Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Custom Host for O-Like Module

Paypal sent. You have money.
My O-Like modules should arrive in 7-10 days and I will attempt to provide a review for the forum.

noooooo its sold!!!!!! shiny... must have... it
why is it whenever i have money i have to buy from a company...

Thats a nice host, if you get some more made put me down for wanting a couple. I'll keep tabs on this thread but if you can send me a PM when more are available. I don't need a polished unit, I have everything to shine it up.

Thanks
Chuck

I like your hosts, but un-plated or un-painted aluminum with a finish that nice can be scratched from finger nails. Are you clear anodizing them or are they raw aluminum?

I'd like to buy one if / when you make another. How long do they take to make?

looks awesome.

thanks,
Kendall

Well, the hosts I ordered arrived today ... I almost want to lie about them so noone else buys them and I can monopolize this mans production...

SWEET! Just plain sweet! A little tricky to get the module set at the right depth but literally, if you have 1 minute of your life to spare and a green module, these will have you looking great and lazing like a maniac!

(Hint: just get the module inserted into the heatsink and then use a CR123 battery to set the depth, then back the module out like 1/4" before you tighten the set screw and BAM - done deal!)

Great Hosts, Amigo - Thanks! I'll take some beamshots with these hosts tonight at the show, they are the next best thing I've seen to the Kryton - VERY Slick!

Well, the hosts I ordered arrived today ... I almost want to lie about them so noone else buys them and I can monopolize this mans production...

SWEET! Just plain sweet! A little tricky to get the module set at the right depth but literally, if you have 1 minute of your life to spare and a green module, these will have you looking great and lazing like a maniac!

(Hint: just get the module inserted into the heatsink and then use a CR123 battery to set the depth, then back the module out like 1/4" before you tighten the set screw and BAM - done deal!)

Great Hosts, Amigo - Thanks! I'll take some beamshots with these hosts tonight at the show, they are the next best thing I've seen to the Kryton - VERY Slick!
Hay thanks, glad you liked them.

had an idea......
the set screw kinda messes up the appearance...

so, what if you were to make the head of the host seperate, and have the top portion if the body milled out enough for the driver and spring to go through, but not the brass cylinder of the module, and when you screw the head down onto the body, it's screws down against the module (this would also ensure a good case-positive connection) and eliminate the need for a set screw.

here i drew a picture :)

Attachments

• work-of-art.JPG
    work-of-art.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 189
That is a great idea and would work very well.

only problem is it will make for more work and higher cost of the host. I wish i could find a nice design that people like and can be sold for about 20.00

Sk8r, DO IT - these are really slick!

Just for the record (and to extol the heatsinking virtues of these hosts) last night at the show I was snapping some beamshots before we got started (for the review on these hosts) ... Anyhow, this really cute chick with HUGE, um, eyes came up and started talking to me, well long story short I put the lasers back in my case and started the show. 3 songs later (maybe 14-15 minutes) I smelled something funny, opened the laser case (been there, done that, know the smell) and yep, my prized 173mW peak 156mW avg grenn SXD module was roasting a hole in the foam of the case, big time.

15 MINUTES at 150mW+ and the laser worked just fine, the outside of the host was barely warm!

Again, I heartily stand behind these hosts, period!

Oh, and Matt - that's a good idea except if you are using SXD or Rayfoss modules they're different lengths, so your idea (while again, quite good) would limit these to O-like modules only.

Here's a shot of this host with a Dilda and Kryton, for comparison:

_Ehgemus.jpg

Last edited: