Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Current for the 12x murder experiment.

• Thread starter Deleted member 8382
  • Start date

What current would you want the 12x diode to be tortured at?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Will ---
We don't want to drive REDs too much above the observed knee in the P/I graph. As I pointed out, the BR diodes don't seem to display similar kinks in their graphs. That's why all the testing.

HMike

sorry, I'm not being very clear. I understand reds can't be overdriven. but why not blu-ray burners? Our testing indicates stable operation at 4 times the rated output. So why is the rated/commonly used output so low?

will

Raybo

Hey guyz -- There are a few vets trying to do this in a scientific approach. If you don't have a 12X under some applied current, wait for the results.
OR do what I did --- BUY a 12X and throw caution to the wind -- Turn it up to 600 mW --- if you dare. Otherwise, don't question the those trying to provide you with the best info available. Understand that we here push laser diodes well beyond rated specs.

HMike

Do you mean that the actual testing of the diode in question is better than a random poll? :thinking:

Hummm......

IgorT

Since we don't want to loose time, poll ends in 3 days, more than enough IMO. This poll is public

Now that i voted, i can see where the majority went. Also, i thought the poll would calculate the average, not just show, where the most votes went...

The part i don't understand is 420mA. I might be willing to go to 400mA, it's an absolutelly GIANT leap from 300mA which we determined to be "safe" for 8x's.

420mA on the other hand, that's like pushing an open can to 760mA... Just to put things in perspective....

At the same time, many requests were for 550mW when i asked for requests in power, not current, and this 12x diode IS producing 550mW at the current i already set it to.

That's why i thought the current was appropriate, especially since it's a low efficiency 12x, and others WOULD produce 600mW at the same current...

In any case, before i was told of this thread, i thought i was expected to make the final decision.

If that is not the case, it's quite a bit easier for me. Also, the higher we go, the less work for me... :whistle:

But seriously, i was away for almost three weeks, a lot can happen during this time, is there any new data we can work off?

Like, can people tell me what 12x's are being set to?

Unfortunatelly a 12x set to a certain current for a month does not mean the test subject will survive the torture chamber for more than two hours of cycling, but input would still be helpful.

I paused the experiment almost immediatelly when i heard the current might not be the same as desired.

Let's work this out, and decide on the final current, so i can restart the torture today. :yh:

EDIT: We can of course push this poor 12x diode to 600mW after lens, but the result will be how long a low efficiency 12x survives the current required to produe 600mW and the resulting optical flux.

Last edited:
Reactions: mfo

Dusty

I already posted in the 12x murder fund thread, but my vote is to keep it where it is in terms of current, but if more people wanted it pushed harder I think 400mA would be ok...:beer:

Asherz

450mA sounds like a good number and lets us see what these can do.

Are you serious? Read Igor's post.

This poll seems kind of pointless when loads of members are just voting without doing any research on what are reasonable currents to run it at without the test being pointless. Yes this diode is trying to be pushed, but not to a point where the current is ridiculous.

We can of course push this poor 12x diode to 600mW after lens, but the result will be how long a low efficiency 12x survives the current required to produe 600mW and the resulting optical flux.

I think that is the answer most people want.

To be honest, I think the whole process of having to vote on a current is childish in the extreme - the donation didn't come with a "but we have the right to choose the current" clause - it was made freely and without obligation, and therefore I personally will stand by whatever Igor determines to be a sensible value.

No I didnt donate since I just found out about these forums all but 2 weeks ago. I'm just giving my opinion.

D

Deleted member 8382

I made the poll public in order to exclude the votes IgorT consider. I don't have the power/right to decide anything nor does this poll do. I just want IgorT to see the votes and decide by his own!

D

Deleted member 8382

Since I won't waste one hour finding what voters donated or not I made the total average and the vets average. I took the 450 or above vote as a "460" and the 360 or below as a "350". I couldn't think of a better way and I doubt most of the voters of the first option meant something like 500!

actual results:

total average: 440.71 mA
vets average: 424.0 mA

Since IgorT has already set the driver to 420, I would leave it like it is and start it, what do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator: