Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Death of a 12x

ped

Well got my 2 sleds from morgan :beer:

So straight into a heatsunk Aixiz it went, running fine at 700ma -6.2v , outputting around 901mW (Aixiz glass lens) , wasn't even warm! , so i thought....i have a couple more on the way so i'll push this to breaking point :) .

Started turning up the wick and got to 789ma 6.5v and it was at 998mW so i grabbed the camera...as it was focusing *pop* went the diode, below is the foto seconds after the diode died haha...i sooo wanted a snap of it pushing nearly a watt!. Found it interesting the voltage climb when it was running at 700ma -6.2v then upto 789ma 6.5v , i noticed the needle on the ammeter "flick" , that was probably the die breaking down.

Felt a little bad but i really wanted to know what i can push it to before my jayrob kit gets here, and you cant make an omelette without breaking some eggs right?

MEDIC!!!

bfkp6x.jpg

udanis

Wow thats a lot of power. I can't wait to get mine. What sled are these guys out of? SF-BW512L?

ped

Yup it was a SF-BW512L , little powerhouse.

DTR

I know even my graph shows me putting 720mA in one for 900mW but I would definitely keep it 600mA or under for the sake of your other diode. There still is very little data on how long these diodes will last at these high currents. If you go with 600mA you will still get somewhere close to 800mW +or- but even that is considered pushing it very hard.;)

Reactions: ped

ped

Yeah i hear ya DTR , on my jayrob build it's getting limited to 650-700mw , what i like about these diodes is the dont seem to heat as much as the 445's, which makes for a not so ugly duty cycle.

cd520

Yeah from the data gathered I'm going to go for 600mA's myself. Sled is enroute from Morgan as we speak. I'm waiting for an FP kit but if it doesnt come soon I may use the polished "Mo" host I have sitting here.

Geesh, I hate that sound. The "simiconductor snap" as I call it:)
I've heard it from a few RF power transistors in the past. NOT a good sound:(

ZRTMWA

Well got my 2 sleds from morgan :beer:

So straight into a heatsunk Aixiz it went, running fine at 700ma -6.2v , outputting around 901mW (Aixiz glass lens) , wasn't even warm! , so i thought....i have a couple more on the way so i'll push this to breaking point :) .

Started turning up the wick and got to 789ma 6.5v and it was at 998mW so i grabbed the camera...as it was focusing *pop* went the diode, below is the foto seconds after the diode died haha...i sooo wanted a snap of it pushing nearly a watt!. Found it interesting the voltage climb when it was running at 700ma -6.2v then upto 789ma 6.5v , i noticed the needle on the ammeter "flick" , that was probably the die breaking down.

Felt a little bad but i really wanted to know what i can push it to before my jayrob kit gets here, and you cant make an omelette without breaking some eggs right?

MEDIC!!!

bfkp6x.jpg

Check out this post of mine from OVER 1 YEAR AGO when I predicted, or rather, made an educated guess than 12x diodes would put out 900mW:

08-25-2009, 11:58 PM #31
ZRTMWA
Class 3R Laser

So, the output achieved from 8x diodes after they are overdriven is roughly double their normal peak output.

Damn!!!!! That means 12x diodes will possibly be able to be pushed to 900mW, if Sanyo is right about the 12x's putting out 450mW whilst still in the Blu Ray burner!!!!!!!

hehe I actually used math during Summer. And I finished the ratio.

Here is a link to the article that said Sanyo 12x's will be driven at 450mW. It can probably also be found on Sanyo's website: Sanyo's laser could bring 12x Blu-ray burners and 100GB discs -- Engadget

It's from this thread, 2nd page: http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/10x-blu-ray-burner-buffalo-42899.html

Isn't it funny how much the laser world can change in only 1 year?

DTR

Yeah i hear ya DTR , on my jayrob build it's getting limited to 650-700mw , what i like about these diodes is the dont seem to heat as much as the 445's, which makes for a not so ugly duty cycle.

I really have to tell you that 650-700mA is risky and would not call that limiting yourself. Especially since you have already lost one:cryyy:

It is a little different doing it in a bench test where you are only running it for a few seconds with a massive heatsink to get a power reading. And even then there is always the risk killing it.

With that said if you do set it in that range please keep track of running time as that data would be valuable to us.;)

ped

Yeah you may be right, i'll have a nose at the graphs on here and revise my decision :)

and @ rod

Yeah heard that sound many times, not in RF amps but in series pass transistors in PSU's haha, the sound of impending doom.

Morgan

I really have to tell you that 650-700mA is risky and would not call that limiting yourself. Especially since you have already lost one:cryyy:

It is a little different doing it in a bench test where you are only running it for a few seconds with a massive heatsink to get a power reading. And even then there is always the risk killing it.

With that said if you do set it in that range please keep track of running time as that data would be valuable to us.;)

These units are a little different guys, ;) . 650-700mW is only going to be about 500mA so it's not quite as bad.

I'm glad you got your sleds already. Sorry for your loss too. A moment of silence for the passing of a diode so young please...

To Anyone else doing some testing - It would be good to have some ramping figures. I don't know if you have any other figures between first light and death, ped, but more for the graphs would be valuable to all.

My advice... ? Don't bully your second so much! :D

M
:)

Last edited:

ped

Haha as soon as my other sleds arrive i'll plot the figures, i didnt on this one.

Toke

I have some drivers saying 80-500mA, it is nice to know that it will survive 500ma for quite a while. :D

Morgan

^ If they're cheap ones, Toke, be careful they don't spike at the very edge of 500mA. I've seen this happen a couple of times. Not so much of risk here perhaps but worth bearing in mind if you haven't already.

@ ped - I look forward to your figures for #2...

M
:)

DTR

That's funny I just now saw that you had said 650-700mW not mA.:D

Next time I should read before I respond.:twak: