Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY Laser Cutter Project

Things

Re: My (16 month :D ) holiday project - DIY Laser Cutter

Thanks guys :)

This project has cost me a f@ckload more money than I was originally intending, but the end result is going to be nothing short of awesome. These new XY stages are actually top of the line, you'd be hard pressed to find a commercial machine with this kind of resolution for under $6K.

I get around 9um per step travel, which is pretty damn epic resolution (For comparison, the width of a human hair ranges from 17-180uM, so theoretically I could slice a piece of hair lengthways :D) . The laser beam itself is going to be a fair bit wider than that though.

Will get a video up today sometime :)

Last edited:

AnthoT

Thanks guys :)

This project has cost me a f@ckload more money than I was originally intending, but the end result is going to be nothing short of awesome. These new XY stages are actually top of the line, you'd be hard pressed to find a commercial machine with this kind of resolution for under $6K.

I get around 9um per step travel, which is pretty damn epic resolution (For comparison, the width of a human hair ranges from 17-180uM, so theoretically I could slice a piece of hair lengthways :D) . The laser beam itself is going to be a fair bit wider than that though.

Will get a video up today sometime :)

Wow, that's precise + repped ya :D

It is a parrot claw eh?

lol ok looks more like an owl...

Last edited:

Things

Mmm well, HD and Eagles usually go hand in hand, so I'd take a bet it's probably an eagle claw ;)

AnthoT

Can we get this engraved :D

7481399602_9d6af39a8e.jpg

It's kizdawgs bird :) if its ok with him of course lol

Last edited:

thief!!! STOP!!

how about this...

IMG_4461 by Kizdawg, on Flickr

Sam had a bath...

Last edited:

Things

Funnily enough, the cage in that picture looks damn similar to the old one I used to have :D

I have a couple of them some biger than others I am getting ripped off by preview hendrix pets... Ithere totally trying to screw me... or there sales rep Dee is.. I'm about to unleash some nasty on them if they dont smarten up..

benmwv

The step resolution is actually smaller than the wavelength, awesome!

I would like to make a laser cutter but I wouldn't go all out like you have. Mine would be smaller and use the cheapest parts I could find.

AUS

Wow way cool Dan!!!!
I think I have found where to take my PCB's to be etched now! Oh and get laser cut polycarbonate! We will have to work out a rate :)

I read about people coating PCB's with paint and using low power (200mW 660nm) lasers to etch the paint off the circuit board for etching. Should work... :D

Can you feed gerber files into it?

Things

Not gerbers directly, but most PCB programs I've seen have a way of exporting to something else, such as pdf, dxf etc. The program supports a crapload of file formats, so wouldn't be difficult getting one that works. If the software doesn't export any types directly, I'm sure there would be a plugin to do it.

Doo you mean acrylic/perspex, or actual polycarbonate? polycarbonate turns to crap when you lasercut it, basically just catches fire :D

Acrylic/plexi/perspex whatever you want to call it, on the other hand, will cut brilliantly :)

Oh, and another video :D

Dan

I started up the arduino project again today and I think I LED'd another s06j.. Argh!!! I will never learn... Hrm maybe it wasnt getting a good current from the USB arduino.. The driver seems fine I duno.. I guess I could do it with a 445... the s06j'z should have been able to take the 500ma it allmost seemed to pulse like a bad connection.. and I saw the beam split into 2 semi beams once and I said WTF? Eh I want to build a Things Thing now... Looks easier than what I was trying with the controlers and all.. but the components are so kewl.. I hate writing software.. I was damaged as a kid doing that... I want to go your route..

You changed your design I think thrice and that would cost alot.. I'm still on the tec beverage cooler..

Last edited:

Things

Have re-designed my frame!

Assem2.png

Assem3.png

Assem4.png

Gives me roughly 150mm on each side, and 100mm at the front, 200mm at the back. Total height 521mm, made from 25mm RHS.

Comes in at over 32 metres of steel :eek: And a hell of a lot of welding.

Last edited:

Things

Bought a heap of steel, cut it all to length and started welding, but got a cold and feel like $h!t so didn't get too much done. Should have something picture worthy tomorrow. All I know is this thing is going to be ridiculously huge :D