Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Diode identification.

The other night, I was going through my 'laser junk box' trying to scrounge up some parts to finish some MXDL builds for Aryntha and I came across a 405nm diode pressed in an aixiz module. As a quick and dirty test to see if it worked I soldered it to the driver out of one of the cheap ebay '5mw' 405nm pens.

So I powered it on and the LPM showed 50mW.. fairly typical using one of these drivers.

However, I noticed this was the brightest damn 50mW 405 i've seen so I stuck it on the spectrometer. Sure enough, it was running just a hair under 415nm.

Being that is is an old diode, in an aixiz module, that means it's either a PHR or a SF-BW512L diode since those are really the only two types of bare 405nm diodes i've ever had.

So my question is this; Do either PHR's or 512L's have any kind of identifying marks on this? If it's a PHR, I don't want to kill it, and if it's a 12x, Well, I don't really want to relegate it to a life of 100mW either. heh.

Necroing this almost two year old thread because after recently having to dig out all my laser stuff to fix a build for someone, it got me actually interested in building lasers again.. So I starting going through all the stuff I've accumulated over the years and seeing what I could actually build..

and I again came across this mystery diode that measures 415nm on the spectro... so the question in my original post is still quite valid.

It could be any 405nm rated diode.

Just like any 445 has the chance to run high to 455+.

However if you're interested in selling, I'd be interested. I've been looking for a 415 for quite some time.

EDIT: Disregard, didn't see the part about identifying features. Carry on.

What makes you think it was bare? Do you not remember harvesting it?

Last edited:
could you tell by determining it's lasing threshold? i can't say for sure but i'd guess that in a 12x and a phr there would be a notable difference.

Morgan

^This. (I think. Been about the same time since I switched anything on that had a narrow colour gappy or lined all the wavelengths thingies up, or something like that... *sarcasm*)

M :)

It could be any 405nm rated diode.

Just like any 445 has the chance to run high to 455+.

However if you're interested in selling, I'd be interested. I've been looking for a 415 for quite some time.

EDIT: Disregard, didn't see the part about identifying features. Carry on.

What makes you think it was bare? Do you not remember harvesting it?

I'm pretty sure it's either a PHR or BW512L because in that particular timeframe, those were the only two types of 405nm diodes I had any of. I acquired a bunch of cheap ebay 405nm pens later on, but that came after my original query. And I never claimed the 415nm was unusual, only that it was the highest of any of the 405's I had, so I don't really want to LED it if I can help it.

could you tell by determining it's lasing threshold? i can't say for sure but i'd guess that in a 12x and a phr there would be a notable difference.

Not applicable.. I already thought of and tested this a long time ago. All single mode InGaN diodes are going to behave about the same electrically since... well, electrically they are about the same.. The difference between the low and high power diodes are the facet coating durability and number of bonding wires. I have identifiable (I labeled the static bags :p) PHR's and 12x's, and both have nearly identical threshold and PIV curves to this mystery diode. Well, at least within a few mW/mA.. within the ranges I'm willing to push a PHR or the mystery diode without killing it, and the differences are small enough that it could well be within the ranges of diode variation.. Certainly not enough to be used as conclusive identification.

^This. (I think. Been about the same time since I switched anything on that had a narrow colour gappy or lined all the wavelengths thingies up, or something like that... *sarcasm*)

M :)

Wat...

Oh well. Guess i'll just put it in a 1xAAA host and do a low power build and be done with it. Just thought i'd ask one last time before doing something with it.

sinner

You just need a bench PSU and set in on CV (constant voltage), Now the Vf is generally 5-6V in bluray diodes, Just set the PSU at 5.5V it will draw a particular amount of current. that's how you know what diode it is.

Actually.. that's a good idea. Never thought about comparing vF.. I only looked at current draw to power output before, which.. well, the phr and the 12x were pretty identical in those regards.

Luckily I still have the PIV curves I took when I did a group buy on the sf-bw512l's a few years ago and tested some samples.