Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

*custom host design*

is it a "just add diode" host? will there be a battery contact board already installed??
PM me your address! Ill get them out this week for ya bud! I just don't think your ready to start messing around with a bare diode! keep it simple for now. If ehgemus does a custom build for ya just be sure it will be easy for you to complete! Like just adding the module that already has the driver preinstalled. All you have to do is put the module in the heat sink and solder the leads together add batteries and poof your done! Once you do some more research and practice soldering and get more familiar with the world of lasers like the ins and outs that's when you should go for the full build experience! It happens to often where a newcomer does a build that requires lots of experience and messes up which will deter you from the hobby!

It's an direct press, but I told him to make it just fitting the module. Don't you think the (JAD) is too easy :p. Alright will send adress right now.

APEX1

if your comfortable with it than go for it! it may seem easy but in all honesty its not! if even a spec of dust falls into the diode window or the tiniest bit of static shocks the diode it will be shot! also you will need a test load to set the driver and make sure its set at the right amps. and if you don't have much experience with soldering and you over expose the diode to heat when soldering the driver on you could damage or destroy it as well!!!

Last edited:
if your comfortable with it than go for it! it may seem easy but in all honesty its not! if even a spec of dust falls into the diode window or the tiniest bit of static shocks the diode it will be shot! also you will need a test load to set the driver and make sure its set at the right amps. and if you don't have much experience with soldering and you over expose the diode to heat when soldering the driver on you could damage or destroy it as well!!!

Seriously? I didn't know that diodes were so weak... Got to be careful, couldn't I just buy an already set driver?

Wow nooblaser that's an incredible offer. Those helping hands are extremely helpful. The magnifying lens makes soldering far easier also.

Thanks very much noobphaser215 ^^^^
I will do an unboxing thread as soon as I get it. I hope I could gave you more reps than you need.... Lol

Seriously? I didn't know that diodes were so weak... Got to be careful, couldn't I just buy an already set driver?

Yes, that is what he is trying to tell you to do. What noobphaser215 and VisibleGreen are telling you is that if you do everything yourself on your first build something will go wrong. You will be disappointed and it will cost you money. Do it the easy way, or close to it, and then as you become familiar with the parts and the problems, what to do and what not to do, then try a more complex build. Then on your 3rd or 4th build try doing everything yourself if you want to.

Pressing your diode yourself and soldering to the pins is one place where people sometimes screw up, setting the driver current, soldering the driver to the pins, or heat sinking a driver to the heat sink or pill the wrong way and causing a short. Pressing a round driver or battery contact board into the brass ring and into the pill and soldering to the ring looks easy but somehow people sometimes screw that up. When screwing all the parts together many people twist their wires and break a pin off their diode (not fixable), some have even done this multiple times. Some have killed many diodes because of some mistake, there is a thread about that here somewhere. If you DIY all the way on your first build, you are at very high risk of something going wrong. Wait until you are very knowledgable about lasers and all the parts.

Alan

Last edited:
Yes, that is what he is trying to tell you to do. What noobphaser215 and VisibleGreen are telling you is that if you do everything yourself on your first build something will go wrong. You will be disappointed and it will cost you money. Do it the easy way, or close to it, and then as you become familiar with the parts and the problems, what to do and what not to do, then try a more complex build. Then on your 3rd or 4th build try doing everything yourself if you want to.

Pressing your diode yourself and soldering to the pins is one place where people sometimes screw up, setting the driver current, soldering the driver to the pins, or heat sinking a driver to the heat sink or pill the wrong way and causing a short. Pressing a round driver or battery contact board into the brass ring and into the pill and soldering to the ring looks easy but somehow people sometimes screw that up. When screwing all the parts together many people twist their wires and break a pin off their diode (not fixable), some have even done this multiple times. Some have killed many diodes because of some mistake, there is a thread about that here somewhere. If you DIY all the way on your first build, you are at very high risk of something going wrong. Wait until you are very knowledgable about lasers and all the parts.

Alan

Okay. I will make it as not complicated as it can be :wave:.
It's just that those custom hosts are too beautiful to resist :gun:
But thanks anyway I will be careful.

MG100

i could make u a aluminum house with a brass heat sink with those spec for $75 but it would take me some time probably finish it by January

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hey MG, $75 and a 5 month wait isn't too bad for an aluminum "house", but for a basic laser host .....not so much. I can't imagine a new member, anxious to build his first laser, wanting to wait till next year to get a host.
I see this is your first post, so welcome to LPF; it's not mandatory, but it's probably a good idea to make an introductory post in the welcome section.

Last edited:

APEX1

most of the hosts that sinner and ehgemus make are jad hosts, you should go with one of them! they are all works of art!

MG100

ya iam actually a student at a tech school in machine shop so its not to hard to make i could do any destines or even knurling, but scene its summer ill have to w8 till i get back in school

MG100

ps i just joined the site today but i have been visting it offten for the past few weeks, and even built a 1W blue laser from some links ppl have posted

MG100

ya i under stand y its ok its just that in school we get the materials for free and the machians for free and we have to make something or elts we get a bad grade so i figure y not make money doing it lol. heres a engen i made in school and the 1W laser
view
view
link to pictures because the pictures wont work https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7C21D2O7yjqMUxNU1BXVUpINkk/view?usp=sharing and https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7C21D2O7yjqQ2dpMG5zcU1oU1E

Last edited:

APEX1

please don't double post, use the edit link to add comments, its not allowed