Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY 100 Watt Halogen Flashlight UPDATED

Re: DIY 100 Watt Halogen Flashlight

I think Kiu on CPF sells sockets for the Bi-Pins for around $20. No driver just the socket.

Instructions: High Temp Socket

LaZeRz

Well, won't the driver cost 30 or so dollars anyways?

Well, the driver is more of an option than a necessity.

You can run the Osram 64623 bulb up to 16V (direct drive) and be fine. However, you cut down your run time and bulb life. BUT you do get a brighter output! :evil:

Very nice build and what a bright light it can throw, I wonder how long it can run on that cell/battery ?
It would be cool if the blue light in the switch would start blinking when the LiPo needed to be charged.
Is there room to put a LiPo ckt in there :thinking:

Good one Jacob :gj:

Last edited:

jayrob

Very nice build and what a bright light it can throw, I wonder how long it can run on that cell/battery ?
It would be cool if the blue light in the switch would start blinking when the LiPo needed to be charged.

I would have liked to put the same voltage monitor that I use in my 1000 lumen XM-L T6 build, but there is not room...

Plus, this bad boy gets extremely hot! Hot enough to cook an egg with it...

Last edited:

I get about 25 minutes of run time off those batteries.

The switch has 3 pins, ground, load, and LED, so I am thinking about designing a circuit to make the LED shut off or blink when it is time to charge it.

and I have an extra ~2 inches of room, a maglite 5d would have worked

+1

Last edited:

Benm

Running a 12V lamp at 11.1V instead of 14.4V is a larger difference than you might think.

Depends on what i think - i guess its a ~60% drop in light output with about 30% drop in electrical power.

Incandescants arent as easy as they seem to be, and using a constant current driver can be a very good idea. I suppose this light would be brighter with 4 lipo cells and a 50 watt bulb, though the bulb will not last as long.

Alright, I have decided not to sell these, so here is a parts list

Bulb: OSRAM EFP bulb EFP 100w 12v EFP 100 watts 12 volts | eBay <<-- do not buy from these guys, everything is out of stock, and they call you at 6am to discuss it
Bulb Holder: Osram Sylvania TP61 28IN/18GA/ULSF1 Socket Lamp Holder <<-- do not buy from these guys, they ship at DX-like speeds
Switch: Amazon.com: SPST Automotive Rocker Switch w/Blue LED 12V: Electronics
Host: Amazon.com: MAGLITE S6D015 Display Box Heavy-Duty 6-D Cell Flashlight, Black: Home Improvement
Batteries: GENS ACE 1200mAh 11.1V 20C LiPo Battery for AirSoft Gun (Long) << you WILL need multiple of these
Lens: Amazon.com: MAGLITE 108-081 Glass Lens (C or D Cell): Home Improvement
Torx T8: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IDCR2W
Battery cable: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Last edited:
PK FLASH!! (Anyone whose played Earthbound should know where that's from :p)

How much did everything end up costing? I found a 12V 50W lamp at radioshack that they sell in store Feit Electric MR16 12V/50W Halogen Lamp - RadioShack.com

Would this give me approximately half the light that you have?

It ended us being about $65 I think, $80 if you count the stuff I broke.

Before this, I built one with that bulb, and it works well. I would give it a try if I were you.