Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

diodes

"Sony has now developed the SLD1236VL 250 mW optical power output laser diode that supports x16-speed DVD recording"

Might be, but weren't these from 20x drives? :eek:

Sidenote:
About the IR diodes, then I suppose that those aren't quite as suitable for a pointer-type device as a DVD diode? I was planning on just sticking it in an Aixiz unit inside another case, and running it off batteries through a moderated circuit (I read someone used a capacitor for jolts, and a resistor? I suck at electronics... ;))

Gazoo

The SLD1236VL 250 mW diode is rated with pulse drive, not continuous drive.

User-Friendly Actual Refracting Waveguide Window Structure
To respond to calls for the lower aspect ratios demanded for optical pickups, Sony has adopted, in the previously released SLD1234VL (pulse drive: up to 140 mW) and SLD1235VL (pulse drive: up to 200 mW), designs that reduces the radiation angle in the perpendicular direction ([ch952][ch8869]) at the end surface of the laser. The SLD1236VL inherits the structure that results in the same [ch952][ch8869] angle of 17.5 degrees (typical) achieved in the SLD1234VL and SLD1235VL, thus creating a user friendly laser diode product. In addition, the SLD1236VL adopts a low-loss actual refracting waveguide window structure that improves the low threshold current and temperature characteristics. As a result, the SLD1236VL achieves a threshold current of 50 mA (typical) and current value of 130 mA (typical) in 80 mW CW drive mode. The reduction in the threshold current also reduces the noise levels.

http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news/vol37/lsd1236vl.html

S

SenKat

No - those are the 8x diodes....I'm still looking ! I left for a bit for dinner though...

S

SenKat

Xenodius - I think you hit it on the nose...those ARE for 16X, not 20X drives....and although the 250 is rated as pulsed, trust to experience in that you can drive these guys at CW and get excellent results - I have been doing so with the rohm diodes, and they were only rated at 80CS, and I have been running them easily - with no ill effects at 180mw.

Gazoo

SenKat said:
No - those are the 8x diodes....I'm still looking ! I left for a bit for dinner though...

Ok...that ends the confusion. Thanks.

I know we push these diodes to the limit, and we can get more than what the manufacturers rate them as long as we are careful. The one I pulled from my BenQ drive is being pushed with 250ma. This is when the batteries are freshly charged, I know it settles down quickly to 240ma. I forgot to mention before I used some Artic Silver in the module. With the reflector in the flashlight acting as a heat sink, I think the diode will last awhile...knocks on wood..lol

I am looking forward to see what you actually have. Hopefully, they are powerful.

Daedal

This makes me wanna go ahead and buy some of those if they are actually from the 16x DVD burners! It is by far much cheaper than buying the whole drive, and way easier than ripping the drive apart in hopes of not killing the diode in the process... I'm very anxious to hear what SenKat manages to get out of these diodes. :D

GL SenKat and thanx;
DDL

Gazoo

I agree. My BenQ drive was a 16X DVD burner and the diode I pulled out of it is quite powerful. So if SenKat did indeed receive the later model Sony diodes, I would be happy to go in on a GB.

Hey, I would like you to know I decided I am definitely in for at least one 16x diode... Still thinking about it, probably going to get two... Shipping would be ~6-7 bucks? So 28-29 total?

So.... update on this SenKat? You got the diodes; do you have any output measurements? Decided fro' 'shure on teh pricing? (That was a weird slang recession).

And I have a quick offtopic question; Examining my aixiz module which was temporarily fitted with a DVD Laser, I discovered the back of the collimating lens (black plastic, with a ~1/10" hole in the middle, front has little notches for turning with a scredriver) was slightly melted. The deformities are very minor, but might affect further use, or rather, further use might effect it! That cant be normal!?

S

SenKat

No updates yet - been hammered with personal stuff past two days :( But - you can repair that "issue" you spoke of by using a largish drill bit - use your fingers - DO NOT USE THE DRILL ! Unless you have a precision drill press, of course ! Twirl it gently, and take your time doing it - but "drill" out the excess plastic from that back part of hte lense - you will be VERY happy you did so, and experience about a 10mw increase in output power.

Daedal

+1 on SenKat's advice on that one. I have about 15 of these plastic cases and should be getting 10 glass ones very soon. From what I understand, the glass ones do not have the back closed in as with the plastic ones. That is still to be found out though. Also, the brass modules (~$4) seem to work better for me. They are smaller and you can pack them in anything. They also are made of brass which promotes heat dissipation and the back of the collimating lens is open to the diode. I like them better, Sad thing is they only come with plastic lenses.

--DDL

Thanks SenKat! I will be very careful... I don't like the thought of scratching my lens, but I DO like the thought of +10mW!! ;D

And Daedal, I understood the larger aixiz module was actually chrome-plated brass...? I suppose solid brass would still work better, but eh, whatever ;) I definitely see where you are coming from.

Daedal

Hey Xenodius, I'm personally not sure of the what makes up the chrome modules, but just by sense of touch I can definitely tell you that the brass modules are always cooler than the chrome ones when left outside... that's the same thing you'd notice when you touch glass versus plastic from the fridge. ;)

I could be wrong about the heat dissipation, but I still like how small they look, and end up using them more than I use the chrome ones.

--DDL

Daedal -- Where do you get the "small" brass modules -- I'm out.

Xeno - That small Aixiz input apperature is to get a round spot at the cost of a percent of your output which is a rectangle from the LD. I use almost 1/2 " drill bit to open it up and then CAREFULLY trim the edges with an xacto knife. Your focused beam won't be quite round but you're getting most of the power delivered.

Careful with the Aixis glass lens assemblies. Some don't fit the module too well and will screw up all the threads in there.

Mike

Kenom

the chromed modules are brass as well, they just have a chrome plating over it. You can actually scratch the plating right off. I've found this out when I cut the barrel off the bottom for putting inside my diy red lasers. I actually have to sand the barrel down to get rid of the chrome so that it will stick with epoxy.

So essentially there is no difference between the modules at all.

Ken --
I machine the chrome off so I can solder to it but there's a small module around which I can't find anymore. I can add heatsinking to a small module especially bare brass.

Mike