Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Disposable camera capacitors=BIG spark

I decided to make my first shocking capacitor basicly and i took apart this flash for a camera that was seperate from the camera and it ran of 2aa's so i figured bigger spark ;D I took it outside and taped a screwdriver onto a wooden stick and wow that was one big spark and it left nice marks on the screwdriver, so i commenced to take another cap from a regular disposable camera and put it in parallel to the other cap and i ran the circuit off 4aa's (the circuit board has alot bigger and higher voltager rating parts than a regular kodak disposable camera. So i tested it out to see if it would start a fire so i put a leaf on top of it and touched it with a screwdriver on a stick and it launched the leaf like 2 feet away ;D, That was one bright spark, Has anyone else tried running one of the circuits with more batteries, Does it just make charging faster or make the spark bigger? Now im going to put like 5 cap together that should be fun :D

...lazer.... ;D ;D ;D

Things

adding more batteries will most likely blow up the charging transformer, so i wouldn't do it too much. Just be fareful with hooking more than 2 of em up, THEN it becomes deadly! They are good for fun, but are not all that powerful when you think of what you can do :D

Well it was originaly made to run off 2aas so i think it should be fine, If you compare the transformer on it to the one of a normal camera it is about five times the size and all of the other omponets are alot bigger to.

....lazer..... ;D ;D ;D

I love capacitors... ;D I hooked up four 25v 2200uf capacitors in parallel and I like to cahrge it up in a battery charger, and then discharge it into pennies. I thought I remember a member on here selling huge capacitors for $10, maybe it was phaznox? Whoever it is if you see this messsage I want to buy one off of you!

How will a regular battery charger charge it, dont they only give out like 16v i dont think thats enuf for a big spark, or does it have alot of amps so i doesnt matter?

....lazer.... ;D ;D ;D

Today I modified a flash capacitor slightly so I could just plug a cap in, let it charge, then pull it out and shock something with it. Then I put it in a project box and attached to a piece of pvc the size of the capacitors, and now I have an electro-blowgun! I've been testing it out on a piece of sheet metal, as soon as the cap hits it, sparks fly everywhere. It's awesome!

C

Chris.

You know the next step right? A coilgun... I wasted soooo many hours with capacitors :D
I have 2x 10000uf 400v caps in my room :cool:

Things

coilguns are cool, but they are slightly more complicated than shorting caps into pennies and other metal ;D

turtlecannon said:
Today I modified a flash capacitor slightly so I could just plug a cap in, let it charge, then pull it out and shock something with it. Then I put it in a project box and attached to a piece of pvc the size of the capacitors, and now I have an electro-blowgun! I've been testing it out on a piece of sheet metal, as soon as the cap hits it, sparks fly everywhere. It's awesome!
That is a great idea! That's something you should do a video tutorial on and submit it to Metacafe and make some money off that!

Things --

Get a CO2 laser -- power up 24,000 volts and make a mistake :eek:

High Voltage is a shock ;D

Mike

Things

LOL i have touched 60,000V before, and IT HURTS! although it was only a milliamp or 2, so i'm not dead(yet) ;D

things said:
LOL i have touched 60,000V before, and IT HURTS! although it was only a milliamp or 2, so i'm not dead(yet) ;D
50000V is my max ;D

those damn disposable camera cpacitors hate me. a few years i was taking one apart and touched the wrong part of circuit board. . . needless to say, my left arm went numb. :mad:.

just remember everyone who doesn't know better, there is enough energy in those cameras to hurt or possibly kill you. BE CAREFUL, its amasing im still in one piece and not a crispy critter.

Things

those caps won't blow you apart, unless you hook lots in parallel, but thats a different story ;D 240V hurts like hell too! ;D ;D ;D ;D