Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY Laser Cutter Project

Things

Some laser edge lighting :D

DSCF5449.jpg

Another one with engraving :D

DSCF5458.jpg

DSCF5463.jpg

Last edited:

Things

Cut out a little box today :D

Need to mess around with my kerf size once i have a proper bed in, as it doesn't quite hold itself together:

DSCF5471.jpg

EDIT: Got my 2 extra stepper drivers and CO2 current meter (and radiator which I probably won't end up using :( ) and put them in:

DSCF5472.jpg

Gonna start work on the Z bed tomorrow :)

Apologies for the quadruple and countless doubleposts, but I intend on writing this entire project up in the future, and creating separate posts means I have dates recorded for when I did stuff :)

Last edited:

Things

Build the bed system and installed the linear bearings over the last 2 days, this damn thing is putting on weight! it consists of over 38 metres of steel, which weighs around 40kg alone, + 30kg or so for the actual cutter frame, then add electronics and other structural material, and it'd be approaching 100kg.

DSCF5473.jpg

DSCF5474.jpg

It still only needs a 2 person lift - just :eek:

Just need to install the threaded lift rods, which I attempted to do but found my acrylic brackets didn't have enough room for movement in them :(

The rails sticking up out the top also need to be cut down, just didn't get around to it today.

Last edited:

HIMNL9

... wondering if you're thinking about install a 100W or more laser tube there ... space is sure not a problem ;) :D

Hi Dan,
You lasers coming along and I'm still learning.

I have been looking at DSP controllers.
Lightobject are charging $450.00US + postage. I see on Aliexpress.com you can buy what seems to be the same DSP for around $320US inc. postage(see link)
Aliexpress.com : Buy AWC608laser control system from Reliable laser controller suppliers on shenzhen reliable electromechanical technology company

Do you know anything about these or is it best to stick to the Lightobject version.
I have been talking to the chinese supplier and they say theirs is the latest version and its supplied with LaserCAD v5.85.

Any info would be great.

Things

If their idea of the latest version is LaserCAD 5.85, well .... It's up to 6.18 now IIRC :)

However, it does appear to be the same control unit, just with a different display panel. You probably could buy that one and just use the updates lightobject posts, though I'm not 100% sure on it.

Dan

Damn Things!!!! I want a box with a logo inside!!! How much??? I'd love to help fund your Thesus....

benmwv

Hey things, would you be willing to buy something like this:

NEW AEROSPACE KAPTON FILM .005" X 4.45" HARD TO FIND 5 MIL , HIGH TEMP, VOLTAGE | eBay

So you can make us solder paste stencils? I'm sure anybody making their own drivers would buy some.

That would make a ton of stencils, and if you sold them at maybe $5 for a 2" by 2" square you would make your money back and more easy. All the places that sell stencils make you buy an entire sheet no matter how small your board is and its expensive!

Things

Yes, I have a lot of requests for stencils, even I'd like to make some myself. I'll have to look into purchasing some kapton film.

Unfortunately that seller doesn't ship internationally, so I'd need to get someone in the US to middleman for me.

I'm moving house (again) in about 1.5 weeks, so I'm starting to pack everything up again now. The laser cutter is gonna have to go on a truck with the rest of my stuff, so it might be a couple months before I can use it again. After that though I intend to set up a service for hobbyists, doing stencils and such :)

Dan

benmwv

Awesome. I don't mind to wait a while, It will be great to have the service available.

Do you have any idea what the smallest dot you can get with your laser is?

Things

Not yet, so far the smallest I've been able to measure is about 0.1mm, but that'll probably change once my proper focus system is running, that and that was in 6mm acrylic, so even smaller on thin film. The cutter itself has 9um resolution.

Dan

Things

Put in the Z axis rods today, just designed a stepper motor mount to be cut out of acrylic and also attempted joining the belt. Might have Z axis movement tomorrow :)

DSCF5487.jpg

DSCF5488.jpg

Also, I have started writing up a proper page on my website here: http://nqlasers.com/lcutter.php

It is lacking images and such at the moment, still working on it & will be for a while yet.

Last edited: