Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dealings with Paul (paul1598419)

Not too long ago I had seen Paul saying that he had a couple of the newer 505nm diodes for sale. I had to grab one (to go with my 473nm, of course ;)) and asked him if he could put it in a module and install a driver on it. Sure enough he was willing. :D

He had some trouble thanks to a bad quality potentiometer on the driver but still got everything done. It's clear that he dedicated a good amount of his time for this, I'm glad to have a friend like him on LPF, no way I'd be able to do work that fine myself. He charged only for parts and absolutely nothing for his labor, and it was a pleasure to buy from him, very kind guy.

The module came working perfectly, as well as a spectrograph he printed for me and a couple other bits information. He measured it at 503.2nm and it's an awesome colour. I mounted it in an "indexable" heatsink, it'll be built into a host further down the road. See for yourself:

1z1gx37.jpg

There's a bit of splash, I might try a different lens if it bothers me.

Anyway, thanks Paul! :D

-E.P.

Of course this comes as no surprise but it's feedback that's welcomed & reassuring.
Two nice guys doing business in the hobby we all love.
Thanks for the feedback EP and well done Paul.

That beam looks fantastic and it's a very nice WL.

:beer:

Thank you, Sean. It was a pleasure doing this for you. It does look good. I love that color. A bluish green. It has the stock lens in it. You maybe able to find one that looks better to you. Once you have make sure to measure the power. :thanks:

BobMc

Glad things worked out well for both you guys. Beautiful color. Had Lifetime build me a 505 and a 480 last month in one of his pen hosts. Fell in love with the color. Can only wish they would come out with a 1 watt 505, that would be scary pretty. Enjoy. :)

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
That's a $exy looking beam shot, EP, you captured a nice shot of it, I have to agree, Paul is a great guy to work with! :yh:
BTW, do you happen know which driver paul used that he had the potentiometer troubles with?
I've been having pot/driver problems myself with a driver for that diode, and was wondering if they were the same driver.

:gj: to both you guys!

Thanks everyone. Paul, I'm really starting to love this wavelength, compared to a 532nm pointer it has an unmistakable blue tinge, and looks great on it's own.

BTG, Paul used the blitz linear driver from Survival, the one you linked to in Albert's thread a while ago. Looks like it might be a common issue?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Man, that sucks, I bought two of them just in case I had any problems, and it turns out that I had the same problem with both of them! I haven't got either of them working yet. :(
On the other hand though, it makes me feel a little better knowing that it's probably nothing that I did.

On my "Blitz Linear" drivers, once I set them to "low" range, I attached my dummy load (8 diodes)and battery, and could get no change in output with any adjustment at all; this was the same with both drivers.
I was always sure to unhook my power, and use a non-conductive screwdriver before making any adjustments, and the adjustments were always in very small increments.

The strange thing was that both drivers gave the exact same reading no matter which setting I used.

They both output the following numbers:

@ 9 diodes = 0.1mV, 8 diodes = 0.4mV, 7 diodes = 3.6mV, 6 diodes =16mV, 5 diodes = 138.5mV, 4,3,2 diodes = 190mV

Looks like I need to find out how Paul fixed the one for EP.

I have talked to Gary at SL, and he hadn't heard of any problems, and suggested that I ask here to see if anyone else has had any problems, and it looks like that would be a yes to that!

Paul was kind to characterise one of those diodes for its wavelength and let me get one too

Thanks Paul!

Reactions: GSS
I wish mine was closer to 503nm! That's a nice looking beam shot and sure to be waiting for the perfect host. They're some great builders here.

Hi, Jeff. Yes, same driver as yours. Since the Vf is so high, it s necessary to use two Li-ion batteries to get there. The pot is so small and so cheap, it was a real pain for me to adjust. Ended up setting it to 240 mA with a Vf ~5.5 volts. Make sure you don't short out anything around the low current pads as they are in the middle of the board and tiny. Good luck, buddy.

Just had another module made for me by Paul, this time 495nm!

As always Paul was extremely kind and helpful, and even acted as a sort of shipping relay with something else I was ordering from the states.

This wavelength is stunning, almost like turquoise:
20kbs09.jpg

From left to right; 503nm, 495nm, 473nm:

2i7tmid.jpg

Edit: The diode itself was bought from lazerman121 and shipped to Paul, where he built it into a module w/a driver & lens, then shipped it to me. One of these weekends I'll get to building module this into a host. :D

Last edited:

Encap

Just had another module made for me by Paul, this time 495nm!

As always Paul was extremely kind and helpful, and even acted as a sort of shipping relay with something else I was ordering from the states.
Edit: The diode itself was bought from lazerman121 and shipped to Paul, where he built it into a module w/a driver & lens, then shipped it to me. One of these weekends I'll get to building module this into a host. :D

Nice EP --beautiful beam shots.

Nice work Paul :beer:

Last edited: