Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Distance burn explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmbusa

I’d rather carry a pocket sized laser and some flash paper then make a gas torch and hope I’m far enough away and throw it. I have tons of tannerite and a farm in ohio you know how hilarious it be to set up a beam tapped to a tree turn it on in the woods with a friend and scare the shit out of them?

another option pocket sized

Capture.JPG

Howie923

You guys have made it very clear (not all) that you can’t answer the question. Considering there are less then ten options even remotely close to what I’m talking about choosing one should be simple. Come up with every excuse not to answer. I’m a light hearted guy who likes to have fun I have a mx track and go off 100 foot jumps risking being paralyzed or killed each time. I don’t mean this offensively but I have a much higher risk limit. ( same reason I got this money. Side note download pionex and let it invest ur crypto for you gains all day!)

I came here for a simple answer but was met with everything I found previously. Like i said I’m gonna do it my self and just buy a few options. if anyone replies with the right answer I’ll sell you one of the other wavelengths for half off if your interested. If anyone reading this is wondering the results just let me know and also if your into building tactical cool stuff. As I move beyond I really hope you guys can learn to more helpful and calm ur tits.
Also anyone reading this wondering the same if you take away one thing is know that an adjustable beam expander with an adjustable laser will extend ur burn reach. Anyone who says other wise just doesn’t have it set up right. Also you can use a 500mm telephoto if your not looking for something hand held.

cheers y’all.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
How many times have we answered your question and you are telling us we haven't answered it still. Do you look at the night sky and wonder why the universe isn't showing you any stars too. When they are clearly there for you to look at?

1619080175547.png

Encap

A 10X beam expander will actually reduce your initial power density by 100X, it will just allow the laser to maintain that power density over a longer distance.
Don't bother to waste time with a ninny that insists his daydream and BS is true and makes a retarded chimpanzee look brilliant.

He has all the answers let him wallow in them and try various hammer and nails/trial and error approaches that is a good as it gets for him.

He never actually mentioned any distance - just "far away"-or anything specific enough for an answer
He has no desire or ability or both to comprehend/understand --sod buster mentality
He needs to get over himself. Nobody owes him anything, not even the time of day.

As Ron White has said many times and everbody knows:

Howie923

I apologize for any personal attacks I may have made I was frustrated because I know there’s an answer but then I was emotionally triggered when I felt I was being accused of basically a terrorist act and the very kind of action I’m so afraid of that’s gonna ruin lasers for everyone. It’s the same feelings as being a gun owner. So I can understand where your guys hesitation comes from. I’m just a pyro with too much time and money. Speaking of back to scalping bit coin. If u haven’t gotten out of doge yet get out fast!

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Please reread what we have wrote carefully then and try to understand. We really couldn't explain this any clearer without running calculations and doing demonstrations.

Keep power density high, make sure wavelength is absorbed my material of choice. Job done. Not a hard subject.
This thread was made so much more difficult than was needed.

Howie923

Don't bother to waste time with a ninny that insists his daydream and BS is true and makes a retarded chimpanzee look brilliant.

He has all the answers let him wallow in them and try various hammer and nails/trial and error approaches that is a good as it gets for him.

He never actually mentioned any distance - just "far away"-or anything specific enough for an answer
He has no desire or ability or both to comprehend/understand --sod buster mentality
He needs to get over himself. Nobody owes him anything, not even the time of day.

As Ron White has said many times and everbody knows:

I don’t want anyone’s time who’s just gonna blur the truth. Common sense should tell you a reasonable distance. Safe enough to light a big brush fire yet close enough to still be able to hold it still enough. These are all common sense answers. Maybe all you guys do is like engraving where your distance is in mm not meters. Please on behalf of me have a laugh and enjoy your time I welcome it.

Encap

I don’t want anyone’s time who’s just gonna blur the truth. Common sense should tell you a reasonable distance. Safe enough to light a big brush fire yet close enough to still be able to hold it still enough. These are all common sense answers. Maybe all you guys do is like engraving where your distance is in mm not meters. Please on behalf of me have a laugh and enjoy your time I welcome it.
Bottom line is 'you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear' and a 7W 445nm diode is a sows ear.
Over and out.

nmbusa

for the laserers that dont use the metric system so there's no confussion

mm
445nm-5w-High-Power-Blue-laser-Pointer-4.jpg

meters
Audiobook-War-of-the-Worlds-EN-H-G-Wells.jpg

;)

Hey I’m new to forum but have read as a non member for a while I’ve seen this question asked before and idk why no one can give a clear answer.
What wattage, diode, lens, wavelength ect is best for distance burning.

when it comes to what’s being burnt i understand Different colors absorbs different lengths. What wave legth is best absorbed into what color at far distances. What diode and lense or beam expander will keep my diameter the smallest.

also for my specific application I would like to know what ir wavelength would be best. I want to be able to set fire to brush piles with gas on them from a safe distance. I also gave a ir scope and would like to experiment with using it idk if the wattage to burn would over expose the sight tho?
I currently use the Zeus x 7w 445 with 3x beam expander and have experimented with my 500mm telephoto lense. This works but the line profile of the 7w diode and keeping it steady from far distances is tough. Please don’t tell me about danger I grew up Around this stuff I’m not an idiot it’s just a waste of time. And as for variables let’s say I put a piece of flash paper in the pile and I can’t paint it any color.
It comes down to power density. A variable beam expander works because it can focus at a distance. Correcting the beam profile with beam shaping optics also helps beams that are not TEM00. See this 13 year old vid.

gazer101

That’s what I was talking about like same color beam on material. Is there an equation to figure out the absorption rate? Beam nm vs what nm the object is reflecting? Reading thru past posts you get a mix of answers and everyone wants to say there’s to many variables. And I totally get divergence I’ve used my telephoto 500mm to get it tiny. That being said having a multiple w out put on my laser it definitely burns quicker at the same distance and focal point when it’s on full. So I don’t get why laser output isnt deemed as a big factor? Then as to nm there’s clear evidence of different nm having different radiation or heat I’m not sure the right term. Does it come down to the diode and beam profile if you take out divergence with a beam expander? If so that’s back to my original question that no ones has clearly answered.
That is a very good question; is there an analytical solution that takes in any given material's atomic and molecular structure and outputs how much light it would absorb.

AFAIK, such an equation does not and will not exist for some time. For instance, with radio waves longer wavelengths typically have better penetration right? Well that is not so true with water... as a matter of fact shorter wavelengths of light (preferably the visible light spectrum) penetrate better. Many times you need to experimentally determine how a material reacts with light

If we had such an equation, we could've designed non-linear optics for direct-diode yellow lasers years ago!

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
We have spectrometers for that. That why you will see absorption and emission spectrums. Very handy for knowing what lasers can be absorbed by what.
Non linear optics are more associated with laser harmonics in dpss lasers. Whilst semiconductors can have non linear properties that isn’t why we haven’t had yellow diodes yet.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
@ Howie'....." Considering there are less then ten options even remotely close to what I’m talking about choosing one should be simple."

There aren't that many options unless you're wanting to spend 5 figures on a OPSL. It you want a high power diode you really only have two options: the 7W+ NUBM44 or a high power IR laser. Either will have truly awful beam specs and will require some serious beam correction to get the power down range concentrated to a small enough spot to burn. Perhaps you could send the output of one of the new multi-die packages through a telescope, but that wouldn't be a handheld anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.