Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DMX to USB

has anyone used one of those DMX to usb controllers?

Theres a few on the net and some on ebay for about 80$ up to a few hundred.

It would be pretty cool to computer control lasers!

has anyone had any experience with them?

I have the Enttec DMX USB Pro. "Things" recommended it plus a freeware program that looks like a lighting control panel. It works good with my CL-16RGY projo.
Maybe Things will stop by with an update !!

Mike

Things

Things is here ;D ;D ;D Yes, Mike and i have the DMX Usb pro from Enttec.com. It works well for lasers that can use DMX input, but also if you have any DMX lighting (almost all Dj's have it ;D) There is another one on their site that is cheaper, but offers not protection. If your laser happened to fail, it could send 120-240V into your USB port. I, and a few others highly recommend it. Need anymore help, just give me a PM, i can help you out! ;)

Things

Pic for Blue (i dont recommend doing this ;D ;D)

Attachments

• untitled_003.PNG
    untitled_003.PNG
    94 KB · Views: 406
What all can you control, can u specify each individual patter, and do kinda set shows? How much control does it give you?

im thinking of getting one just trying to figure out what all i can control with it.

Thanks for the quick reply!

What you can control depends on your individual scanner. If you have one of these you can control whatever your scanner lets you.

haha fair enough, are they worth getting? what software do you use to control yours?

As far as I know DMX is just an adressing protocol, a lighting DJ with hundreds of lights sets them all to different addresses then runs a programme from the computer control panel that switches them on and off to make a show, so all that will happen is you can turn the laser on and off....... :-/ With my scanner kit if you set switch 1 high it will go to microphone, set all switches low it will do the pre-programmed patterns and with switch 10 high and it will display whatever you are sending to the DAC....
If you want full control of your scanner from your computer you need a DAC and some show software.

Regards rog8811

rog8811 said:
As far as I know DMX is just an adressing protocol, a lighting DJ with hundreds of lights sets them all to different addresses then runs a programme from the computer control panel that switches them on and off to make a show, so all that will happen is you can turn the laser on and off....... :-/ With my scanner kit if you set switch 1 high it will go to microphone, set all switches low it will do the pre-programmed patterns and with switch 10 high and it will display whatever you are sending to the DAC....
If you want full control of your scanner from your computer you need a DAC and some show software.

Regards rog8811

On and off is a bit harsh... It does more than an on off switch. If you have a scanner like mine that has hundreds of preset effects already programmed into it then all the usb dmx will do it give you the ability to choose which effect you want and give you limited control of it such as speed.

If you want to create your own show with complete custom effects then you will need a DAC, if you just want to make quick shows then usb dmx is the way to go.

DMX was invented in 1956 by a group of people who worked in the industry. It's designed for controlling dimmers. So you have 512 channels on one cable, each of which has 256 positions in terms of off to on.
In a dimmer, one channel is one dimmer channel. In a laser, the one laser assumes many channels and the varying values allow you to control various aspects such as angle, speed, colour, pattern etc.

So it's a LOT more than off/on.

Any software preferences you guys have found?

Also for the DMX>USB the Pro one is best?
Was that from ebay or off a site.

There is a site, but hang in there. I'd go for the pro, but I may be able to come up with a cheaper alternative that works just as well (with a microprocessor like the pro).

The PRO Enttec model is the common one and it's the current top of the line for that purpose.