithuanian Lita is £10.68 or 16.09$.

buy these - Focalprice.com offers Professional Anti Green Laser Glassess ,discount Professional Anti Green Laser Glassess,Professional Anti Green Laser Glassess products,low price Professional Anti Green Laser Glassess,cheap Professional Anti Green Laser Glasses

they are only 7.99$ which equates to 22.34 Lithuanian Lita, which is less than half the price, and its free worldwide shipping. i wouldn't ever use these glasses for >100mW though, so anything under 100mW would be relatively safe.

50mW is dangerous if you take a direct hit to the eye or are just looking at the dot, prolonged exposure can cause blind spots to the eye.

stuart :)

Hi,

I'm new to the site I've been looking around at lasers I already have two lasers a Green 532nm <1mW and also a red one that came free with it when i got it from eBay, I've had them about a year they're still great I was just wondering what's the max mW I could get without needing some eye protection? I'm not YET into the big powerful lasers but I may be buying another one soon, hense my question about the max power i can have without needing some eye protection.

Thanks Ash,
As I said I'm still new to proper laser stuff and have been searching round google looking at various sites and got worried thinking i might need some.

:)

Those focalprice goggles are really good IMO.... not only are they colored plastic all the way through (not just a coating) and block 99% of the light coming through, if the power is high enough they melt just a little bit and refract the light everywhere so it's less concentrated. Very good for the money.

Does anyone know the power limit for UK customs?

I'm thinking of getting a more powerful laser but dont wanna loose it before I even get it.

Morgan

This is true, there are no limits just yet in the UK. This is true of buying overseas, buying internally or buying components. There are laws regards use and selling however. Usage requires no laser of >5mW to be used in public and, as I understand it, full safety and usage guidelines must be supplied with any laser sold in the UK >5mW. You can't sell any laser >5mW to the general public without this info, you are obligated to educate. That is about it!

The thing to be aware of when importing is the goods are liable to import tax which doesn't apply below £25, (I think it was last time I looked). Some suppliers will reduce the labelled price to avoid this however.

Hope that sets your mind more at ease.

M
:)

"Best" is relative. What you want are goggles that you know will protect you. That means tested goggles from a trusted source. If you want certified protection, you can get some good ones at OEM laser systems.

You can also buy some red laser enhancement goggles (i.e. the red laser goggles). They're not certified, but have generally been shown to sufficiently protect against green. They're almost too good though, and it's hard to see the dot. I like the ML7 model on OEM, but they're expensive, around $150 if I recall. They'll also protect against low-powered red (< 150mW), and nearly all the IR that green lasers produce. So it's a good multi-purpose goggle.