Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Deciding Between Lasers?

I'm looking for a green laser between 150-250mW that is a decent quality, substantial and between £0-£130 preferably under £110, good burning power would be nice as well. Also does anyone know where i can get some sort of case for it that would clip to a belt?

What I've Looked At And Considered:

Silver chrome green laser 150mW/good finish [OLSGL150] - $92.00 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products
https://www.optotronics.com/proddetail.php?prod=Opto150 <- I like the look of this one more than the others reviews say its overspec and high quality
www.rayfoss.com <- key lock isnt such a bad thing?
www.rayfoss.com <- ^
Silver chrome green laser 150mW/good finish [OLSGL150] - $92.00 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products
PowerCheck Laser: Focusing 70-150mW Green Laser - Class 3B Laser - Detailed item view - OdicForce Lasers Online Shop ? Questionable
$33.99 Focusable Green Beam Laser Pointer Pen Flashlight AG-1006 50mW/100mW/150mW/200mW - BudgetGadgets.com ??? saw it on styropyros channel PMed him about it he said go for optotronics or O-like having trouble deciding though :\

Looked at 200's on Rayfoss they seem similar to the 150's price-wise so if anyone wants to recommend something go for it.

With a pair of these unless someone can recommend something better: 405nm,473nm,532nm laser safety goggles [OLGLG532] - $19.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

:thanks:, Reverno

Last edited:

udanis

Are pens really any good compared to a flashlight style, i'm convinced i might break it what with it being thin and all?

udanis

Are pens really any good compared to a flashlight style, i'm convinced i might break it what with it being thin and all?

I personally like lower power pens. If the out put is high it will heat up quickly. Meaning that you can use it for a few seconds then you have to let it cool down. I have a 445nm Pen that is driven at 300mA. You can feel the heat after about 20 seconds then you have to let it cool down or risk burning up the diode.

I personally like lasers with better heat displacement. I have an arctic that you can keep running as long as you want, and it barely gets warm.

I would go with a larger laser because of the better heat displacement.

So minus the pen style(s?) i have up there what would you recommend, personally? We can continue this in PM if you like i'm unsure if there's a limit to the amount of posts you can make in a thread. Thanks :)

Is focusable better or not?

Ash

Pen-sized lasers have much less material for heatsinking, so they (usually) can't be left on for very long before you have to let them cool down. Yes, they are easier to break than larger lasers.
The flashlight-style lasers have large masses of aluminum for heatsinking, and are usually better made and have better battery options.
I would go with something focusable, and if you are going to get +150mW of green, you will want one with an IR filter.
Those glasses that you linked to look adequate, but I prefer the ZoneStealth ones: Protection Glasses for 532nm Green Laser or these if you don't get an IR-filtered green laser: Multiple Wavelength

I recommend Rayfoss's 200mW FLX. You may be able too have Faona (Rayfoss email-contact) to have an IR filter installed in that one.
O-like and Rayfoss have a good reputation for sending you a laser with the power that you order. :cool:
Good Luck

Looks good how much is an IR filter going to set me back to have it installed in that?

udanis

i'm unsure if there's a limit to the amount of posts you can make in a thread.

Nope none.

I would still recommend the optotronics, even though it is a pen. The company is much better and offers a very good product.

Is focusable better or not?

It really depends on what you want to use it for. Mostly all my lasers are focusable and I prefer focusable lasers.

Ash

Yep. They will install an IR filter for free if you ask, but usually the power of the laser decreases slightly.
If you are going to have Faona put an IR filter in, make sure she assures you that it will still be the advertised power (150mW or 200mW) after the filter is installed.
You can get one yourself for about $3 online (eBay?).

There's no such thing as a perfect optic. Generally with a decent IR filter, you lose about 5% of the green as well.

I don't recommend trying snoctony's (ebay seller mentioned above) unless you know what your getting in to. Those filters are pretty tiny, and really hard to position and mount.

Nova lasers sells a 10mm x 10mm IR filter that's much easier to deal with IMHO. But it costs more.