Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

De-Canned NUBM44-V2 (with pics)

MurphyMurph

A few weeks ago I ordered a couple NUBM44-V2’s. Unfortunately, (due to user error) one of the diodes must have had some sort of particle on the lens. (An expensive lesson learned to always have some canned-air on hand when changing lenses!) This particle was instantly fused to the diode window and would not come off with lens cleaner, alcohol, or even acetone.
2 Burnt Diode LPF.jpg
I don't own a de-canning tool, so with no other options, I decided it couldn’t hurt to attempt the drill method. Never having done this before, I tried DTR’s method
(from another thread) of putting the diode in the chuck of a drill and spinning the diode with a serrated edge pressed against it.
(I’m sure some of you are cringing right now!)
I'll note: the following was done as a last resort.
My choice of Laser Safety Glasses were prescription safety glasses that I have for my day job, I wouldn't recommend trying this without some form of Saftey Glasses.
3.6 Saftey Goggles LPF.jpg

3.5 Diode Drill LPF.jpg
The process took about 5 minutes, (I took my time) pushing just hard enough to cut through the can, but not hard enough to have the diode fly away once separated. After getting through, I took a second to marvel at the beauty of this thing. I still cant believe the amount of power that comes out of something so tiny!
4 Diode Decanned 2 LPF.jpg5 Diode Decanned 3 LPF.jpg

It's very difficult to tell in the first two pictures below, but the de-canned NUBM44-V2 is significantly dimmer than the one still canned, I don't yet own a LPM, but I would say the de-canned (Left) is half as bright as the canned (Right). Dont get me wrong, its still intensly bright, but it's easier to see the difference in the third picture below.
Both diodes driven by ACS5500BU Buck Driver with G-8 Lenses

Standard Exopsure:
6 DeCanned Comparison LPF.jpg
Long Exposure: (beams look purple)
7 DeCanned Comparison 2 LPF.jpg
20200302_004136.jpg
I assume this diode is going to have a much shorter life from being de-canned, but I just wanted to share my experience of de-canning this insanely powerful diode!
-Murph

Attachments

• 1 Burnt Diode 2 LPF.jpg
    1 Burnt Diode 2 LPF.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 17

Check this out @ threshold and full power, it's amazing the facet can take it, but without the can/backfill particulate in the air will burn onto the facet and damage the coating, then moisture from the air can damage the facet over time resulting in output loss/failure.0921-6.jpg0921-7.jpg

Last edited:

MurphyMurph

Check this out @ threshold and full power, it's amazing the facet can take it, but without the can/backfill particulate in the air will burn onto the facet and damage the coating, then moisture from the air can damage the facet over time resulting in output loss/failure.View attachment 68241View attachment 68242
Thanks for the info, that's a good shot of what the eye can't see, especially while wearing glasses!

I wonder if using Teflon tape with the lens might be enough to keep additional moisture out so the diode doesn't degrade? I'd love to see someone do a study of canned vs de-canned performance over time with this diode..

MurphyMurph

I wonder if using Teflon tape with the lens might be enough to keep additional moisture out so the diode doesn't degrade? I'd love to see someone do a study of canned vs de-canned performance over time with this diode..
I was actually thinking of doing thermal adhesive since that's what I have on hand, but Teflon tape seems like a much better option. Less chance of getting something sticky on the lens and then having no way to clean it.

I’ve often wondered this🤔
SGD

I understand why you de-canned the 044 with the fused window....just as an experiment...OK...But...Why would one de-can the 044 V2 diode ??
It has no Ball lens to get rid of !! ??

I have acheived very low divergence performance using the 044 V2 with the G8 lens and a set of C-lenses....like 0.44 mRad

0.44 mRad !! That is tight !!

I do think the combination of some over-drive and exposure to atmospheric dust and moisture is what degrades a de-canned NUBM series.

And think about it....different areas /seasons have different atmospheric moisture....and surly different levels of dust !!....but....overall....I can envision accelerated die damage with humidity and dust !!

ANYWAY.....Just my 2 cents....Free Today for you !!!
CDBeam

Last edited:

MurphyMurph

I understand why you de-canned the 044 with the fused window....just as an experiment...OK...But...Why would one de-can the 044 V2 diode ??
It has no Ball lens to get rid of !! ??

I have acheived very low divergence performance using the 044 V2 with the G8 lens and a set of C-lenses....like 0.44 mRad 0.44 mRad !!
That is tight !!

I do think the combination of some over-drive and exposure to asmospheric dust and moisture is what degrades a de-canned NUBM series.

And think about it....different areas /seasons have different atmospheric moisture....and surly different levels of dust !!....but....overall....I can envision accelerted die damage with humidity and dust !!

ANYWAY.....Just my 2 cents....Free Today for you !!!
CDBeam
The 044 that I decanned was V2. The reason I removed the can was because the output was a splash of color on the wall, no matter how I adjusted the lens, there was blue splatter everywhere. At first, I thought I idiotically used the plastic protective lens that came with the module, (it appeared to be melting) but that wasn't the case unfortunately.
But I will definitely take your $.02 as I have not experimented that much with combining different lenses.

Well...we all learn from each other here !!! New Members learn from Older Members....and surly....Older Members learn from New Members...' We stand on each others shoulders "

It should not matter at all where the insight comes from....I am just thankful that guidance and help are shared....and that is the nature of this place !!

Sure....we have our little differences...(And BIG differences outside the World of Lasers)....but....mainly, we are a thankful and humble group.
You will see a thirst for knowledge and a genuine Esprit de Corps here !! " One is glad to be of Service " CDBeam

It would be interesting to know just how long it takes for this diode to fail. If you could keep a record of the days after you decanned it and how long it was on for. It will fail.

MurphyMurph

It would be interesting to know just how long it takes for this diode to fail. If you could keep a record of the days after you decanned it and how long it was on for. It will fail.
Yeah, I'll try to keep a log for it, maybe if I get a LPM, I can better track the output as it degrades. Any recommendations on one?

Laserbee makes some great LPMs. There used to be more options, but not so much any longer. The owner's name is Jerry and his user name here is lasersbee. I think the name laserbee was taken when he first logged on here.